My Criteria For Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/14/2019 02:59
  • Post subject:
Just posted a review/analysis of:

3rd post, 1st page (scroll down below "My Criteria" and "Recommended Order")
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/15/2019 08:06
  • Post subject:
Just added key points/analysis of:

1st page, 3rd post (scroll below the "My Criteria", and the "Recommended Order" section)
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/23/2019 01:55
  • Post subject:
An interesting statistical analysis of Scaruffi's selections/website: https://davefernig.com/2015/12/28/visua...-database/

As my ratings selections follow a similar trajectory and ratios as illustrated here, no more complaining about those 7s, 7.5s or what-have-you Shame on you Theyre pretty rare in the grand scheme of things Smile

Besides, if every good album is 9.5 or 10/10, wtf is something like Beethoven's 9th ... or Tristan & Isolde ... etc? This sort of dilemma is solved by my criteria and ratings system (and perhaps other alike stricter scales that look at the whole picture) ... and of course, Scaruffi solved it well before me...
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/23/2019 03:04
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
An interesting statistical analysis of Scaruffi's selections/website: https://davefernig.com/2015/12/28/visua...-database/

As my ratings selections follow a similar trajectory and ratios as illustrated here, no more complaining about those 7s, 7.5s or what-have-you Shame on you Theyre pretty rare in the grand scheme of things Smile

Besides, if every good album is 9.5 or 10/10, wtf is something like Beethoven's 9th ... or Tristan & Isolde ... etc? This sort of dilemma is solved by my criteria and ratings system (and perhaps other alike stricter scales that look at the whole picture) ... and of course, Scaruffi solved it well before me...

That is some good perspective, even if for me I don't quite see it on a scale like that. I suppose one could try to claim objectivity in the matter, but good luck proving it.

It does feel though that 7.5 is really the cutoff for the cream. 6.5-7 seems like solid and 6 is the start of average. Makes you wonder what it'd look like if he only used whole numbers as much of the .5 entries are low.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/23/2019 03:55
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

That is some good perspective, even if for me I don't quite see it on a scale like that. I suppose one could try to claim objectivity in the matter, but good luck proving it.

It does feel though that 7.5 is really the cutoff for the cream. 6.5-7 seems like solid and 6 is the start of average. Makes you wonder what it'd look like if he only used whole numbers as much of the .5 entries are low.

Yep you could rightfully say that 7.5 is the real cut off (for both of us). Which is where "Greatest of All Time" begins for me and the rarity and distribution of the ratings supports this (as you've alluded to) obviously getting rarer and rarer as the ratings rise (as it should be, logically, "mathematically").

I mentioned 7 because lots of famous and critically acclaimed works tend to get this rating, and since these ones dont quite make it onto my "Greatest of All Time" list, these tend to be the most noticed or questioned omissions.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2019 01:29
  • Post subject:
I'd like to say I've come to appreciate your efforts to crunch the difference between a 7 and a 7.5 or 7.5 and a 9.5. (7.5 being a start for a great album as opposed to my start for an average album) Up until recently I thought it a bit trifle. But the more music you listen to, the more important it is to decipher. I'm just saying this as I review some of my ratings that I'm seeing wait, that 90 and that 90 don't really equate. And maybe it really doesn't matter and it is trifle, but we'll see.

I'm finding my ratings being crunched between 70 and 100 because I didn't want to be so harsh. I had to actually dislike it instead of saying it's not for me, but I can see some merit. 60 had to have an element I purposely disliked and from there it was how much I hated it.

Now I'm seeing 50 and 60 really need to be used on average albums (I mean that's a 3 star... and a 55 really should be the average I suppose, being a 2.5).

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 03/15/2019 02:52; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2019 01:47
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I'd like to say I've come to appreciate your efforts to crunch the difference between a 7 and a 7.5 or 7.5 and a 9.5. Up until recently I thought it a bit trifle. But the more music you listen to, the more important it is to decipher. I'm just saying this as I review some of my ratings that I'm seeing wait, that 90 and that 90 don't really equate. And maybe it really doesn't matter and it is trifle, but we'll see.

I'm finding my ratings being crunched between 70 and 100 because I didn't want to be so harsh. I had to actually dislike it instead of saying it's not for me, but I can see some merit. 60 had to have an element I purposely disliked and from there it was how much I hated it.

Now I'm seeing 50 and 60 really need to be used on average albums (I mean that's a 3 star... and a 55 really should be the average I suppose, being a 2.5).

Do you think it was the school grading system you grew up with that led to things being clustered in that range? I can see that having an effect for us American users. Interesting how grading systems are incredibly culturally relative.

I'm slowly trying to move toward the average piece of music being the middle of my rating system (although my average rating certainly will be higher because I usually don't listen to things I think I'll dislike).

P.S. Why would it be 55 and not 50? 50 is halfway between 0 and 100. (BEA's 21-point rating system has a rating that serves as a midpoint, while RYM's 10-point rating system does not.)
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2019 02:13
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I'd like to say I've come to appreciate your efforts to crunch the difference between a 7 and a 7.5 or 7.5 and a 9.5. Up until recently I thought it a bit trifle. But the more music you listen to, the more important it is to decipher. I'm just saying this as I review some of my ratings that I'm seeing wait, that 90 and that 90 don't really equate. And maybe it really doesn't matter and it is trifle, but we'll see.

Do you think it was the school grading system you grew up with that led to things being clustered in that range? I can see that having an effect for us American users. Interesting how grading systems are incredibly culturally relative.

I'm slowly trying to move toward the average piece of music being the middle of my rating system (although my average rating certainly will be higher because I usually don't listen to things I think I'll dislike).

P.S. Why would it be 55 and not 50? 50 is halfway between 0 and 100. (BEA's 21-point rating system has a rating that serves as a midpoint, while RYM's 10-point rating system does not.)

RE: 55... I mistook 55 as the true middle, looking at the star and not actually slowing down and doing math/logic d'oh!

And yeah, maybe that's exactly it (RE: American grading systems). A C is average and that's roughly a 70. Instead of a star system of an average being a 2.5 stars or a 50/100. 50/100 is an F and there is no lower than that in the school system (well there is, but the F doesn't change).

RE: your average system... will that mean over time your "2.5" will change?
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2019 02:31
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
RE: your average system... will that mean over time your "2.5" will change?

Once I have my ratings straightened out, my 2.5/5 and 50/100 will not exactly be an average, but rather a designation for "okay." Meaning, a release that leaves me with neither a significant positive nor a significant negative response, or a mix of both to the degree that it cancels out. Again, technically the true midpoint of the RYM rating scale is 2.75, but I pretend a 0.0 is possible there for convenience of conversion between the websites. I see your ratings don't convert 1:1, which is an interesting approach.
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/15/2019 03:15
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I'd like to say I've come to appreciate your efforts to crunch the difference between a 7 and a 7.5 or 7.5 and a 9.5. (7.5 being a start for a great album as opposed to my start for an average album) Up until recently I thought it a bit trifle. But the more music you listen to, the more important it is to decipher. I'm just saying this as I review some of my ratings that I'm seeing wait, that 90 and that 90 don't really equate. And maybe it really doesn't matter and it is trifle, but we'll see.

Yeah man, you're welcome. I went through a similar ratings progression at one point. Once I started experiencing more and more very powerful and profound masterpieces of extraordinary depth and expression (and comparing to other great works, but of lesser impact and profundity) it became more and more clear to separate out those "degrees of excellence and 'amazing'" -- similar to what you said -- which is what I try to do as meticulously as I can ... though always a work in progress.
  • Visit poster's website