We welcome any feedback on this web site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 05/23/2010 14:44
  • Post subject:
Have you got the digital dream door greatest albums list on here ?

They update the list at the end of every year, I went on the site alot when I was younger to gain more knowledge about music until I found this site .. Its incredibly authentic and not tainted with a lot of crap some lists can be .. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in .. I've also got the link below if you want to have a look

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/page...msddd.html
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/24/2010 19:02
  • Post subject:
Hi thomas697, yes it looks a good list and seems to meet the eligibility criteria. We'll add it to the site (it might take a day or so to appear)
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2010 19:24
  • Post subject:
"The chart is from a well-regarded or widely-recognised source." Is it?

Chart appears to be the work of one man "Rob." Will any chart published on a .com site qualify?

DigitalDreamDoor.com is a website that is completely operated, designed, maintained, and controlled by one person in Boca Raton, Florida, U.S.A.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2010 03:30
  • Post subject:
Email topic reply notifications and comment reply notifications are extremely delayed lately. Site statistics also don't appear to be updated twice daily anymore. Please correct.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2010 11:54
  • Post subject:
A to Z search would be a lot faster and less frustrating if there were dropdown scrollable alphas rather than paged alphas.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/30/2010 11:49
  • Post subject:
Site stats now on a six hour schedule. We´ve been doing some background work on average ratings and this is why we skipped a couple of stat refreshes.

Not sure why the email would be delayed. No changes have been made here for quite some time. Its possible there is an issue with our hosting provider. I´ll investigate this and maybe we can switch mail servers. Typically, how long is the delay that you are experiencing here?

Your last point regarding A to Z, I don´t really understand what you are meaning by dropdown scrollable alphas (dropdown and scrollable are two different things to my mind). If you could give a little more description to help me understand, or point me at a URL on another site I´ll gladly give your idea some consideration (I know it´s not perfect at the moment).

EDIT: we've now doubled the number of bands on each page of the A to Z index from 20 to 40 (means half the number of clicks you are now making).
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2010 13:28
  • Post subject:
For examples of a dropdown scrollable lists see Favorites in IE8 or see acclaimedmusic.com. Both use a scroll bar, both will accept other mouse/pad scroll inputs.

Email notifications were hours behind. May have improved lately.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/30/2010 18:12
  • Post subject:
Hi RFNAPLES, ok I understand what you mean by that now. I'm interested in trying to understand why you think it is frustrating/slow. Are you using the list to locate a specific artist, or are you just browsing the list looking for ideas? Maybe the 'A to Z' is surplus to requirements and we should just have a search page.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2010 18:47
  • Post subject:
It takes longer to page through an alpha list than it does to scroll, even if you attempt to guess on which page the artist is located. You guess wrong you go forward or backwards until finally you have the right page. With a scroll you can easily stop right on the artist in question.

Having more artists on each page helps but it further speeds it up if they were all there. Alternatively you could breakdown the longer alpha categories, e.g., A-Am, An-Az, etc.

That brings me to the alphabetizing method the site uses. Artists are ordered by first name rather than surname. Most libraries sort by surname. I know for instance its Davies but do I want Ray or Dave? With a surname sort family names are together. I know it was Williams, but what was his first name? Bill, William, Richard, Dick, Robert, Bob, etc.

An A to Z list is good, especially if you don't know exactly how to spell the name or if you are just roaming to see what is available.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/30/2010 20:48
  • Post subject:
Thanks, that's really very useful feedback. Regarding the pagination, we´ll see what we can do here to make this more user friendly. You can appreciate that we can't always show everything on one page as the site wouldn't scale very well if we did this, but we could certainly look at making the page 'numbering' more intuitive so it's a bit more friendly for browsing.

Alphabetizing is more complicated. You might notice that The Beatles is listed under 'B' for Beatles and not 'T' (for 'The'!) Not all groups/artists use somebody's name as the group name so it's particularly tricky to get this right (some people might expect an entry in either place). It does get quite complicated once you start getting into the detail e.g. how would you list an album that was performed by three separate solo artists e.g. Friday Night In San Francisco by Al Di ...o De Lucia. ...

As an example, the HMV (UK music store) A-Z index is pretty similar to here (with all of its shortcomings!) Multiple pages for each individual letter and not sorted by artist's last name. Listed under 'A' is Amy McDonald...

RYM is the same as here with the way that the pagination works (page numbers once you click on an individual letter). Admittedly, for solo artists they list
by surname/firstname (but not always consistently).

A lot other sites simply don't bother with an A to Z (notably Last.fm, Amazon). I think these sites more encourge people to browse by genre/tag. This is definitely a direction that we will be moving in once the genre update is live.
  • Visit poster's website