Best Ever Directors [Poll][Deadline July 23rd]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
nutso42

• Posted: 05/17/2016 18:49
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Hahaha wow, so is Plan 9 better than King of Comedy, or are you just overall more impressed with Wood's filmography.

King of Comedy is much better than Plan 9 (#82 vs #250 on my favorite movie list), but my dislike for most of Scorsese's filmography prevents him from making the list.

Meanwhile, despite Ed Wood being one of the only directors I think we can objectively call bad, he has an undeniable passion for filmmaking that make even his worst movies joyful in their own strange way. It's impossible for me to watch one of his films and not see how much he loved doing what he did.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2016 19:12
  • Post subject:
I try really hard not to let how much a dislike someone's films have an effect on how I rate them as a director but unfortunately it's hard. Like, if Francis Coppola had died in 1980 I'd certainly rank him in my top 50, maybe top 10, but everything after Apocalypse Now just keeps bringing that score down. It's not really fair when I'll rank Jean Vigo higher despite having less movies and less time alive to make a bad movie and I don't particularly value L'Atalante over Coppola's best works. And then what about say Fellini or Renoir, from whom I've seen the 8 or 10 most popular movies but really have no clue how much I'd dislike their lesser quality works. So yeah, seeing inferior movies from good directors does put a bad taste in one's mouth and while I wouldn't call many Scorsese movies bad, to each his own.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2016 23:08
  • Post subject: Re: Best Ever Directors [Poll]
Hayden wrote:

Some small notes:
Directors who only made shorts are eligible.
The new Radiohead album is not eligible.

OK weird question on this, but can music videos be taken into account? For example, Garth Jennings would be on my list regardless for Hitchhiker's Guide, but the "Coffee and TV" video he directed and a couple of his other music videos would put him a lot higher on my list if I'm allowed to factor those in.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 05/17/2016 23:14
  • Post subject: Re: Best Ever Directors [Poll]
benpaco wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Some small notes:
Directors who only made shorts are eligible.
The new Radiohead album is not eligible.

OK weird question on this, but can music videos be taken into account? For example, Garth Jennings would be on my list regardless for Hitchhiker's Guide, but the "Coffee and TV" video he directed and a couple of his other music videos would put him a lot higher on my list if I'm allowed to factor those in.

ooo yeah good question. If music vids are being brought into consideration then suddenly Chris Cunningham becomes relevant and Michel Gondry and Spike Jonze become all the more enticing...
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2016 23:24
  • Post subject:
Sure Smile I don't see why not. We are a music forum after all. Plus, they're part of a director's overall body of work anyway. It definitely gives Spike Jonze a little boost. Razz

Thanks for bringing that up Ben.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2016 00:04
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Sure Smile I don't see why not. We are a music forum after all. Plus, they're part of a director's overall body of work anyway. It definitely gives Spike Jonze a little boost. Razz

Thanks for bringing that up Ben.

Hey awesome! Also means I can put Byrne on my list for more than just True Stories (guy really should direct more - I'd watch it). Will help Van Sant and some others on my list as well. Oh also

Hayden wrote:
4. Hayao Miyazak

This means animated directors are good on here right? So why the hell has no one voted for Chuck Jones? Arguably the greatest animated director ever, responsible for 4 to 5 decades of impressive comedy. And not just Looney Tunes, he did the Dr Seuss animations and Phantom Tollbooth, among other things.

I'll probably have my list up by tonight but seriously big plug here:

Link

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/18/2016 01:49
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:

This means animated directors are good on here right?

Of course. Docter, Stanton and Brad Bird are all on my list as well. Bird primarily for his Pixar work.

The more inclusive and diverse, the better Smile
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2016 04:20
  • Post subject:
Just out of curiosity, anyone care to name a few noteworthy music videos by Gondry, Jonze and the like?

[Edit] Holy google. Scorsese directed MJ's "Bad". How did I not know that? Also Fincher, De Palma and a handful of other shockers have done music videos. Not too surprised Spike Lee did "Fight the Power" but it's news nonetheless.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 05/18/2016 14:59
  • Post subject:
Looking through these lists, there's a small handful of directors of whom I've never seen their work.

Max Ophüls, Naomi Kawase, Pasolini, Fassbinder, Masahira Shinoda, Hellman.

Could you kindly recommend one film each for each director so I have time to at least get an introduction to each director before deadline?

Edit: something besides Salo for Pasolini. Not sure my soul could handle that one.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/18/2016 15:33
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
Looking through these lists, there's a small handful of directors of whom I've never seen their work.

Max Ophüls, Naomi Kawase, Pasolini, Fassbinder, Masahira Shinoda, Hellman.

Could you kindly recommend one film each for each director so I have time to at least get an introduction to each director before deadline?

Edit: something besides Salo for Pasolini. Not sure my soul could handle that one.

Ophuls: Earrings of Madame De... Or La Ronde.
Kawase: Still The Water
Pasolini: Mamma Roma (def check out Salo though)
Fassbinder: Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant