My discoveries per year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 153, 154, 155  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/26/2016 19:38
  • Post subject: 1973 (3)
So I listened to Future Days by Can and as I already expected (I also listened to Tago Mayo previously), it is not really my type of music:maybe a bit too eerie and atmospheric for my taste. Although the last track was building up to nice finale I will again not include it in my 1973 chart.

Next is Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock also an album with only four long tracks. I'm not as much a jazz lover as a rock lover but I sometimes like it when jazz is fusioned with other styles of music so I'm curious to find out if I will like this album.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/27/2016 19:54
  • Post subject: 1973 (4)
And here are two more albums I listened to:

Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock (no 17 on the 1973 overall chart): not my cup of tea at all is all I can say about this album.

Catch A Fire by the Wailers (19): this is just pure reggae as I like with one hit (Stir it Up) and many other very good reggae songs. Also nice that Peter Tosh was also on this album. Definitely a welcome addition to my personal chart of 1973

Last one for 1973 is Artaud by Pescado Rabioso, which seems to be Argentinian folkrock.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/28/2016 19:07
  • Post subject: 1973 (5)
And the last album I listened to of 1973 was Artaud by Pescado Rabiosa, an Argentian album which can be best described as folkprog: some nice guitar playing but not enough to make it to my final chart of 1973.

Here is the conclusion for 1973:

Rank Title By Band - old rank To New Rank
1 The Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd - 5 to 5
2 Houses Of The Holy by Led Zeppelin - 6 to 6
3 Quadrophenia by The Who - 13 to 13
4 Innervisions by Stevie Wonder - 18 to 19
5 Selling England By The Pound by Genesis - to listen to A No
6 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John - to listen to A No
7 Raw Power by The Stooges - A No to A No
8 Band On The Run by Paul McCartney & Wings- 11 to 11
9 Aladdin Sane by David Bowie - 10 to 10
10 (pronounced 'lÛ´h-'ní©rd 'skin-'ní©rd)by Lynyrd Skynyrd - 1 to 1
11 Berlin by Lou Reed - 4 to 4
12 The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle by Bruce Springsteen- to listen to A No
13 For Your Pleasure by Roxy Music - 3 to 3
14 Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield - 17 to 18
15 Future Days by Can - to listen to A No
16 Closing Time by Tom Waits - 2 to 2
17 Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock - to listen to A No
18 Sabbath Bloody Sabbath by Black Sabbath - 15 to 16
19 Catch A Fire by The Wailers - to listen to 15
20 Artaud by Pescado Rabioso - to listen to A No
22 Paris 1919 by John Cale - 7 to 7
28 Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. by Bruce Springsteen - 16 to 17
32 Desperado by Eagles - 14 to 14
35 Stranded by Roxy Music - 9 to 9
53 Space Ritual by Hawkwind - 8 to 8
119 Marjory Razorblade by Kevin Coyne - 12 to 12

1973 was not a bad year with some really good albums but most of them I already owned/knew. Of the 7 albums I have listened to, only 1 made it to my personal top chart of 1973: Catch A Fire by The Wailers.

The next year I will explore is 1978.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/28/2016 19:53
  • Post subject: 1978 (1)
And this is the start of my discovery of the musical year of 1978. Upto now I have kept it limited to the top 20 but 1978 is such a good musical year that I am going to take on the BEA top 50.
Of that top 50 I own or at least have listened to 15 albums (+ 1 I have listened to partly) so I will have 34,5 albums to listen to in this 1978 session.

There are 9 albums in my current top list of 1978 which are not featured in the BEA top 50 of 1978 of which even my number one: The Australian band The Saints with Eternally Yours. Also the other ones deserve to be in the top 50.
The lowest ranked album is from the hardrock band The Godz which has one excellent track: Under The Table which has one of the best intros ever.
There are two albums of the Kids, a fantastic Belgian Punk band but I suppose it's normal that not everybody knows it.

So the first album to listen to is the Cars from the Cars of which I know (and like) already a number of tracks of which of course My Best Friend's Girl.

