Best Ever Films of The 60's [Closed]

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 03/10/2016 16:15
  • Post subject: Best Ever Films of The 60's [Closed]

I'm (very) glad to announce that it's time for BEA film poll focusing on the 60's Cool Diving into the peaks career moments of Kubrick, Fellini, Godard and Bergman.

I'm looking forward to how this one will turn out. Rules are the same as all the other times, but here's a reminder.

The gist/ rules:

BEA's composes a list of our favourite films of the 60's Smile

Anything with an American release date past January 1st 1960 will be accepted. A film released in May 1959 at Cannes, but was later released in the US in February 1960 would still be eligible. Documentaries will be allowed, but shorts (<25 min) will not. No films released past December 31st 1969 will be accepted.

All lists will be PMed to me, maxing out at 100. The final list will be 100 films. This time around, I'll be accepting lists of any denotation up to 100. The size of your list determines it's weight.

Lists will also be accepted in IMDb and Letterboxd format. Deadline will be April 9th.

Some notes about what will be accepted:
Wavelength
Dog Star Man
Monterey Pop
A Charlie Brown Christmas
La Jetée
Simon of The Desert

What will not be accepted:

The Bakery Girl of Monceau
The Snails
Lemon
Hiroshima Mon Amour
The Hand

Last edited by Hayden on 04/10/2016 14:35; edited 8 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France
  • Posted: 03/10/2016 16:45
  • Post subject: Re: Best Ever Films of The 60's [Deadline TBD]
Hayden wrote:

What will not be accepted:
[i]La Jetée (sorry)

Top 5 for me, won't play as I feel my list wouldn't be a true representative of what the 60s in film are for me.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42
  • Posted: 03/10/2016 17:02
  • Post subject:
Have my list pretty well set, but first must ask about Hiroshima mon Amour. Bith IMDb and Letterboxd call it 1959, but it wasn't eligible for an Academy Award nomination until 1961. Acceptable or no?

Not too much concern either way, either it's on my 60's list or 50's, so whatever you personally pick is fine by me.
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 03/10/2016 17:04
  • Post subject:
I don't know about Le Jetee Sad

I agree, but I feel like it would be unfair to include it. Perhaps I could drop shorts to a 25 minute minimum for the 60's? It's not a super serious thing, but I want everything to be fair and everyone to be happy with the result.

Opinions?
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 03/10/2016 17:05
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
Have my list pretty well set, but first must ask about Hiroshima mon Amour. Bith IMDb and Letterboxd call it 1959, but it wasn't eligible for an Academy Award nomination until 1961. Acceptable or no?

Not too much concern either way, either it's on my 60's list or 50's, so whatever you personally pick is fine by me.

Hiroshima Mon Amour is going to be considered '59. Sorry Nutso.
Norman Bates

France
  • Posted: 03/10/2016 18:52
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:

It's a 1959 film.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France
  • Posted: 03/10/2016 18:55
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I don't know about Le Jetee Sad

I agree, but I feel like it would be unfair to include it. Perhaps I could drop shorts to a 25 minute minimum for the 60's? It's not a super serious thing, but I want everything to be fair and everyone to be happy with the result.

Opinions?

I wasn't denying your right to play your game the way you want it, and I didn't intend toi have the rules bent in any way. I understand there must be criteria, and I'm willing to abide by them - it's just that a 60s list without La jetée has no meaning for me - which is perfectly all right, I'm sure the list will be great and I don't consider myself indispensable for it, thank God. You'll just have to do with one list less Smile
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42
  • Posted: 03/10/2016 19:00
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Hiroshima Mon Amour is going to be considered '59. Sorry Nutso.

No apologies necessary, just wanted to be sure to include it in the right list.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/11/2016 03:48
  • Post subject:
Yeah I think it's fine to lower the time minimum from here on, especially as there is likely to be a (slightly) smaller pool of films that will appear on the 60s lists. I mean I do understand that it's hard to compare a 28-minute movie to others that are least an hour longer, just like it's hard to compare EPs to full-length albums, but 20-25 minute can be a reasonable cutoff, I know of some great 70s film especially that fell between the 20-40 minute mark but had to be left off the last list- and La Jetee is surely one of the biggest "short" movies ever.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 03/11/2016 04:47
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Yeah I think it's fine to lower the time minimum from here on, especially as there is likely to be a (slightly) smaller pool of films that will appear on the 60s lists.

I'm torn on it, but I think I might lower it to 25 minutes... considering my views on EP's, I guess it'd be hypocritical of me Laughing

It's just that there's a large amount of important movies from the 60's that just happen to be short. It'd allow La Jetee, Blow Job, La Rivière du Hibou and Scorpio Rising to make the cut, as well as a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Hm.. Think Definitely will get back on that tomorrow. If anyone has any serious objection of this, just let me know.