Building My Greatest Album Chart

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
32mos42

• Posted: 07/15/2016 02:13
  • Post subject: Building My Greatest Album Chart
So I'm starting my chart over and I'm doing this right. I'll post short track-by-tracks here as well as some overall thoughts about each record. Feel free to join in as I make progress and give recommendations! Each album will get enough listens (minimum of 3) and a lot of research both about the album and the artist before receiving a rating out of 10.

Rating System:
0 - Nothing positive
1 - Couple pros in a sea of cons
2 - Terrible
3 - Bad
4 - Poor
5 - Indifferent
6 - Decent
7 - Good
8 - Exceptional
9 - Almost perfect
10 - Perfect

The same rating system goes for songs, but any tracks that are more like interludes, skits or addornments will be given a +, / or - depending on how the track contributes to the album as a whole, rather than enjoyment on its own.

I'd love to take any suggestions and tips, just PM me

Last edited by 32mos42 on 07/18/2016 19:39; edited 3 times in total
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2016 03:32
  • Post subject:
Good luck and have fun!

I also just recently reworked my charts and it was quite fun. I also applaud you on really studying an album before putting it on your chart instead of a random gut check or because "it's expected" or it is something that is only novel (a fad), yet not terribly great. Research with wikipedia (HUGE resource), this site, other music sites, etc. was also super helpful to understand a new artist better, etc. I also learned that sometimes the most liked songs/albums of an artist aren't always the one you'd like... branch out before making a decision I suppose is what I'm saying.

Sorry, I was just thinking, huh, what would I have wishes someone told me 7 months ago when I started my project. Good luck and great 2 album start!
  • Visit poster's website
32mos42

• Posted: 07/15/2016 04:23
  • Post subject: Radiohead - In Rainbows
Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007)

Tracklist:
1. 15 Step - 8
Bodysnatchers - 9
Nude - 10
Weird Fishes / Arpeggi - 9
All I Need - 10
Faust Arp - 9
Reckoner - 10
House of Cards - 9
Jigsaw Falling Into Place - 9
Videotape - 9

Average Track Rating: 9.2
Album Rating: 10

I first heard this album when I was 15 or something like that. I was just starting my exploration of music so I was going through Radiohead's discography at the time but I didn't think much of this record. Then one time, around my 10th listen, I was waiting for the bus to school at around 6am. It was dark outside, and the orange glow of the lamp posts that surrounded me complimented the album artwork very well. It was then that Nude came on, and I became completely paralized. I don't know what came over me but I began to cry. The song, and the rest of the album just connected with me and I fell in love with it ever since. As for my thoughts on the album, I believe I say most of it on my chart so you can just go ahead and check that out. But if you want some more detail, here are some one-sentence thoughts on each track.

Track-by-Track

15 Step: Not the greatest Radiohead opener, but it sets the theme well. Like the beat on the drums and 5/4 is always nice to hear.

Bodysnatchers: Fiery, abrasive, claustrophobic. Different from the rest of the album but important to the theme development.

Nude: Soothing in its music but terrifying in its words.

Weird Fishes / Arpeggi: That cymbal that starts the last bit catches me off-guard even after all the listens I've got on this thing.

All I Need: Absolutely love that ending.

Faust Arp: Used to be on the fence about it, but it totally clicked a few listens ago.

Reckoner: Indescribable, timeless, monumental. A masterpice.

House of Cards: Lovely. If it weren't for the lyrics it would have been dull.

Jigsaw Falling Into Place: The instruments sound REALLY good here. Like, how did they manage to do this?

Videotape: Couldn't be a better closer to this one.

Next album:
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

Last edited by 32mos42 on 07/15/2016 17:47; edited 1 time in total
32mos42

• Posted: 07/15/2016 17:30
  • Post subject: Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly (2015)

Tracklist:
1. Wesley's Theory - 10
For Free? - +
King Kunta - 9
Institutionalized - 9
These Walls - 10
u - 9
Alright - 9
For Sale? - +
Momma - 8
Hood Politics - 9
How Much a Dollar Cost - 10
Complexion - 9
The Blacker the Berry - 10
You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said) - 8
i - +
Mortal Man - 9

Average Track Rating: 9.1

I first heard this a week after its release. I had never heard a rap album before as I prefer to stay away from excessive swearing in my music, but since my first listen of this album I can't help but come back to this and a few other hip-hop albums. I'm a sucker for concept albums and interconnectivity between songs in albums and this completely won me over. You can read some of my thoughts on it in my chart but there's just too much to say about this. I'll try to go over some details in the track-by-track.

