6%  [1]
Total Votes : 15

mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/20/2016 05:18
  • Post subject: SLP #1

Spotify URL
You can also find it on my Spotify profile, should be public.

Tracklist:
“In a Dream” by 3rd Line Butterfly
“Evocation” by Anna von Hausswolff
“Daughter/Whore” by Beardfish
“The Splitting of Yourself in Two” by Brooke Waggoner
“You Were Born to be my Gallows” by Dax Riggs
“Heart Baby” by Devin Townsend Project
“Morning on Earth” by Pain of Salvation
“The Fleet” by Snow Ghosts
“Paradise Lost” by Symphony X
“Solitude” by Ulver

Listen to it in whatever order, but I tend to do it alphabetically/song title.

Starting off the debut of the SLP, I guess here’s a little playlist of unrelated random songs I threw together. I suppose if there’s anything that ties this one together is mood. I had this sort of downbeat mood so I put together songs that appealed to me at the time. There’s stuff from the alt/indie pool, the prog pool, the metal pool, and such. Its ten tracks I’m curious to see how my fellow SLP (and its audience I suppose) takes to them.

Last edited by mickilennial on 03/20/2016 18:14; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 03/20/2016 11:57
  • Post subject:
Really dug the Brooke Waggoner track. Whole playlist definitely had that Gowi touch. Music for sitting cross-legged on a mountaintop and contemplating human suffering.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/20/2016 13:48
  • Post subject:
I'm going through the process of manually downloading all these songs and putting them into a playlist myself. Do you have a preferred order (one would be much appreciated), and possibly a square picture that I can put as an album cover on my iTunes? I understand if not, but I'd like to collect all these SLPs and have them as permanent fixtures on my computer so I can treat them like actual mixtapes.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/20/2016 18:05
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I'm going through the process of manually downloading all these songs and putting them into a playlist myself. Do you have a preferred order (one would be much appreciated), and possibly a square picture that I can put as an album cover on my iTunes? I understand if not, but I'd like to collect all these SLPs and have them as permanent fixtures on my computer so I can treat them like actual mixtapes.

I generally listen to it alphabetically by song title or artist. As for a playlist cover, I guess I'll throw one up in the OP.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/20/2016 18:10
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I generally listen to it alphabetically by song title or artist.

That's fair enough, but don't you feel like something's lacking from a mixtape if you don't take the time to sequence it? I dunno, maybe I'm in a minority here, but I've always made an effort to make sure my mixtapes flow in the way I want them to. The placing of songs is just as important to the mixtape as the songs themselves, imo. Not saying there's a right or wrong way to do these or anything, just my two cents.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2016 18:18
  • Post subject:
I'm with Neil. Sequencing is half of what makes this promising. Without it, this list of songs just becomes a boring (if not pretty "good" otherwise) list of prog metal tracks to start with.

Maybe I'll eventually listen to this, even though it'll be a bit of a challenge now that I don't have Spotify anymore. That being said, a lot of these artists I like a good bit, so maybe it's worth giving this a chance after all.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/20/2016 18:27
  • Post subject:
Interesting point-of-view. But my SLP is sort of already out there— I could re-arrange the tracks with a sort of track order, but right now it’s a bit too late for that consideration. If I end up doing another one it’ll be something to consider, but it’s definitely not something SLP creators will be expected to do.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/20/2016 18:56
  • Post subject:
Anyway, I listened to these songs in the order they appeared when I put them into iTunes. Got to say that I found the whole lot very hit and miss, and it definitely didn't help that the three songs I liked least - those by Pain of Salvation, Symphony X, and Beardfish, which were (not coincidentally) the three that were most theatrical and overegged, with one particular chorus about an "ethereal sky" actually making me laugh out loud while it played - ended up grouped together, so that there was a straight fifteen minutes of music I found pretty much intolerable. That said, there was some really cool stuff here too: 3rd Line Butterfly's particular brand of knotty, colourful indie rock was extremely likeable (even if it threatened to stray a little too far into prog territory at times); the Dax Riggs track had a kind of gothic John Martyn thing going on that was pretty groovy; there were some really nice textures behind that majestic Anna von Hausswolff track that were verging on doom at times, and were right up my street; Snow Ghosts basically melded that new wave of British folk thing (Laura Marling, Noah & the Whale, etc.) with some ominous techno, resulting in the track that impressed me most. Overall, the whole thing was held together by vibe, melancholy and meditative, but - and I'm not just saying this because of my earlier posts ITT - had a little bit more thought been put into the sequencing then I might've found it more enjoyable as a whole (seriously, those three aforementioned prog-metal tracks back-to-back was just too much for me to handle). Some nice finds, though, and a really cool start to this whole project.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2016 19:43
  • Post subject:
gave a listen to the spotify list here. I dunno, I think we've got pretty different tastes, this stuff really wasn't clicking with me at all. the effects on the devin townsend track plus the guitar tone plus the effects plus the flute or whatever was hitting a lot of my dislike buttons. and the really theatrical stuff, like those vocals on the pain of salvation track, combined with the slick instrumentation, I really couldn't hang. von Hausswolff was cool tho, I liked her one album with the mountains crave song, and this one was nice. tho I think I prefer the sound from the album I'd heard. 3rd Line Butterfly were also on the plus side for me, some chill indie rock there with a cool approach to ramping up there around the 2 minute mark. but yeah for the most part I think you were goin far into stuff I don't really have an affinity for, so I don't have too too much to say because I think stuff is better evaluated by someone with an affinity for the thing. Thanks for puttin the mix and this project together tho!
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/20/2016 20:08
  • Post subject:
Listening atm. I wouldn't be as harsh as Skinny regarding the Beardfish track. I certainly wouldn't listen to a full hour of this particular brand of prog metal, but for just one track it's welcome invitation out my usual usual.
  • Visit poster's website