Created my acct 4 years ago, but just started using it now

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kingturtle
  • Posted: 03/11/2016 16:12
  • Post subject: Created my acct 4 years ago, but just started using it now
Hi all,

I am 49 year old music lover. I dig all sorts of music, as long as it moves me. The Beatles, Art Pepper, Jackie Wilson, Tame Impala, Blondie, The Softies...you name it.

I am working on an extensive personal list of my all-time favorite LPs. I am compiling them in a Google Docs spreadsheet. It should be ready for sharing in May 2017. It's like my own personal version of the Grammys.

My 20 Categories (so far) are: Jazz Vocalist; Jazz Big Band; Jazz Bebop / hard Bop; Jazz Cool / West Coast; Jazz Avant-Garde / Free Jazz; Jazz Intermodal; R&B / Soul / Gospel; Hip Hop; Blues; Rocknroll / Rockabilly; Rock / Psychedelic / Pop; Indie/New Wave; Proto-Punk/Punk; Folk / Country / Western; Non-U.S. Folk; Lounge; Dance/Club; Experimental; Comedy; Spoken Word.

I am using Spotify and BestAlbumsEver to help me out.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello Smile
undefined
  • Posted: 03/11/2016 17:46
  • Post subject:
welcome! Like the categories (especially all the subs for jazz), though if I might suggest, with all the jazz and rock sub-categories, have you considered more categories for electronic music other than dance/club and maybe experimental? Also do your Grammys consider classical?
Kingturtle
  • Posted: 03/11/2016 18:15
  • Post subject:
At first I started with just Jazz Vocals and Jazz Instrumentals as categories. Jazz Instrumentals started getting too many per year so I started dividing it up. If Dance/Club starts to fill up, or if I come across LPs I like that don't fit into Dance/Club, I'll definitely subdivide it. What comes to your mind for subdivisions of Dance/Club and of Experimental?

As for classical music, I don't know if I have the ear (yet) to distinguish between a great and a mediocre recording of most pieces. That might be a project all unto itself that I could start in a few years. I imagine it would take a long time to listen to and evaluate the all the classical music out there. It's a lifetime in itself.
undefined
  • Posted: 03/11/2016 18:40
  • Post subject:
not really suggesting dance/club should be split up so much as there should be at least one separate category to distinguish between that and electronic not designed explicitly for dancing. Personally I'd have quite a few sub-divisions but I think at the very least between dance-centric electronic music and so called "headphone listening" electronic stuff

Kingturtle wrote:
I imagine it would take a long time to listen to and evaluate the all the classical music out there. It's a lifetime in itself.

More than that I'd say. I could listen to nothing but classical music until death and the amount I'd hear would still be comparatively nonexistent
ScumBum
  • Posted: 03/11/2016 18:50
  • Post subject:

Link