Track-by-Track

Wesley's Theory: From the first moment the theme of empowerment towards black people is introduced with the sample that is used. The song itself is irresistible, introducing Kendrick at the top of the game, having gone from feelings of love to lust towards the rap industry and the riches it has brought him.

For Free: Love the nod towards jazz. This track adds a lot of flavor to the album.

King Kunta: Like the way the title is used. It's empowering as it puts the word King and Kunta together (Kunta is a fictional slave whose foot is cut off). This also refers to Kendrick sitting at his throne on top of the hip-hop world.

Institutionalized: Love the Snoop Dogg feature here.

These Walls: Very clever song. Probably the strongest song on the album lyrically. Love his use of the walls as a way to connect his verses together.

u: Really harrowing track. Kendrick's self-loathing is really well communicated making for a powerful track. It's so personal that you sort of feel like you're intruding as you listen to it. Like the broken audio during the skit that represents his emotional state.

Alright: A huge contrast to the previous track. Picks up the energy and provides relief from the intense experience in the last song.

For Sale?: In case you haven't figured it out, Lucy=Lucifer. This track, though it's not a highlight, adds a whole other level of depth to the album and Kendrick's story.

Momma: Probably my least favorite track on the album. Still a good song, love Kendrick's style on his first verse. Also carries the story forward as it's the point where Kendrick is humbled. Last bit seems off to me though.

Hood Politics: Fire

How Much a Dollar Cost: Very deep song. Huge message, lots of meaning. Just like the hook states, it's more to feed your mind. Hard to believe it's all from experience too.

Complexion: Good message, very catchy too. Good verses as well, Rhapsody's part is also very strong.

The Blacker the Berry: Some of my favorite songs feel like love translated perfectly into a musical form. This is probably the opposite. Kendrick's wrath is simply overpowering in this song.

You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said): Cools down the flames from the previous track but it's among the weaker tracks on the album.

i: I really love the way this song is included on the album as a live performance. Kendrick comes back to his home and finally claims his spot as a leader when the crowd falls silent to his preaching.

Mortal Man: Very hard-hitting song. Now that he's at the top and is a potential symbol for revolution, Kendrick knows that someone may want his head on a plate, and he's trying to do something about it here. That last conversation with Tupac where the poem is finally unraveled in its fullest brings the whole album together.

Next Album:
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
32mos42

• Posted: 07/15/2016 18:30
  • Post subject: Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (1963)

Tracklist:
1. Solo Dancer - 10
Duet Solo Dancers - 9
Group Dancers - 9
Trio and Group Dancers / Single Solos and Group Dance / Group and Solo Dance - 10

Average Track Rating: 9.5

I was always hesitant to get into jazz as I had heard a lot about it being boring background music. Now I realize that I was being ignorant; this is as far from 'elevator music' as it gets. It's total chaos that Mingus somehow manages to control and even organize into a self-analytical piece. Knowing the meaning of these pieces is important to enjoying the album and adds a lot of depth to it so I'm gonna quickly write about it in the track-by-track.

Track-by-Track

Solo Dancer: The solitary alto saxophone playing in a different way to the rest of the ensemble is representative of Mingus' isolation. The wailing and lonely solos of the sax create pathos towards Mingus, perhaps more than the other tracks making it my favorite on the album.

Duet Solo Dancers: This one starts out passionately and emotionally. It's very representative of love between two 'solo dancers', however the piece begins to escalate and accelerate until frustration takes over. Horns begin to howl and start resembling human grunts and angry yells, referencing relationships and how they can often end up going wrong.

