My log has something to tell you...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 11/05/2015 22:44
  • Post subject: My log has something to tell you...

I have nothing interesting to say, and I plan on saying a lot of it. Let's see how this goes.

Recommend me things! I promise I'll get to everything sooner or later

~ Table of Contents ~

· ▷ Grimes - Art Angels
· ▷ SquishypuffDave - Organs in Maíns
· ▷ Various Artists - Goodbye, Babylon
· ▷ Arca - Mutant
· ▷ Revenge - Behold.Total.Rejection
· ▷ Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe
· ▷ Diamanda Galás - The Litanies of Satan
· ▷ Akua Naru - Live & Aflame Sessions
· ▷ Frankie Knuckles - Live at Ministry of Sound, 1991 / Satoshi Tomiie - New Day
· ▷ Rob Mazurek / Exploding Star Orchestra - Galactic Parables: Volume 1
· ▷ Busdriver - Thumbs
· ▷ Abyss X - Echoes / マクロスMACROSS 82-99 - Sailorwave
· ▷ Palmbomen II - Palmbomen II
· ▷ Fuckmorgue - Dead, I Will Not Be Forgotten
· ▷ CC Not - Geo Fi
· ▷ Autechre - AE_LIVE
· ▷ Person of Interest - Person of Interest
· ▷ De Leon - Bandcloud Guest Mix
· ▷ Rabit & Chino Amobi - The Great Game: Freedom From Mental Poisoning (The Purification Of The Furies)
· ▷ Mo・Te - Life in a Peaceful World
· ▷ Morton Feldman - Clarinet And String Quartet
· ▷ Marquis Hawkes - FACT 495
· ▷ Various Artists - Dada for Now: A Collection of Futurist and Dada Sound Works
· ▷ Misþyrming - Söngvar Elds Og óreiðu
· ▷ Nozinja - Nozinja Lodge
· ▷ Social Listening Interlude #1
· ▷ Thy Catafalque - Sgùrr
· ▷ Various Artists - So So Def Bass All Stars
· ▷ Blackalicious - Imani, Vol. 1
· ▷ Lubomyr Melnyk - Rivers And Streams
· ▷ Infinity Frequencies - Into The Light

^hahahaha jk that's all it does

Last edited by undefined on 12/03/2016 22:52; edited 37 times in total
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/05/2015 22:48
  • Post subject:
I recommend my Squishtape, ya bish.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/05/2015 22:55
  • Post subject:
might as well get this started with something I've already written about earlier today, and that is clearly going to be the subject of much discussion in the coming days

Art Angels by Grimes

dividesbyzero wrote:
New Grimes is crazy. Regardless of what I think of the album, I have so much respect for her for making it. She was so firmly solidified in "indie darling" territory that she could've made something even vaguely in the same vein of Visions and watch as publications gush over how she's "stepping out of the indietronica zeitgeist" or "expanding her own sonic boundaries" or w/e, and instead she makes the most distinctly uncool album to be in the indie world spotlight in as long as I can remember, and like others have said, she's not even remotely ironic about it. AND because she released the most p4k accessible track first and got the BNT, they'll have no choice but to rate it highly given all the hype they already have invested in it. This album exists 100% on Grimes' own terms without giving a shit about image or basically anything outside of herself and releasing it takes massive balls, so credit where credit's due. Also (and again, regardless of how I personally feel about the album) I'd bet good money that 10-15 years down the line a bunch of hip neo-poptimist sorts (or whatever that looks like in the future) are gonna "re-discover" this album and it's gonna become an indispensable darling within the cult canon of a very specific kind of listener. Mark my words.

Personally, I'm still not quite sure I know what I think of it, but I've synced it onto an iPod that only has so much space on it if that speaks to anything...

But yeah props to Grimes for making the album she wanted to make

Since writing this I've fleshed out my own personal feelings on the album a bit. BUT I'm in class atm so now that I've got ya hooked STAY TUNED for my soon (see: eventually) to be edited in knee jerk reactions to the album. Haven't had this much trouble really articulating why or even if I like an album in a long time

SquishypuffDave wrote:
I recommend my Squishtape, ya bish.

I'll light some candles and make a special time for it tonight I promise

EDIT: I had some further Grimes thoughts worked out here, but tbh I am ignorant of so many of the pop reference points this album suggests that it was kinda a pointless endeavor on my part. I really enjoy the album, but placing it on any kind of pop history continuum is beyond me at this point. I'll leave that to Charlie Wink

Last edited by undefined on 11/07/2015 19:27; edited 2 times in total
undefined

• Posted: 11/06/2015 08:43
  • Post subject:
Organs In Mains by SquishypuffDave

Squishy that gif gave me such a headache every time I tried to read the track listing...

BUT the tape is exceedingly dope and I don't even need to yell at you for taking up my brief free-period before needing to fall asleep because it really was a pleasure to listen to. First two tracks were new to me, the former being very very excellent. Excellent choices as well with Pan Sonic and HELM, and just the overall flow of the whole thing was all kinds of smooth

I'd right more but I'd already be asleep if I didn't promise Dave his moment in the spotlight

TOMORROW: more thoughts on Grimes, gushing over my recent discoveries from Dust-to-Digital records, this thing Norm gave me, the new Revenge, the new Arca, my friend's mixtape, and whatever else you people decide I need to shove in my ears

now let's see how much of that I actually get to...
Satie

• Posted: 11/06/2015 15:30
  • Post subject:
in years, they'll ask - who was the one with the most Tyler title on the Music Diaries forum?

and i'll whisper "it wasn't me"
undefined

• Posted: 11/06/2015 18:42
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
in years, they'll ask - who was the one with the most Tyler title on the Music Diaries forum?

and i'll whisper "it wasn't me"

so this has been my jam as of late

Goodbye, Babylon by Various Artists

Dust-to-Digital are a relatively new label that act in part as a musical archeologically dig (waits for Tyler to lambaste me for misuse of the term) and restoration team, documenting the history of American recorded music going all the way back to the late 19th century. Just as importantly though, these D2D people (as I am now calling them) are seriously some masterful curators of the piles and piles of historical goodies they must unearth on a daily basis. Their compilations (especially the above) feel like much more than historical documents; it honestly just flows like a very good, cohesive album of gospel and various forms of American traditional music from as early as 1902. 6 Discs and everything feels absolutely essential.

