Misnamed website?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rdadmanesh

• Posted: 07/10/2016 15:35
  • Post subject: Misnamed website?
Based on this website's own explanation (under the "Help" tab), the rankings of a particular artist's albums are admittedly determined by aggregating results of thousands of charts. I'd love to know what types of charts we're talking about, because it sounds to me that this website's rankings should more accurately be titled "Most Popular Ever Albums" rather than "Best Ever Albums."
Case in point: When I looked at the rankings for the artist Nada Surf, their debut album "Hi/Low" was ranked their 3rd best record and its featured single "Popular" was ranked their best song ever. Ask any true Nada Surf fan who didn't just hop on board for that one fluke of a hit single or any reputable critic and you'd quickly learn that both of those rankings are totally ridiculous IF WE'RE TRULY TALKING ABOUT THEIR "BEST" RELEASES!
Many other websites (e.g., Stereogum and the band's own ranking of their releases), which tend to be much more aligned with one another than this site, clearly place "Hi/Low" at or near the very bottom of their lists and albums like "The Weight is a Gift" and "Lucky" much higher. All I can say is thank goodness that at least "Let Go" was at the top of your list like every other list, otherwise I'd be making a much bigger stink out of this.
Respectfully, while you have every right in the world to post lists as you see fit, at least don't be deceptive with the name you gave yourselves. Yours is a popularity list and most definitely NOT an indication of the "best ever albums" by any means. Your accompanying statement in your explanation that "in theory, the higher the chart positions of an album, the better an album is" truly astounds me as THAT IS TOTAL NONSENSE, and you know it.
Yes, I realize you might very well read this comment and laugh at me or ignore me completely, but C'MON already, you know I am right in raising this point.
Thank you.[/u][/b]
  • Visit poster's website
Moved: 07/10/2016 16:30 by Romanelli
From Suggestions to Music
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 07/10/2016 16:48
  • Post subject:
You're right, I have no idea why Nada Surf would ever be considered by anything purporting to account for what is "best" or even "good." This website must be about popularity if they're on here.
Allabaster

• Posted: 07/10/2016 18:03
  • Post subject:
The proper title is, "Aggregate Lists of Canonical Albums Appreciated by a Subset of Mostly-White-and-Male, Internet-Using Popular Music Afficianados." The proper font is Angel Tears.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/10/2016 18:54
  • Post subject:
Nada surf is ranked the 1609th artist on this site and I think you'll agree the lower a band is ranked the less accurate the rankings of the albums become just because less people rate them.
Personally I think that See These Bones from Lucky is their best but that's just a personal opinion and luckily the sum of all opinions makes up this site. Unfortunately I don't agree with all opinions on this website ( I don't like rap, hair metal, nu metal an d progrock) but I'll have to live with that and I do respect all opinions on this site: that's why I like it so much!
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/10/2016 18:56
  • Post subject:
Allabaster wrote:
The proper title is, "Aggregate Lists of Canonical Albums Appreciated by a Subset of Mostly-White-and-Male, Internet-Using Popular Music Afficianados." The proper font is Angel Tears.

Sorry Alabaster is correct too Wink
  • Visit poster's website
Rhett

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2016 19:45
  • Post subject:
The correct name for the website should be "great place to find music you don't know about".
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/10/2016 19:51
  • Post subject:
Nada who
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/10/2016 20:41
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
Nada who

nada clue!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2016 21:03
  • Post subject:
Allabaster wrote:
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 07/10/2016 21:09
  • Post subject:
The rankings are based both on the number of ratings, the composition of all the ratings and how many charts it appears on. A ranking, afterall, is just a ranking, like any site it's just a composite of a series of votes rather than ironclad proof on a particular work's quality. Yes, "Hi-Low" is probably among the most well-known Nada Surf works as is their lone massively... POP-YOOUUUU-LEERRRRRRR... popular song, so both likely appearing on a lot of charts and more people rating the song, that's just how it ends up being ranked higher. Ratings are fine and expected but not the be-all, end-all of BEA. Talk to the people.

ANyways I do have to admit I never thought Nada Surf would ever be the source of forum... "controversey"?
  • Visit poster's website