vs.

Cause Of Death by Obituary

(nominated by pa)

<Poll will close in one week>
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/21/2016 10:21
  • Post subject:
Kingdom come was decent. It got a bit tired by the end as it all sounded the same. I could happily enjoy these tracks on their own on a comp or i can imagine Andy votel putting one in a mix. Was nice to hear a song i recognised that Edan had sampled.
Cause of death I didn't finish. It started real nice. I was thinking it would be an easy vote for this one during the first song intro, enjoying the sound. Then the vocal came in. And it wasn't just a tad loud, it absolutely dominates the sound to a point where I couldn't listen past track two. I just found it unlistenable down to that. I actually read somewhere that there had been a remixed or remastered version issued with louder vox but the versions I found on both spotify and YouTube sounded the same.
  • Visit poster's website
Mies

• Posted: 11/22/2016 13:39
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
Then the vocal came in. And it wasn't just a tad loud, it absolutely dominates the sound to a point where I couldn't listen past track two. I just found it unlistenable down to that. I actually read somewhere that there had been a remixed or remastered version issued with louder vox but the versions I found on both spotify and YouTube sounded the same.

I dont know, i didnt find the vocals too loud, just enough. Maybe it's just that i love them and you dont like them too much.
However i really liked Cause of Death overall. It reminded me of early Death, which is a good thing. Great riffs, great death vocals, great interplay of riffs and rhythms.
As for Kingdom Come, the title-track was awesome, but the rest wasnt at the same level, pretty enjoyed it but overall a little too hard rock oriented for my taste (not even sure i would call it metal, but whatever).
Voted to Cause of Death.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/23/2016 05:07
  • Post subject:
Quote:
(not even sure i would call it metal, but whatever).

Probably because it IS hard rock, but really influential to metal and was the first album to be called 'heavy metal' by a publication. Just as influential as Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
Mies

• Posted: 11/23/2016 13:18
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Probably because it IS hard rock

That's actually what i thought, and that would mean the album shouldnt even be in the tournament, but it's a controversial argument and i don't think i'm the one who can tell what it's metal and what it's not, so...
Anyway BS are def metal for me, and they are for you too, unless you changed your ideas since the last time we talked about.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/23/2016 16:02
  • Post subject:
Cause of Death is a fantastic album, but I just love Kingdom Come too much to vote against it

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 11/23/2016 16:56
  • Post subject:
I voted cause of death.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 11/23/2016 17:02
  • Post subject:
If there are questions about whether albums should be in this tournament they should have been discussed during the nomination process. Though in this case it wouldn't have mattered given RYM is our unbiased tie breaker and it lists it as heavy metal.

Personally though I agree that while it's a good album it's probably a stretch to call it metal. It still gets my vote since Cause Of Death does nothing for me; I thought I was starting to like more death metal but so far it's the technical stuff like late Death or Gorguts that I enjoy. The riffs here aren't as interesting and feel less powerful, meaning the vocals feel a little out of place.
Exist-en-ciel

• Posted: 11/24/2016 02:15
  • Post subject:
I preferred Kingdom Come and voted for Sir Lord Baltimore.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/24/2016 10:43
  • Post subject:
Mies wrote:
That's actually what i thought, and that would mean the album shouldnt even be in the tournament, but it's a controversial argument and i don't think i'm the one who can tell what it's metal and what it's not, so...
Anyway BS are def metal for me, and they are for you too, unless you changed your ideas since the last time we talked about.

If you look at it, it can be a tough opinion to call. Kingdom Come is recognized as historically the first album to be credited as a ‘metal’ album, which in this sort of proto-period represented these bands creating darker and faster works within a hard rock (or psychedelic rock) framework. The “hard” definitions of metal are really blurry and open for debate for many albums, and it faces principal speculation much like how people argue if MC5, The Stooges, and so forth are punk in actuality or garage rock outfits that were just principally influential for the movement, scene, and ultimately the genre. Personally, I’d prefer to have Kingdom Come in this tournament for people to listen to and experience when their “early metal” awareness might be limited to Judas Priest’s 1970s output and Black Sabbath’s early discography than to have them sitting in obscurity. Their influence is documented, but mainstream awareness is not significant.
  • Visit poster's website