Glitches on the message post screen

View previous topic :: View next topic
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2011 10:07
  • Post subject: Glitches on the message post screen
There are a number of glitches on the forum message platform that drive me crazy. Here are a few: If you type out a message and then want to put an emoticon in an earlier part of the message after the fact, the program will only let you put the emoticon at the end. Just now I wanted to put insert an emoticon after posting a You Tube video and for some reason the program put in another [You Tube] at the end. While I'm on the subject, posting a you tube video often requires a few attempts and is a trial and error process. Same for posting images and the quoting part of someone's message can be like performing delicate surgery.

Has anyone else experienced issues like these?

Can these things be improved, so that posting messages is a bit more user friendly and relatively free of quirky glitches?

Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/16/2011 12:09
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly, thanks for the feedback. If you know the bbcode syntax, you can type it anywhere without using the buttons/icons. I'm not sure why the cursor/caret behaves the way it does, but I think what happens is that after you click a button, the bbcode is added at the end of your text, so to go back and add a smiley within your existing text can be fiddly if you are using the buttons, but if you write your message in sequence, without editing afterwards, it's less of a problem.

This issue might have been addressed in a newer release of phpBB (the forum software used on BEA), but other areas of the site are higher priority to be developed at the moment (particularly the items on the roadmap) and this as well depends on the amount of time that I have to spend on BEA (outside of my day job as this site does not pay my bills). The forum software will be upgraded/replaced at some point, but I think this is more something for 2012 than 2011 as it is quite a big task.

EDIT: Now amended the Javascript so that inserting inline bbcode is now a little better when using the toolbar icons.

EDIT 2: Also discovered/fixed an issue with IE9 not displaying some forum images. If you use this browser, it could explain another one of the issues that you reported.
  • Visit poster's website