Group Dancers: This is Mingus' commentary on racism and compares the joy of a free man to his frustrated and oppressed existence as a black man. The flamenco solo here totally caught me off-guard at first.

Trio and Group Dancers / Single Solos and Group Dance / Group and Solo Dance: This is where everything goes nuts as ideas that were previously used in the other pieces come back and are mashed up into different pieces. By the end of this one I'm usually left wondering what just happened in the last 20 minutes.

Last edited by 32mos42 on 07/18/2016 18:03; edited 1 time in total
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2016 19:27
  • Post subject:
Love the structure to this diary, definitely gonna follow this one. Really excited to see this build-up!
32mos42

• Posted: 07/16/2016 18:30
  • Post subject: Grupo Niche - Cielo de Tambores
Grupo Niche - Cielo de Tambores (Sky of Drums) (1990)

Tracklist:
1. Cielo de Tambores - 10
Una Aventura - 9
Se Pareció Tanto a Ti - 10
Doña Pastora - 8
Busca por Dentro - 9
Debiera Olvidarla - 10
Sin Sentimientos - 9
Cali Ají - 9

Average Track Rating:

I grew up in Cali, Colombia, which many consider to be one of the salsa capitals of the world, so I grew up with salsa and dancing all around me (but somehow I'm not much of a dancer). However, it wasn't until I came to Canada that I began falling in love with the genre. It was here that I realized that there was more to salsa than simply dancing, the music was art as well. A typical salsa has multiple melodies and sections competing with each other to see which can stay in your head the longest, all accompanied by an undying energy emanating off the rhythm section. Despite the musicality of this album, I also enjoy it on a much more personal level, as the life, passion, color, smell, and beauty of the vibrant Cali streets return to me on every listen. Most of the lyrics here are romantic, well-written and very poetic while some of the songs deal with the culture's african roots as well as a great celebration and an ode to Cali with the closing track. Grupo Niche is one of the most successful salsa groups out there, and something that they do really well are romantic tracks, which are often my favorite, as they have this unparalleled ability to draw emotion out of me. If I was stuck on a deserted island and I could take a couple albums with me this would be one of them. It's so packed full of melodies and hooks and refrains that it could last years before becoming boring. This album never fails to put a smile on my face.

Track-by-Track

Cielo de Tambores (Sky of Drums): One of the darker-sounding songs on the album, this one tells the story of the african inhibitors of Colombia that give root to much of the culture, and most significantly much of the music, including salsa. This track feels sort of epic, and it does very well to convey the struggle of the people and the joy that comes in the end through the culture that was left behind.

Una Aventura (An Adventure): The first romantic salsa of many in the album, this tender song is considered a classic and is among the more popular salsa pieces out there. This one tells of the excitement of being with someone for just one night (perhaps an affair too) without knowing what the future will bring. I really love the melodies in this one, every section just shines on its own.

Se Pareció Tanto a Ti (She Seemed So Much Like You): This song has some sort of sadness in it as the narrator is still in love with the woman who left him as he enters courtship with another woman only because she reminds him of his life with the one who left him. His description of his life with his lover is almost tearjerking, and along with the music there's nothing I can do but hold back the tears (Yes I sound emotional, music and movies tend to bring it out of me). I don't know whether to feel bad for the man or for the girl he's with.

Doña Pastora (Ms. Shepherd): My least favorite track. It's another well-told story about the roots of the culture in Cali, much like the opening track, though more upbeat.

Busca por Dentro (Search Inside): A very tender song with some great melodies that would have been a 10 if it weren't for that refrain at the end.

Debiera Olvidarla (I Should Forget Her): This song is just stuffed with amazing melodies, and they're all so good that I can't decide which I like best. I can't point out a single flaw in this song, it's among my favorites.

Sin Sentimientos (Without Feelings): A song filled with anger towards a lover. Lots of resentment and heartbreak. Musically a strong piece and another that could be considered a classic.

Cali Ají: An ode to the group's (and my own) hometown of Cali. It perfectly captures the spirit of celebration and joy of Cali's culture. The heat, food, smell, everything comes back to me as I listen to this song. Very fun, catchy and addictive song, a good closer.

