SLP #4: The Taplist

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 08/10/2016 20:57
  • Post subject:
alright yeah so I've been listening to this actually fairly regularly since you posted. Easily my favorite of any of these so far. That Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith was beyond amazing, and I really enjoyed the one from "Donna Summer" ( Laughing ). It's interesting, idk if it was deliberate but you seem to have done a cool job here of contextualizing jazz and various forms of electronic music so as to highlight their similarities. Who would've thought Bérangère Maximin/Fennesz would've flowed so well into Joe McPhee? Yeah terrific work. Can we expect a second volume?
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2016 08:15
  • Post subject:
oh hey thanks! oh man if you havent heard jason forrest's (aka "donna summer") albums, they are really worth hearing. but yeah I havent been keepin up with these cause i dont have a spotify subscirption any more, so id feel weird abt doin another one cause i cant get thru any of these with ads but i really should cause some of these seen well thought out. but yeah if anyone wants to pm me links to downloadable versions of their mixes I assure you those would be downloaded and listened to. im going to post an idm mix in my diary thread soon so listen to that cause its gonna be awesome.

while I have your attention, how do you all feel about sync listens? I've been syncin up with people from another message board to listen to two albums from the nurse with wound list each week.. doing two every week, currently have broadcasts goin on tuesdays 5:30 PST. Anyone here interested in somethin like that? currently doing it at 5:30 pm pst tuesdays, but doing two a week will go into 2019 so i am down to adjust anygroup listening sessions to get larger numbers goin. this week included the brast burn album which i cant recommend enough, great stuff. and next week is capt beefheart. meet me in my diary if yr interested.

also dbz i will write a compelling argument for the valerio tricoli album soon but part of me feels unequppied cause i havent listened to his weird rock band 3/4had been eliminated or whatever its called, and they have an album coming out on oren ambarchi's label black truffle and I really need to solidify my background here cause it all seems like id really like it. but still theres a lot to talk abt with clonic earth, cause i actually bought vixit too, but the record came all covered in paper scraps and actually the russolo tribute stuff is interesting but not as good as the other tricoli solo stuff. but this 3/4 stuff seems rly interesting so i dont even know

also DUDE did you know that kaitlyn aurelia smith ended up moving *NEXT DOOR* to suzanne ciani so naturally their collaboration is the new FRKWYS and thats awesome and coming in september (I think?) and i'm so psyched
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2016 23:36
  • Post subject:
1. Terry Riley - G Song
I thought this had an absolutely fantastic entrance. I wish the tone of the wind instrument (Oboe?) was slightly different... I've heard smoother Oboes... and if it were, I think would have liked this much more. Somehow that was a turn off for me, but musically a fantastic arrangement.

2. Bérangère Maximin - Knitting In The Air (feat. Fennesz)
Possibly second favorite of the mix. Reminded me of the elements of Björk that I like, but a little more "artsy" for a lack of better word. I love the play with all the different metallic type sounds, and the repetitive vocal. I do wish it went somewhere though... I felt it was a bit stagnant.

3. Joe McPhee Po Music - Oleo (Take 1)
Cool. I am not that into jazz, but that walking bass was impressive... he was all over the place and in very high registers which are hard to execute so clearly. Very impressive. What was the electronic element? The sax for a moment made me laugh... sounded like a duck, but also was impressive to have almost taken the place of the lacking percussion.

4. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - When I Try, I'm Full
Probably my favorite of the mix so far. Reminds me a bit of Cornelius' Point.

5. Leafcutter John - Khom?s
Somehow the steel string with slid guitar sound the whole time I was thinking... hmmm, I wonder if that is synth or real because it sounds so believable. I'm leaning towards actual guitar... that distracted me from the rest, sorry. Other than that, I was quite intrigued mentally. A plethora of unique/custom sounds. Interesting space the vocals took up.

6. Nettle - As Nettle As I Wannabe (Donna Summer Remix)
I like bombastic music, and this did the trick.

7. Oval - Untitled [Ovalcommers Track 1]
Oooh... me likey. I don't think I've heard these tones put to music before and it was tantalizing.

8. The New Sound Of Numbers - Luminous September
For me... it was like Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper had a baby.

9. The Other People Place - You Said You Want Me
It was chill, but a little too background music for my taste. I felt like I was in a W hotel.

10. Black To Comm - Hands
Ok fine. This takes the cake. Somehow I was really taken by this one and it totally enveloped my state of conscious. Fantastic. I know it is simple, but somehow the contrast between the rhythm and "melody" made me feel like I was on a subway train and just brought back a flash of the A Train in NYC, the Red Line in LA, U4 in Vienna, and U6 in Munich. Of course in the beginning it maybe felt like the internal carnal instinct/rush/adrenaline of life/stress, and then is taken over by this almost zen experience in the train... idk... I fell in love.

Overall, I have difficulty connecting with this music emotionally somehow. It all tickles my brain quite well, but maybe I haven't had time to build some kind of emotional response to it just yet (but that's often what I find with this type of music and I've been trying off and on for 5 years, with smaller stints earlier than that). For me those are the two big things intellectual/mental stimulation and spiritual/emotional good vibrations... if those jam with me, baby, I'm in love. The last song did the trick though.
  • Visit poster's website