Disc 1 (Introduction) is something of a sampler, containing various examples of (always beautifully poorly recorded) mournful blues, fervid work songs, and spiritual tunes so soulful it's enough to make me want to believe in whatever it is they're singing about. The latter mode continues in full force onto disc 2 (Deliverance Will Come) which is largely an expedience in proving the existence of the human soul, and you know what I buy it. Praise the lawd

Disc 3 (Judgment) is fucking incredible. The hymns and chants here range from angelic and moving to almost somber in their introspection, and there's a Blind Willie Johnson track in there that's the best thing I've ever heard from him. Never really sure how to quantify the abstract concept of the soul in music, but if anyone ever asks me I'll probably show them this disc.

Disc 4 (Salvation) is a little more straightforward, being largely composed of surprisingly restrained balladeering. The most notably melodic sections are here but everything always seems to be tinged with some kind of intense yearning

The eponymous 5th disc has some more rousing moments appalachian folk music and bluegrass numbers, with a healthy dose of country blues. This is about where I give up on any kind of logical musical analysis and say that this sounds like a bunch of people who have had a generally shit life still finding hope and joy in their faith, to the point that my relentlessly secular self finds their dedication beautiful, and their mode of expression undeniably moving. This feeling actually carries over to the final disc (Sermons) which is exactly what it sounds like; shoddily recorded sermons (with the occasional minimal instrumentation) of the most passionate sort. It's the least "musical" disc but perhaps the most reflective of the effect it has on my listening experience, which is to be based in subject matter of little interest to my oh-so-hip non-religious self and to make me give a shit about it. I am eager to listen to every word these various preacher and reverends have to say, and that's even when you filter most of the music out at this point. The more "musical" sections are still by far my favorites, but there's something to be said for the fact that disc 6 keeps me engaged via passionate expression of a dedication to and love for something greater. There's so much feeling behind the music here that at some point I think there's something beautiful in being able to have something to believe in that you can unapologetically express through the universal medium of music. For all the mourning present here, there is so much hope coating the entire affair. Unshakable faith isn't for me, and fuck knows (admittedly perverted forms) of it have done a lot of harm throughout human history, but here I'm reminded that I'm still glad it exists, and that it can be made into something truly heartrending.

Link

Last edited by undefined on 11/06/2015 18:52; edited 1 time in total
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/06/2015 18:48
  • Post subject:
On to this ^ cheers
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/06/2015 19:10
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
On to this ^ cheers

I actually primarily had you and meccalecca in mind listening to this. Lemme know how you like it!

Just got done with (not on the database yet)

Arca - Mutant (2015)

Arca's an interesting fellow. Stylistically I've always imagined him among the LA beat scene with the likes of Teebs and Daedalus, and while he always seems to have his many stylistic variations rooted in the LA underground's ideas of wonky and glitch-hop, there's always a twist, and here he's delved into what is likely his most atmospheric and unexpectedly subdued (even given the more plodding industrial bits), and likely his best since the Stretch EPs.

The glitched-out instrumental hip-hop ideals at the core of a lot of Arca's work seem to take a back seat here to make way for homages to a broad history of experimental electronic music at a midpoint between Planet Mu and Ninja Tune. It's not as dark and claustrophobic as last year's Xen, without the same pervading sense of warped sonic paranoia, and it's not quite as alien sounding as he's sounded the past, nor does it have any outright bangers -which I'm not gonna lie I bemoan the lack of- but the album may very well be his most cohesive work to date, and as much as I secretly just want him to make Stretch 2 all over again, I dig this, quite a lot actually, and I wouldn't mind seeing Arca keep going in this direction for awhile just to see where it takes him.

Throughout all Arca's stylistic variation over the last 5 years, he's maintained one of the most unique voices in contemporary experimental electronic production, and it almost always shines through in everything he does.
undefined

• Posted: 11/06/2015 22:37
  • Post subject:
EDIT: pt. 2 of Art Angels babble now edited into earlier post where it damn well belongs. Move along.

EDIT 2: and now it's gone because I pulled most of it out of my uninformed ass tbh

Last edited by undefined on 11/07/2015 19:28; edited 2 times in total
undefined

• Posted: 11/07/2015 01:46
  • Post subject:
my family just decided to blast the new U2 downstairs. I'd protest but last time that I happened I was simply told that I only "claim" to dislike U2 because "Bono writes about Jesus instead of Satan like you'd like", which isn't technically false, and it does bring me nicely to

Revenge - Behold.Total.Rejection

I have no problem calling this my favorite Revenge album to date, and really they've been one of the most consistent metal acts out there for over a decade now; their just totally filthy production and raw hateful energy really does make the world a better place. Here they've ditched some of their periphery dabblings in other forms of BM and just made the most deliciously vile album of pure war metal since... well since the last Revenge album probably (though the last couple of Archgoat albums do make quite a case for themselves)

Fun for the whole family!