What to do for teargarden by kaleidyscope

View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2016 03:23
  • Post subject: What to do for teargarden by kaleidyscope
First is there a better place to discuss this? I've done it in musical random chat as well as here and got answers... but yeah not sure if there is a moderator discussion area?

So... a long time ago I added the teargarden by kaleidyscope by Smashing Pumpkins. I didn't know there was a 20 minute limit. Nobody has since deleted it.

But I'm wondering if I should group them into one "big" one that never got an official release (these were 3 releases)... or do they just get deleted from the site?

1. "A Song for a Son" December 8, 2009[54] 6:03 6:03
2. "Astral Planes" April 16, 2010[23] 4:06 4:06
3. "Widow Wake My Mind" January 18, 2010[55] 4:27 4:59
4. "A Stitch in Time" March 2, 2010[56] 3:33 3:28
— "Teargarden Theme"† — — 2:55

Vol. 2: The Solstice Bare
November 23, 2010[57][58]
1. "The Fellowship" January 12, 2011[59] 3:51 3:53
2. "Freak" (also known as "Freak U.S.A."[60]) July 6, 2010[58] 3:52 3:54
3. "Tom Tom" November 24, 2010[61] 4:04 4:04
4. "Spangled" September 14, 2010[62] 2:30 2:32
— "Cottonwood Symphony"† — — 3:05

Vol. 3 (Stand-alone songs)
— "Lightning Strikes" March 18, 2011[63] 3:56 —
— "Owata" May 4, 2011[citation needed] 3:39 —
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/07/2016 07:44
  • Post subject: Re: What to do for teargarden by kaleidyscope
As this is an album site, releases on BEA need to be albums i.e. at least 20 minutes long, or contain at least 5 tracks (slightly more lenient than the 'official' definition of an album). Any release on BEA that does not conform to this limit doesn't qualify as an album and really shouldn't be listed here. Occasionally, some releases slip through the net, but eventually somebody will either report it, or it will get spotted/flagged up by a moderator which then begins a 28 day period for them to be contested before the item is deleted.

Only official releases are allowed on BEA, and only the original version of the album should be listed (e.g. if there are subsequent re-releases of the same album, the original release is the only version that should be listed & this is the one that counts in terms of BEA.)

In terms of this release, it looks like this is one of those that has slipped through the net as individually each release is clearly too short to be an album, and to be fair & consistent, I think they should be flagged.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2016 01:52
albummaster wrote:
As this is an album site, releases on BEA need to be albums i.e. at least 20 minutes long, or contain at least 5 tracks (slightly more lenient than the 'official' definition of an album). Any release on BEA that does not conform to this limit doesn't qualify as an album and really shouldn't be listed here. Occasionally, some releases slip through the net, but eventually somebody will either report it, or it will get spotted/flagged up by a moderator which then begins a 28 day period for them to be contested before the item is deleted.

Only official releases are allowed on BEA, and only the original version of the album should be listed (e.g. if there are subsequent re-releases of the same album, the original release is the only version that should be listed & this is the one that counts in terms of BEA.)

In terms of this release, it looks like this is one of those that has slipped through the net as individually each release is clearly too short to be an album, and to be fair & consistent, I think they should be flagged.

Totally agree and is why I brought it up.

I am curious though if I did a Teargarden by Kaleidyscope compilation album that reflects these releases very similar to this collection of EP's (The Alchemy Index by Thrice as the whole project is actually supposed to be a 44 song project, but then they changed their mind, did an album's worth under the name Teargarden by Kaleidyscope and then 2 more albums under the name kind of... but were actual releases.

Would such a compilation album be acceptable?

More about the concept:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teargarde...leidyscope
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2016 01:53
  • Post subject:
Also where should I direct these questions in the future?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2016 01:55
  • Post subject:
It is kind of a difficult thing being that it's "albums within albums"... which albeit is kind of a dumb idea.

I kinda feel like the first 3 releases (as listed in original OP) should be one compilation album, and then the rest get their own releases as they already have:

Oceania by The Smashing Pumpkins

Monuments To An Elegy by The Smashing Pumpkins

Is it ok that I create that?

And they were official releases pressed in vinyl, but you do have a good point that maybe they aren't really albums... it's an album within an album or maybe a compilation? I'd think it's ok when an artist is releasing an album but in an unconventional way to allow it? The flip side of this would be to do all 44 songs on one release, but seeing that they don't think they will be doing that either, and the two and possibly three albums will get their own seperate release, I imagine that doesn't make sense.

I suppose the 3rd option (1. do compilation, 2. 44 song release) is to just totally ignore these 12 songs, and that would possibly only make me sad and maybe like 6 other users... ahaha.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2016 05:45
  • Post subject:
it appears as tho these releases were issued in multi-format boxes that satisfy the 20+ minute critera with the first kne and the 5 or more tracks criteria for both

https://www.discogs.com/Smashing-Pumpki...se/2289875
https://www.discogs.com/The-Smashing-Pu...se/2586713

could be bunk info on discogs, but it seems like these would qualify right?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/08/2016 08:13
This forum is the best place to discuss general types of issues such as this, however specific corrections on a particular release should be reported via the admin page for that release.

Quote:
I am curious though if I did a Teargarden by Kaleidyscope compilation album that reflects these releases very similar to this collection of EP's (The Alchemy Index by Thrice as the whole project is actually supposed to be a 44 song project, but then they changed their mind, did an album's worth under the name Teargarden by Kaleidyscope and then 2 more albums under the name kind of... but were actual releases.

Would such a compilation album be acceptable?

Yes, a compilation album would be fine (so long as it's not a bootleg and is endorsed by the artist) as it would be a separate release in its own right, similar to the twofer albums that are also listed here. You are right that that if there exists an official compilation of all these albums then that would be the only way of including these on the site without changing the rules for one release. (Not meaning to spoil any fun but need to be consistent).
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/08/2016 08:20
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
it appears as tho these releases were issued in multi-format boxes that satisfy the 20+ minute critera with the first kne and the 5 or more tracks criteria for both

https://www.discogs.com/Smashing-Pumpki...se/2289875
https://www.discogs.com/The-Smashing-Pu...se/2586713

could be bunk info on discogs, but it seems like these would qualify right?

If those were the original releases they would be fine...
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2016 01:33
  • Post subject:
Much appreciated!

And yes, I totally get the need to be consistent, especially with all the statistics.

Thank you both!
  • Visit poster's website