Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2016 05:14
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:

For real, lately there's been a lack of interesting music discussions in the forums. Let's start one. Rocky, got any more topics for those PoD threads? Or maybe somebody should bring back an old one.

I'm happy to bring PoD back. When people are engaging with it, it's a fantastic thread, but, as with many things on this site, it typically starts out strong and then fades as participation fades.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to reviving some of the old topics, and I'd be more than happy to add new ones too.

There were a lot of those PoD threads. I read most of them, even if I didn't contribute. Maybe I'll bring back an old one. Or somebody else can. Doesn't matter.

Anti wrote:

Idk about you guys, but I miss the genre extravaganzas. I'd never host one, but every did a great job with them

RockyRaccoon wrote:
I'd love to get the genre extravaganza back into gear. A ways back, Happymeal and I tried to get it going but, while enough people were interested in reading it, not many seemed to have time to write it, so it kind of died out. However, if people are going be willing to contribute, I'm all about starting that back up.

Genre extravaganzas, what were these? I may have missed them. I joined BEA two years ago. Maybe they were before then.

In any case, bring back a PoD, bring back a GE, let's give sethmadsen's new idea a try.

They all sound way better than 'What's your favorite Beatles album?' Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2016 12:04
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Genre extravaganzas, what were these? I may have missed them. I joined BEA two years ago. Maybe they were before then.

Here's the thread where Satie and I attempted to revive the genre extravaganza, which was after Happymeal and I attempted to revive it.

I understand why it didn't get back off the ground, it requires a major contribution from multiple users. It's easy to read the posts and discuss them, but it's a bit harder to write hundreds (sometimes even over a thousand) words on a genre, it takes time and people are busy.

However, if people are interested in doing it again, and would be committed to contributing (it can be a collaboration too, doesn't have to just be one person), then I'd love to bring it back.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
HarryLuke

• Posted: 08/09/2016 12:44
  • Post subject:
Magical Mystery tour
Sgt Peppers
Revolver
Let it be (Naked)
Abbey Road
White Album
A hard days night
Please please me
Help
Rubber Soul
With the beatles
  • Visit poster's website
shoopadoowop

Canada

• Posted: 08/09/2016 19:46
  • Post subject:
Woah didn't know people hated talking about the Beatles this much. Sorry guys. Honestly I was just really bored when I created this thread.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2016 21:07
  • Post subject:
shoopadoowop wrote:
Woah didn't know people hated talking about the Beatles this much. Sorry guys. Honestly I was just really bored when I created this thread.

I don't speak for everyone, but I do like talking about The Beatles, just not all the time. And it has to be interesting. Sorry, but 'What's your favorite Beatles album?' isn't an interesting conversation. And neither is 'What album are you listening to right now?'
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2016 22:04
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
And neither is 'What album are you listening to right now?'

to be fair, i think the point of that thread is to accumulate points for the new(er) users

that said, i agree with you. i'm not a huge beatle-bugger, but if the thread is generating a discussion, it's cool as the beans themselves. if it's just another thread where users blow, what's the point? heck, you can make your own 'i rated the beat-beas' chart if that's what you're about. you don't need forums to masterb8.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2016 23:20
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
to be fair, i think the point of that thread is to accumulate points

Of course. That's all it is...a lame gimmick users exploit for easy points. It isn't like anybody reads that thread, or gives a crap what the user before them posted. I posted in that thread twice when I was new to site before I realized how dumb it was, and haven't posted to it since. Personally I would love to see it disappear. It's a waste of space that should be occupied by interesting discussion-based threads. But as we've already determined, they've been non-existent lately.
Allabaster

• Posted: 08/09/2016 23:44
  • Post subject:
shoopadoowop wrote:
Woah didn't know people hated talking about the Beatles this much.

Page 5?
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 08/10/2016 00:19
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Of course. That's all it is...a lame gimmick users exploit for easy points. It isn't like anybody reads that thread, or gives a crap what the user before them posted. I posted in that thread twice when I was new to site before I realized how dumb it was, and haven't posted to it since. Personally I would love to see it disappear. It's a waste of space that should be occupied by interesting discussion-based threads. But as we've already determined, they've been non-existent lately.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like and read through that thread, especially when people are posting albums that aren't OK Computer etc. Sometimes I get ideas from it and listen to something new. Threads like this, not so much. And the worst thread imo has to be the mp3 player thread. No value added whatsoever.

The point system has its flaws, and can be very frustrating to new users. I don't think we should judge people who post in the now playing thread to get off the ground. I get much more pissed off at the numerous people who inflate their point totals by giving 5/100 to every album that's not in their comfort zone (frequently hip-hop), even if they've never heard it.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/10/2016 03:10
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like and read through that thread, especially when people are posting albums that aren't OK Computer etc. Sometimes I get ideas from it and listen to something new.

Totally agree.

I thought it was a place to share what you are listening to and rarely there's the discussion about what'd you think, etc. Didn't really think about the point thing.
  • Visit poster's website