My Criteria For Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/27/2018 07:10
  • Post subject:
TO ALL -- OR ANYONE INTERESTED:

I am very likely going to be erasing and getting rid of the "Recommendations" page/part of this Criteria page. I used to have a little bit more time to honor these a bit more consistently, but unless it is already in line with my plans at a given time (such as a Metal rec while I am working on my Metal genre list, etc), I am simply not sure when I am going to get around to a number of those (still waiting to be listened to/viewed). My agenda, first and foremost, would naturally be Scaruffi's selections in a given art form (due to the probability of agreement, for efficiency's sake). And I can only fit in other recommendations outside this agenda on occasion -- so it will just take too damn long to get to several of them, and the page has become close to useless these days.

I am probably going to replace these pages with something else. I am considering replacing them with "reviews/analysis" and/or "bullet points" on various works (arranged alphabetically or by genre...) so as to give further examples of my thinking/criteria in application, and to act as sort of a guide for a given work that others might find useful. And maybe further aspects to this "guide". I may just erase it altogether (aside from the main criteria page) due to the possibility that I'm not sure how often I would have time to keep up/revise/update a guide in the first place.

I am also in the process (potentially) of polishing up my criteria in general -- just nuances, not a major overhaul. Particularly in ensuring all the numbers and variations are accurate reflections of the works and their quality in uniform relation to each other. It's too nerdy to go into here exactly what I mean but basically, DelBocaVista and I have been discussing formulas and math and variations and concepts along this line for months now (via PM) and this may produce some revisions. I have never quite been able to express the numerical aspect of the criteria "uniformly and perfectly" (meaning, the ratings and the numerical/rating combinations leading to them) ... that is, if such a "perfect" and "uniform" system even exists. Though what I have already there is very applicable and practical as is, it is flawed in certain outlier possibilities that could arise.

Anyway...

Fwiw, I am warning that the recommendations page is probably coming down soon so if anyone wants to save any recommendations or information from it for whatever reason, I would do so. I will most likely be taking it down sometime around Christmas.

Btw, by taking it down, I do not mean that I will no longer be accepting recommendations. It was just a page to log these and the results and (when it was more active, including on previous website, it produced a lot of discussion about the works and so forth). You can still recommend albums, films, paintings, or whatever to me just like always.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2018 05:45
  • Post subject:
Sorry gents, it's been a week.

Also I'm incredibly impressed with your ability to make such hollow music look awesome. I really am not sure I want to continue a discussion that suggests GnR is as great as you are making it sound (you are selling it incredibly well and if I had no understanding of aesthetics or artistry or writing music or how to play an instrument, I'd probably just agree with you). I really have yet to see really any argument which corroborates your 6 or so positions on what makes fine music/art (a framework I actually agree with completely) with GnR. I suppose, as it truly is, our subjective outlook on this likely has truth (both sides). Perhaps I should agree with my man Hegel and realize with some dialectic reasoning, we likely would see where both of our stances fall short and where they both hold truth/value. In the end I personally think it's ludicrous one could back GnR's songwriting/instrumentation, emotional depth, or mental acuity to surpass even the single Please Please Me. But I think it's cool you have a shitload of adjectives to back it up (and I mean that in seriousness... that was well written). I personally can't see the claims you are making take fruition (as you can't see the claims I've made take fruition either, completely disagreeing with any "expert" in the matter (countless musicians, music theorists, or professors of music).

One thing I'll leave is this for food for thought:
The Edge is often seen as a mediocre guitar player. I see him as a scientist of space and time (as a good musician should be). What I do know is Slash's guitar stuff nearly any decent guitar player can play (even with a similar emotion), but to figure out the calculations the Edge put into his music... actually very few can pull off. The Edge doesn't shred, but he does mess with space and time like very, very few guitarists can (and actually "plays to the song" like Ringo... instead of being a show off). Just a different perspective. Not saying it is the "right" perspective... that'd be a bit ignorant to claim.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/29/2018 07:13
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Sorry gents, it's been a week.

