Mafia [Three More Players Needed]

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
nutso42

• Posted: 05/27/2016 18:21
  • Post subject: Mafia [Three More Players Needed]
I used to frequently play the party game "Mafia", and was suddenly realizing it'd be super easy to play on a forum. On the off chance there's actually a human being who doesn't know the game, here's a brief rundown.

Minimum of eight players, each one assigned an identity. At least one is Mafia, at least one is an undercover policeman, and whoever left is a villageperson. No player knows the other's identities.

Through a series of rounds, the mafia attempt to kill the other players in an effort to rid themselves of the undercover cops. The cops pn the other hand, are trying to determine who the mafia are. And on occasion the villagers get in on the action through lynching.

Roles would be assigned via PM, and each round (probably one a week to allow time for all participants) would have a thread for open discussion as you all work out the identities of other players.

Again, we'd need a minimum of eight players, preferably more. Anybody want to give this a shot?

Last edited by nutso42 on 07/10/2016 17:04; edited 1 time in total
undefined

• Posted: 05/27/2016 18:47
  • Post subject:
Absolutely. Also if anyone's interested (Luke and Tom found it boring but that's because they're lame) I've been playing this game recently Town of Salem which is basically this except infinitely more complicated. It's free and browser based and might be fun. But yeah I'm down for a forum equivalent
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/28/2016 05:18
  • Post subject:
Absolutely, used to play versions of this all the time back in the day.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/28/2016 06:52
  • Post subject:
What's next? Werewolf?
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2016 15:18
  • Post subject:
if luke is down, count me in
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/28/2016 15:48
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
What's next? Werewolf?

Laughing

either way i'd be down for this
nutso42

• Posted: 05/30/2016 20:29
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
What's next? Werewolf?

Well, if BEA's history is any sort of predictor, next we'll play the game and it'll be fairly successful, then I'll wait for more than a year before choosing to host it again. Then that one will go so well that Hayden will begin hosting a series of Mafia games, each one set in a successive decade.

Or, you know, we just won't get enough players and it'll fizzle out.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/30/2016 22:57
  • Post subject:
I'm wondering how the actual gameplay of this would function
nutso42

• Posted: 05/30/2016 23:38
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
I'm wondering how the actual gameplay of this would function

(in this explanation I'm assuming you're familiar with the usual gameplay, and therefore am just explaining how it would be adapted to the forum)

After getting the requisite number of players, I'd randomly assign roles to each of them (my preferred options being Mafia and Policemen, though with enough players we may also include Doctor and Village Idiot) and inform each person of their role via PM.

A new thread would be started outlining the story being played. As for the rules, since there's several thousand optional ways of playing this game, we'd just use the version I've most commonly played.

In this scenario, to begin everyone introduces themselves. Anyone can lie except the police, who MUST identify themselves as police. Therefore, many of the neutral characters (and possibly even the Mafia) would want to introduce themselves as police as well to protect the identities of the real police. After each round (probably new thread for each round) each person who identified themself as a policeman would have to announce who they'd "investigated" over the night, and whether they discovered that person to be guilty or not. I like this version as it makes it more important to be careful what you say during conversations, and makes everyone else play closer attention to catch you at lying.

As for the rounds. Each round would have it's own thread. In between the beginning of a new round the Mafia would PM me to tell me their decision of who they're going to eliminate. Likewise the police would PM me the name of the player they wish to investigate. If we have multiple Mafia and multiple police, they could PM one another to make decisions, but I'd otherwise recommend conversations to be carried out in the thread and keep PMing to a minimum.

Game would conclude when one of two things has happened: the Mafia have all been lynched by the villagers, or there are more Mafia than neutral players.
Temporary33

• Posted: 05/30/2016 23:57
  • Post subject:
Guys, the diplomacy forums does this a lot. If you want ideas for rules and etc., then you can check out past games on there. I used to play there like 2 - 3 years ago, but some of the personalities there were a little extreme so I ceased, but the games were always creative.
  • Visit poster's website