BEA Rank Title BY Band - My current rank
1 Darkness On The Edge Of Town By Bruce Springsteen - 19
2 This Year's Model By Elvis Costello - 10
3 Van Halen By Van Halen - 11
4 Parallel Lines By Blondie - 2
5 The Cars By The Cars - to listen
6 Some Girls By The Rolling Stones - 14
7 The Man-Machine By Kraftwerk - to listen
8 3rd By Big Star - to listen
9 More Songs About Buildings And Food By Talking Heads - 5
10 All Mod Cons By The Jam - to listen
11 Dire Straits By Dire Straits - 8
12 The Modern Dance By Pere Ubu - to listen
13 Hemispheres By Rush - to listen
14 The Kick Inside By Kate Bush - 4
15 Outlandos D'Amour By The Police - 3
16 Chairs Missing By Wire - 16
17 Ambient 1: Music For Airports By Brian Eno - to listen
18 Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! By Devo - to listen
19 Excitable Boy By Warren Zevon - to listen
20 Music For 18 Musicians By Steve Reich - to listen
21 Give 'Em Enough Rope By The Clash - to listen
22 Powerage By AC/DC - 18
23 Jazz By Queen - to listen
24 The Last Waltz By The Band - to listen
25 Not Available By The Residents - to listen
26 One Nation Under A Groove By Funkadelic - to listen
27 The Scream By Siouxsie & The Banshees - 6
28 Live And Dangerous By Thin Lizzy - to listen
29 Real Life By Magazine - to listen
30 Kaya By Bob Marley And The Wailers - to listen
31 Waiting For Columbus By Little Feat - to listen
32 Stained Class By Judas Priest - to listen
33 Germ Free Adolescents By X-Ray Spex - to listen
34 Another Music In A Different Kitchen By Buzzcocks - to listen partly
35 At Budokan By Cheap Trick - 13
36 Easter By Patti Smith Group - 22
37 Blue Valentine By Tom Waits - to listen
38 52nd Street By Billy Joel - to listen
39 Road To Ruin By Ramones - to listen
40 Comes A Time By Neil Young - to listen
41 Street Legal By Bob Dylan - to listen
42 Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds By Jeff Wayne - to listen
43 Jesus Of Cool By Nick Lowe - to listen
44 Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) By Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - to listen
45 Dub Housing By Pere Ubu - to listen
46 City To City By Gerry Rafferty - 7
47 Long Live Rock 'n' Roll By Rainbow - to listen
48 Who Are You By The Who - to listen
49 Duck Stab / Buster & Glen By The Residents - to listen
50 40 Greatest Hits By Hank Williams - to listen
65 Public Image By Public Image Ltd. - 23
72 Adventure By Television - 21
81 Plastic Letters By Blondie - 12
96 Eternally Yours By The Saints - 1
216 Photo Finish By Rory Gallagher - 9
243 Adolescent Sex By Japan - 24
257 The Kids By The Kids - 20
538 Naughty Kids By The Kids - 15
577 The Godz By The Godz - 17
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/29/2016 15:06
  • Post subject: 1978 (2)
Like I already said: 1978 was a year in which as a 14/15 year old boy I discovered a lot of new music so it's an important musical year for me but most of the albums that I find important I already own.

After listening to the album The Cars by The Cars (the number 5 in the BEA chart of 1978) I can only confirm: I really like My Best Friend's Girl but the other tracks are just too bland and MOR for me so unlike the rest of the 1978 lovers I'm not a fan of this album.

The second album is The Man Machine of Kraftwerk (number 7 on BEA-1978) of which I already know 4 of the 6 tracks from mix albums and after listening to Spacelab and Metropolis, my general view of Kraftwerk remains: I absolutely adore Autobahn (the full 22 minutes and 43 seconds of it and to be clear: not on this album), but I'm not a big fan of Kraftwerk otherwise although I do respect their legacy.
  • Visit poster's website
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 05/02/2016 09:53
  • Post subject: Re: 1978 (2)
dihansse wrote:
Like I already said: 1978 was a year in which as a 14/15 year old boy I discovered a lot of new music so it's an important musical year for me but most of the albums that I find important I already own.

After listening to the album The Cars by The Cars (the number 5 in the BEA chart of 1978) I can only confirm: I really like My Best Friend's Girl but the other tracks are just too bland

Just What I Needed ?
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/02/2016 16:27
  • Post subject: Re: 1978 (2)
Grzywa wrote:
dihansse wrote:

After listening to the album The Cars by The Cars (the number 5 in the BEA chart of 1978) I can only confirm: I really like My Best Friend's Girl but the other tracks are just too bland

Just What I Needed ?