Also I'm incredibly impressed with your ability to make such hollow music look awesome. I really am not sure I want to continue a discussion that suggests GnR is as great as you are making it sound (you are selling it incredibly well and if I had no understanding of aesthetics or artistry or writing music or how to play an instrument, I'd probably just agree with you). I really have yet to see really any argument which corroborates your 6 or so positions on what makes fine music/art (a framework I actually agree with completely) with GnR. I suppose, as it truly is, our subjective outlook on this likely has truth (both sides). Perhaps I should agree with my man Hegel and realize with some dialectic reasoning, we likely would see where both of our stances fall short and where they both hold truth/value. In the end I personally think it's ludicrous one could back GnR's songwriting/instrumentation, emotional depth, or mental acuity to surpass even the single Please Please Me. But I think it's cool you have a shitload of adjectives to back it up (and I mean that in seriousness... that was well written). I personally can't see the claims you are making take fruition (as you can't see the claims I've made take fruition either, completely disagreeing with any "expert" in the matter (countless musicians, music theorists, or professors of music).

One thing I'll leave is this for food for thought:
The Edge is often seen as a mediocre guitar player. I see him as a scientist of space and time (as a good musician should be). What I do know is Slash's guitar stuff nearly any decent guitar player can play (even with a similar emotion), but to figure out the calculations the Edge put into his music... actually very few can pull off. The Edge doesn't shred, but he does mess with space and time like very, very few guitarists can (and actually "plays to the song" like Ringo... instead of being a show off). Just a different perspective. Not saying it is the "right" perspective... that'd be a bit ignorant to claim.

No worries -- I lost interest and moved onto working on some other things anyway. I was pretty sure going in that the eventual reply would go something like this and didnt have or spend much time with my points so no harm done.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2018 04:12
  • Post subject:
I will say I respect your tenaciousness/standards in finding solid music and really do respect your point of view, even if I have a hard time agreeing with 30% of it sometimes. Good friends/humans can see another's point and understand it/acknowledge it/validate it, and I think we did an ok job in doing so. I suppose one thing I will ask of you is please don't say you have yet to see anyone give examples of emotional depth, musical prowess, or intellectual intrigue in The Beatles music. I haven't done a fantastic job giving direct analysis/examples/references because this is a hobby and I didn't have time to go back and find the research to back up my claims, but that perhaps will be a project I do in the future. I think there are a number of flaws in previous discourses I've had issue with and doesn't paint a full picture (for both sides of the coin).

May your projects carry on in heart and mind (drenched in catharsis and enlightenment), as will mine.

Also, thank you for being willing to try and have real discussions here, even if forums aren't the best (when adults spend the small amount of free time we have "trying" to commune with a greater good).
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/30/2018 04:38
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I will say I respect your tenaciousness/standards in finding solid music and really do respect your point of view, even if I have a hard time agreeing with 30% of it sometimes. Good friends/humans can see another's point and understand it/acknowledge it/validate it, and I think we did an ok job in doing so. I suppose one thing I will ask of you is please don't say you have yet to see anyone give examples of emotional depth, musical prowess, or intellectual intrigue in The Beatles music.

Thanks, you too. But I never actually said that. All music has at least "some" degree of all of those qualities. No music/art has truly "infinite" values of those qualities and no music/art has truly "zero" value of those qualities. What I have said (in however many words and at many varying times) is that no one can show me how the Beatles rank as among the greatest in any of the key qualities that would amount to that ... ... and I rested my case a long time ago to be honest. The amount of art Ive experienced already told me the answer, so to speak... But it's never been responded to (without variations, falsehoods or modifications, etc) and I dont think it ever will be because they weren't even trying to make extraordinary/amazing/profound music (by and large) -- they were making novelty Art Pop (by and large). I'm not going to pretend like it has been answered if it hasn't. Even though that might annoy you (like it might any Beatles fan) Im saying it hasn't simply because it hasn't, not to annoy anyone, and because it is interesting to me that an artist/band claimed to be among the greatest in history can't be shown to have done anything musically expressive that could (with a straight face and comparison to other examples) be called among the greatest ever (without being thwarted by many more stellar examples from someone that's listened to a decent helping of music history).
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/30/2018 05:21
  • Post subject:
@seth