Last edited by 32mos42 on 07/18/2016 18:03; edited 1 time in total
32mos42

• Posted: 07/18/2016 12:06
  • Post subject: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - [too long to type here]
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (2000)

Tracklist:
1. Storm - 9
Static - 8
Sleep - 10
Like Antennas to Heaven... - 8

Average Track Rating: 8.8
Album Rating: 9

To really 'get' an album, you have to look for context, a common theme, or a message. Well, I spent multiple listens, and even internet searches, looking for some sort of context to this album without success. After a while, it finally hit me that the context was in the sound, not in those excerpts and spoken bits scattered throughout the album. Though I wouldn't consider this record a frequent listen, it is very rewarding when experienced in the right setting. Sadly, there are some lows, as is usually the case with any album this long. I think my biggest complain is the closing track, which on its own is not bad but I feel as though it can be a bit disconnected from the rest of the songs with its drony and electronic soundscape. Also, some transitions between song segments throughout can be slightly abrupt. However, despite the lows, the highs of the album are absolutely indescribable. For instance, the second segment of "Sleep" is one of the most emotionally charged pieces of music I have ever heard, and as soon as it is done the equally powerful third and final segment hits me out of nowhere and the occasional tear starts flowing. It's these emotional moments that keep drawing me back to this album, despite the length, and resulting boredom at times, the best parts of this record are something worth living for.

Track-by-Track

Storm: Everyone loves that first buildup and release. Very good song but the last section with the radio messages can be a nuisance when listening to the song alone on a regular playlist and not the album.

Static: This one gets really hectic but it's not my favorite on the record.

Sleep: I really love this one. Like I mentioned in my comments on the album, the third section of this song is incredibly powerful and so is that final section.

Like Antennas to Heaven: My least favorite track. On its own it's pretty good but it feels disconnected from the rest of the album as the other songs use a full band more prominently than this track which leans more heavily on electronic ambient and drone.
32mos42

• Posted: 07/18/2016 19:23
  • Post subject: Tame Impala - Lonerism
Tame Impala - Lonerism (2012)

Tracklist:
1. Be Above It - 8
Endors Toi - 9
Apocalypse Dreams - 10
Mind Mischief - 9
Music to Walk Home By - 8
Why Won't They Talk to Me? - 9
Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - 10
Keep On Lying - 8
Elephant - 9
She Just Won't Believe Me - /
Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control - 9
Sun's Coming Up - +

Average Track Rating:

This album, like the title suggests, gives us a view into the mind of an introvert (just look at the album cover if the title doesn't give it away). I admire this album in a lot of ways, but the aspect that clearly stands out the most is Kevin Parker's production. Not only is it top-notch, but there are numerous details set throughout the course of the album to signify setting and feeling. The biggest contribution that the production makes to the album is the creation of a dream-like state. In the second track, we find that Parker sees his dreams and music as an escape from everyday life ("endors toi" roughly translates into "go to sleep"), and from this point I almost go into a trance-like state until the closing track. Take note that the opening track begins with quick, short-breathed whispers and deals with facing up to problems rather than running from them, suggesting the protagonist has recently been struggling and needs to escape (through dreams and music). The album climaxes with the second-to-last track (whose title I will NOT type again for sake of time) after which the atmosphere is completely brought down by some piano in the closing track. The sobering sound, groggy vocals, the wave sounds, the "7am, midnight in Dover" line (suggesting Australia where the band is from) and that drowsy guitar lick all suggest the end of the dream, and waking up into a new day. There's also that dialogue between Parker and that Melodie girl (I'm assuming here) which I love on that second-to-last track with the annoyingly long name, as well as the crowd that gets louder and louder on Keep on Lying. This album is more than just psychedelic jamming and weird sound effects, there's a reason and method to the madness.

Note: I think I'm gonna get rid of the track-by-tracks and just write some more detailed thoughts. PM me if you have a suggestion concerning format, I'll listen.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/19/2016 16:35
  • Post subject:
I actually like your comments on the individual tracks of your favorite albums so for me you can keep on doing what you're doing
  • Visit poster's website