It's certainly the second best song on the album ( I also like Drive not on this album) but while Best Friend's girl is a really good song, this one is just good. I know The Cars are considered to be alternative college rock but to me they are fairly average American fm rock but of course that's a personal opinion. It's a bit like Kansas: Dust in the Wind is a superb piece of music while the rest of their music is just boring.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/03/2016 19:55
  • Post subject: 1978 (3)
And here is another batch of albums I listened to:
- 3rd (or Third) by Big Star (BEA 1978 rank: Cool: I own the first two albums of Big Stars and like them very much (and deserve to be called classics) and this album at least matches those two. I already knew Holocaust and still think it's a fantastic piece of music but also Nightime is a highlight. So definitely part of my future personal 1978 chart.
Btw: there are many version of this album and the Apple Music version also contains a wonderful version of the Kinks cover Till the End of The Day. This is also really an album on which I think my scoring system is failing a bit: I only gave 4 stars to two songs but also the other ones are more than good so maybe I should make more distinction between just good and good good Wink
- All the Mod Cons by The Jam (BEA 1978 rank: 10): I am a fan of the Jam especially of their earlier records so I couldn't go wrong with this one. I already knew (and very much liked Down in the Tubestation at midnight from a Greatest Hits album and really appreciated the longer version on this album and also the majority of the other songs so no doubt about it: I'll include it in my personal top chart of 1978.
- The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu (BEA 1978 rank: 12): I bought Worlds in Collision in the beginning of the nineties based on a good review but I didn't (and don't) particularly like it partly because I'm not really a fan of the voice of David Thomas. But this earlier album is something different: the last few tracks are maybe a bit too experimental to be actually fun to listen to but the first ones are very much in your face while still being experimental and I really liked listening to it. So in general it is a welcome addition to my 1978 chart.
- Hemispheres by Rush (BEA 1978 rank: 13): I'll start by admitting: I'm not a fan at all of Rush (with maybe Spirit of the Radio as the only exception) and it represents about everything I dislike in most progrock which wants to include hardrock elements: long and tedious tracks with overtheatrical song composition and annoying singing. And will it surprise you that this album is a good example: only 4 tracks and songs which are just meandering, especially the 18 minutes long title track which is many songs in one but all no good. So this a no no.

Next one is Music For Airports by Brian Eno (17). While I like part of the music of Eno (and of course especially his contribution to Roxy Music) I fear that the title is a prophecy of the contents.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/04/2016 20:00
  • Post subject: 1978 (4)
The next album I listened to is indeed:
Ambient 1: Music for Airports by Brian Eno (nr 17 in the BEA 1978 top chart): I lstened to this album together with the new King Gizzard & The King Lizard album and I can really recommend that: there isn't a bigger contrast possible between this nerve wrecking rollercaster called Nonagon Infinity and the Brian Eno Album. But this album is just too light and even bordering muzak so this is a no.

Next album is Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo by Devo which I look forward to because I only know their fun version of Satisfaction.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/05/2016 18:48
  • Post subject: 1978 (5)
Here are the next three albums I listened to of 1978:
- Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo by Devo (nr 18 in the 1978 BEA chart): I liked Satisfaction and Gut Feeling but the overall album sounds a bit dated.
- Excitable Boy by Warren Zevon (nr 19): I don't own this album but I do have all but three tracks because the others appear on his Best Of. Werewolves of London is my personal favorite but the rest is also very good. Of the three songs I didn't already know especially Veracruz stands out. So this album is certainly good enough for my personal top chart of '78.
- Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich (nr 20): I have a bit a weak spot for minimal music made by the likes of Philip Glass, Gavin Bryars, Wim Mertens and of course Steve Reich. I have always thought Reich to be a bit more cerebral than Glass but this long piece of music has definitely a kind of warmth which is interesting. Although this is not the kind of music I would put on my Apple Music playlist (also because it shouldn't be listened to in pieces), I will put this in my personal top 1978 chart just because it's good.

Next album to listen to will be Give' Em Enough Rope by The Clash.
  • Visit poster's website