The other thing to know is youre unlikely to have a very smooth discussion/argument with me if you havent assimilated at least a fairly sizable helping or more of the same art that populate my "Greatest" lists (Im guessing Jazz from the 60s forward and most of the semi obscure or very obscure Rock selections are the biggest missing links, unless maybe we include cinema and visual art too?) We can make efforts here and there, but there is a huge difference in the works/experiences I am judging from in comparison to the types of works/experiences you are comparing to. Something to sort of remind yourself of or keep in mind is that Ive already experienced and assessed all the albums on your entire chart (excepting some of the most recent ones) plus all the other substantial works of each of their genres to compare them to. I doubt if you can say the same thing about my chart/lists -- which is completely fine in and of itself -- but that makes it very difficult for you to truly get where I am coming from, despite your obvious intelligence, valiant interest and efforts.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2018 06:01
  • Post subject:
I can agree with that. I have only listened to about 35 of your top 100 records. Some of which I actually don't find authentically mirroring the human experience, rather the fringe thereof (which then starts to make it feel to me-subjective-as unauthentic music). I am thinking if I were to start listening to all of them, I'm not sure I'd then start appreciating the aesthetic presented, as perhaps you have equally been displeased with mine (probably thinking I'm a Rolling Stone Magazine pleb). Please don't take offense, it's my emotional reasoning and nothing more - I'm sure they are all fine representations of great music. I think one massive difference in our value systems is that for you it has to be the "best" representation of something, and for me there is no such thing as Plato's chair, it's only rationalism (imagined in our own minds as such), and therefore can't be anything beyond subjective.

I really do think music can be a Pavlovs dog experiment, and I think our mouths salivate with different triggers. What you feed more into, is the more you strive for/appreciate, etc.

But I can agree with your point of view. It appears to me that you feel you have "graduated" past these albums I think are good or great and seek something beyond them. Maybe in ten years that could be something I do too... who knows. Perhaps I'll just be listening to serialism and actually enjoy it! It does seem like you have been at this since 2006 (perhaps earlier?) and I for a short stint in 2011 (really just documenting my musical tastes at that time), but really only putting my musical taste to the "test" since 2016.

And I agree with what you say about the possible crux of our agreement. The level in which an artist like The Beatles, Beck, R.E.M., Paul Simon, Radiohead, U2, or Nirvana could be seen as anything other than subpar when stacked against other artists and the subjective value we associate with them.We also disagree the degree upon these artists will have any historical significance 200 years from now.

Sometimes I thought well Wagner and Beethoven can't really be compared because they different things very well... in other words, define "the greatest". They conveyed completely different ideals musically and philosophically. Gesamtkunstwerk vs master of the symphony - nearly pure extreme emotion vs "vernunft" (there's a theory that Wagner supersedes Beethoven due to the poetic forms Wagner used/Goethe's arguement that music is the lowest form of art and poetry is the highest due to the amount of brainpower it takes to understand/write poetry and/or the interpretation thereof - music alone is nearly strictly emotional, especially of the time... uh oh, I'm rambling late at night things I learned 6 years ago...

Laughing Shocked Applause Anxious Shame on you Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/30/2018 19:30
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I can agree with that. I have only listened to about 35 of your top 100 records. Some of which I actually don't find authentically mirroring the human experience, rather the fringe thereof (which then starts to make it feel to me-subjective-as unauthentic music). I am thinking if I were to start listening to all of them, I'm not sure I'd then start appreciating the aesthetic presented, as perhaps you have equally been displeased with mine (probably thinking I'm a Rolling Stone Magazine pleb). Please don't take offense, it's my emotional reasoning and nothing more - I'm sure they are all fine representations of great music. I think one massive difference in our value systems is that for you it has to be the "best" representation of something, and for me there is no such thing as Plato's chair, it's only rationalism (imagined in our own minds as such), and therefore can't be anything beyond subjective.

I really don't take offense to someone that doesn't like an album/work that I do, otherwise I would be a very distraught person by now. I could care less tbh. What can be annoying is if they are arguing "my" position without backing it up by a similar amount of effort/experience/gained insight (or more!) involved (at the very least regarding the work in question) that I have. In other words, they dont even really know my position yet are arguing its merits. In such a case, they tend to be arguing something they havent truly found out about. It is remarkable (but not really) that arguments tend to cease to the degree that a person really listens to/views/assimilates the works listed. The usual assumption (from the type of person that doesn't or won't) is something along the lines that just because I dont think the Beatles produced any masterpieces on the order of Beethoven's, all of my selections must be wrong. "Well, how about finding out first? Have you even really listened to the masterpieces of Beethoven to first realize just how wide the discrepancy is?" Ive found that The Beatles greatness (in terms of the heights its been elevated by media culture) is more an assumption than something that has actually been evaluated musically/expressively in comparison to those that were.

