videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 05/11/2011 07:35
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
the Cure wouldn't exist without the guys who make up New Order

The Cure started in 1976.

Joy Division (which I think is what you are alluding to with the quote) also started in 1976.

The Cure started as the band Malice, then Easy Cure. Both incarnations were centred more in punk rock than the post-punk of Joy Division.

I agree to an extent that each were an influence on each other but the Cure would have existed in some form or another without the guys who became New Order.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 05/11/2011 09:55
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
purple wrote:
the Cure wouldn't exist without the guys who make up New Order

The Cure started in 1976.

Joy Division (which I think is what you are alluding to with the quote) also started in 1976.

The Cure started as the band Malice, then Easy Cure. Both incarnations were centred more in punk rock than the post-punk of Joy Division.

I agree to an extent that each were an influence on each other but the Cure would have existed in some form or another without the guys who became New Order.

oh snap!
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 05/11/2011 13:45
  • Post subject:
After listening to Faith again, I'v been brainwashed into voting for the cure Razz is that a bad thing?
purple

• Posted: 05/12/2011 02:03
  • Post subject:
Harkan, you would exist one way or another without Australia, but living in Australian culture has made you what you are. So the whole 'they would exist anyway' argument doesn't work, they'd probably be shittier than they are.

Also, The Cure didn't produce a decent album until 1981 (Faith), by which point Joy Division was already done, and didn't produce their masterpiece Disintegration until 1989, which is the year New Order was pretty much done being awesome, going out with a bang with Technique.

Snap that shit
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 05/12/2011 07:13
  • Post subject:
mooseboy101 wrote:
After listening to Faith again, I'v been brainwashed into voting for the cure Razz is that a bad thing?

Not at all.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 05/12/2011 07:25
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
Harkan, you would exist one way or another without Australia, but living in Australian culture has made you what you are. So the whole 'they would exist anyway' argument doesn't work, they'd probably be shittier than they are.

Also, The Cure didn't produce a decent album until 1981 (Faith), by which point Joy Division was already done, and didn't produce their masterpiece Disintegration until 1989, which is the year New Order was pretty much done being awesome, going out with a bang with Technique.

Snap that shit

Referencing first paragraph: Agree that Australia makes me who I am and in reference to the initial thought, yes, The Cure were shaped by the culture around them. My major qualm was that you said they wouldn't exist without the guys from New Order. I found that incorrect and believe that one band can be a sole influence or contributing factor to their existence. Many bands might not exist if not for the Beatles; yet some would.

Referencing second paragraph: I agree that their first great album was Faith but the foundation for successful music was there already in songs like Boys Don't Cry and A Forest. I also agree that Technique is a brilliant example of synthpop and that New Order had reached their peak. They didn't necessarily go out (Factory Records fell apart in 1992) as they continued to create music. In 1992, The Cure released Wish which included hits Friday I'm In Love and High. The album was their first number 1 in the UK and Australia and continued their popularity.

NB: The Cure's only Australian concert at the Sydney Opera House sold out in minutes today. Their concert is over two nights playing their first three albums in full. So some people must still like their earlier stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 05/12/2011 07:27
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:

NB: The Cure's only Australian concert at the Sydney Opera House sold out in minutes today. Their concert is over two nights playing their first three albums in full. So some people must still like their earlier stuff.

I'm guessing you weren't one of the lucky few? I actually considered flying over but by the time It took me to decide it had already sold out.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 05/12/2011 11:17
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
harkan wrote:

I'm guessing you weren't one of the lucky few? I actually considered flying over but by the time It took me to decide it had already sold out.

I was going to fly over but logistically it was nightmarish. Time off work, flights, waiting this morning to try and get tickets and yeah... smacked of a bit of effort. If the news was released a month earlier, it might have been a different story.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 05/12/2011 15:51
  • Post subject:
Harkan concedes, he needs to change his vote
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 05/13/2011 00:36
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
Harkan concedes, he needs to change his vote

1: Not changing vote
2: Don't want to change vote
3: I don't think I conceded; I tried to come to a logical conclusion
4: Cure are still ahead at this time
5: I tried to reason with your initial comment and I believe, I showed not only that the Cure's appeal and influence started before the rise of New Order but that they continue to still draw a crowd for their earliest works, even if they were not critical successes.
  • Visit poster's website