Re: "Plato's Chair" ... in regards to discussing the merits or greatness of something, I feel the "it's all subjective so there is no greater values/examples anywhere" (and the like) "argument" is just about the laziest and usually (maybe not you) an admission that the person does not observe, know, evaluate or substantiate differences between such things, probably doesnt trust his/her own judgements, and has not based his selections/rankings/decisions/arguments (or his evaluation of yours/mine) on anything substantive and so any discussion is a waste of time.

sethmadsen wrote:

I really do think music can be a Pavlovs dog experiment, and I think our mouths salivate with different triggers. What you feed more into, is the more you strive for/appreciate, etc.

See most mainstream "top 40" music/modern radio for numerous examples.

More, whenever I can...
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/30/2018 20:24
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

But I can agree with your point of view. It appears to me that you feel you have "graduated" past these albums I think are good or great and seek something beyond them. Maybe in ten years that could be something I do too... who knows. Perhaps I'll just be listening to serialism and actually enjoy it! It does seem like you have been at this since 2006 (perhaps earlier?) and I for a short stint in 2011 (really just documenting my musical tastes at that time), but really only putting my musical taste to the "test" since 2016.

Right on, it is quite an endeavor and I hope it is as exciting as mine has been! I had pretty equivalent type top selections between 1994 and 1996ish. Then got into Classical pretty exclusively (except some Radiohead and a few others) until about 2000. Then returned to almost exclusively Rock and classic Jazz selections, and my selections started growing out of "the Rolling Stone top 500" (not that there arent many albums on there that even today populate and top my lists...). I held onto The Beatles as "the best Pop/Rock band of all time" until about 2001 or so when Blonde On Blonde, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and Van Morrison's Astral Weeks changed my "Rock" music life, showing me that there was Rock music that equalled the profundity and expressiveness of the masterpieces of Classical (but until then thought this didnt exist, that they were completely separate, and treated them as entirely separate art forms with entirely different criteria). I then said to myself "wait a second" Think and started listening to several other works I was already familiar with (that broke the mould) a bit more closely (VU and Nico, The Doors, Spiderland, Mingus, Coltrane, Miles Davis...) and found I'd been listening to the music "incorrectly" with predisposition and false assumption of its expressive purpose that had been a barrier to me discovering its greatness (basically turning into what my criteria page is today). Later, about 2005, I discovered Scaruffi, where I found most of the less widely known masterpieces I list today, including someone (in Scaruffi) that has a very similar criteria and has (luckily!) done lots of the work in advance. I still have to do the work, but this greatly increases its efficiency.

sethmadsen wrote:

And I agree with what you say about the possible crux of our agreement. The level in which an artist like The Beatles, Beck, R.E.M., Paul Simon, Radiohead, U2, or Nirvana could be seen as anything other than subpar when stacked against other artists and the subjective value we associate with them.We also disagree the degree upon these artists will have any historical significance 200 years from now.

Remember those artists tend to each have multiple 7s (superb/extraordinary ... Beck and REM both have 7.5s) ...If you think of my 7 as a 10 on your scale, subpar is a greatly exaggerated term. Only "subpar" if we are only comparing them to Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, Brahms...

All of those Rock artists may be overrated to me (in the sense that they are the "greatest ever"), but they are "above-par" in the grand view of things.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/01/2018 01:52
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Some of which I actually don't find authentically mirroring the human experience, rather the fringe thereof (which then starts to make it feel to me-subjective-as unauthentic music).

Important to realize that my selections feature many variations of expression/experience (and is an attempt to discover the greatest examples of all)... metaphorical, realistic and surrealistic, between purely internalized highly subjective expression or extroverted and communicative, of abstract, expressionist, psychedelic, dadaist, etc.

sethmadsen wrote:

Sometimes I thought well Wagner and Beethoven can't really be compared because they different things very well... in other words, define "the greatest". They conveyed completely different ideals musically and philosophically. Gesamtkunstwerk vs master of the symphony - nearly pure extreme emotion vs "vernunft" (there's a theory that Wagner supersedes Beethoven due to the poetic forms Wagner used/Goethe's arguement that music is the lowest form of art and poetry is the highest due to the amount of brainpower it takes to understand/write poetry and/or the interpretation thereof - music alone is nearly strictly emotional, especially of the time... uh oh, I'm rambling late at night things I learned 6 years ago...

Laughing Shocked Applause Anxious Shame on you Brick wall

I dont really have an argument if someone considers Wagner better than Beethoven, or the other way around. I would place Beethoven higher, but they both approached/reached the greatest pinnacles that music is ever likely to see.
  • Visit poster's website