Greatest Paintings of All Time (Incomplete / In Progress)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2017 00:20
  • Post subject:
Man, you guys really like old stuff....

There are some great paintings here, but I'm assuming most of these users don't recognize a lot of these off hand. If it's not too douchey of me, could I request that people post links to any/all images they're sharing?

On a personal note, the painting that got me back into painting was Greg Simkins' It Wanders. Is it the greatest painting of all time? Of course not, but it's a personal favorite.

Also, since most of the stuff you all are posting is older, I'ma mostly share some more recent works by artists I love:

And one old-school painting I dig quite a bit:

edit: see strikethrough

Last edited by craola on 02/24/2017 02:17; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/24/2017 01:24
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
For Cezanne, his most popular are definitely one of his bathers or one of his apple still lifes, but I've always liked Bibemus Quarry (1895), Mont Sainte Victoire seen from Bibemus Quarry, Woods with millstone, Joachim Gasquet, and Man with crossed arms the most.

Yes, Cezanne was great and those works are some of his best. It's been quite a while since I've evaluated them, or any others of his, however. Upon my last, he had some I was strongly considering for my Extended list and I've considered his Bathers for 7.3 before, but I've long wondered if I'm under-rating him due to how significant he was historically. Do you think one or more of those should be on my list, deserving of 7.3+?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/24/2017 01:34
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Re: Klimt choices spot-on ... Thank you, I try -- maybe a bit too hard Smile Certainly one of the most profound artists. Of his masterpieces, every line, dot, shape, gold decoration, etc, seems to have been given the utmost attention and sensual, obsessively ornamental care. Completely in addition to the often erotic nature of his works and the startlingly original visual art and color schemes he produces, it is amazing that one can see and feel such obsession down to the simplest of his lines and forms. I think this is due to his expertise as a draftsman, combined with the sensation he imbued in his works from his startling avant-garde concepts and the sensuality and awe he conveyed into his paintings for nature, beauty and his sexual preoccupations. The Virgin is another one of his that could very well be included in my 7.3+ list (at the very least, in a high spot on the Extended one). Also Adele Bloch Bauer 1.

Correction: I am not sure if I'm familiar with: Kees van Dongen - The Corn Poppy (1919)
Orazio Samacchini - Hercules and Antaeus (1565)

Thank you for all your insights about Lichtenstein and Rothko! I'll give both of them another go with that in mind. And I'll let you know if I end up agreeing with you on them. You've already convinced me that I probably haven't given them attentive enough consideration, however my 7.3+ list is pretty strict so even if I dig them much more than I did before (which, for Lichtenstein, was mainly "amusing, satirical novelty" and, for Rothko "meditative, interesting choice/combinations of color"), they still have a long shot at making it and that doesn't mean your insights weren't valuable. My Extended list (7/10) would be a pretty big jump for both of them from where I considered them before.

Everything you said about Klimt is correct, without a doubt. Very well put. Adele Bloch Bauer 1 is fantastic too obviously, but I far prefer The Kiss, which is notably on your list. I'm also quite fond of The Tree of Life and Lake Attersee. He diverted from his typical style and really nailed the outcomes for both.

Curious simply on your inclusion of Philosophy, Medicine & Jurisprudence. How did you analyze it? Is there any detailed account as to how it was coloured or what materials were used? I've only ever seen the b&w photographs. I've never researched to heavily into the pieces.

Corn Poppy (and Kees van Dongen in general) is just a personal inclusion. One of my favourite portrait artists. His landscapes are pretty nice too though, something along the lines of Van Gogh meets Matisse meets Monet.

Hercules and Antaeus was a favourite of an old art professor I had. I had to go dig up my notes to remember what it was called. I was really floored when I saw it for the first time (in picture), it's extremely forward thinking for the time.

For the record, Lichtenstein's work is amusing and satirical, but I would definitely disagree with calling it novelty. There's a lot going for them. Make sure to look a bit into who Lichtenstein was as a person as well. I like to separate the art from the artist, but I find that in this case it adds a bit of insight. And keep in mind that Rothko's work isn't always meditative. Sometimes it's very harsh and unsettling.

But yeah, cool, all good. I don't think I'll ever make a comprehensive list of my favourite paintings, but I'm definitely hoping to see them one day.

Yes, both The Tree of Life and Lake Attersee are superb too. Re: Philosophy, Medicine and Jurisprudence ... I can only eval it in its black and white format, which I found very large high res pictures in order to do. A very good chance that if the colorized versions existed -- based on Klimt's general mastery of color and ornamentation -- the work would be even higher rated, likely his greatest ever, possibly even 9/10.

Re: Corn Poppy (and Kees van Dongen in general) ... Great, looking forward to checking them out

Re: Hercules and Antaeus ... Yes, I looked at it and it's quite fascinating. Somehow, I've never come across it before. I'll have to eval it further for a rating, but I like what I see.

Re: Lichtenstein ... Ok I'll look into him a bit more. I've never taken the time to learn about him personally.

Re: Rothko ... That's true, his colorations can present dichotomies and such. I'll have to delve a bit further into his work and see what I think of his best ones.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/24/2017 01:42
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
Man, you guys really like old stuff....

There are some great paintings here, but I'm assuming most of these don't recognize a lot of these off hand. If it's not too douchey of me, could I request that people post links to any/all images they're sharing?

On a personal note, the painting that got me back into painting was Greg Simkins' It Wanders. Is it the greatest painting of all time? Of course not, but it's a personal favorite.

Also, since most of the stuff you all are posting is older, I'ma mostly share some more recent works by artists I love:

And one old-school painting I dig quite a bit:

Wow, thank you for all of these! Even though I've viewed several thousands of works up to present day, I still hadn't come across most of these. I'll add them (6 at a time) to my recommendations page. I briefly checked out your links and all of them caught my eye (and imagination!). Not sure how many will make my Extended list or the super strict 7.3+ one, but nevertheless, I enjoyed each of them in their own way.

Of those, my favorites so far were probably: Greg Simkins' It Wanders, Istvan (Etienne) Sandorfi: False Virgin, and William Adolphe Bouguereau: Rêve de printemps (the latter of which I'm familiar).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/24/2017 01:48
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:

Ian Whitmore: Another Place and Time
Ilene Meyer: Shaker
Inka Essenhigh: Minor Sea Gods of Maine
Istvan (Etienne) Sandorfi:
Yana Movchan: Beside the Window
Zhang Kai: Dedicated to David's Rabbit

Only recognized two works on your list. The rest are new to me. Really like the ones I left up^. I'm terribly uneducated about any paintings post 1990-ish Laughing I've found that there have been other forms of art that have been much stronger as of late.

And I can link images to my post, that wouldn't be an issue. Probably should have done that in the first place, but I'm lazy. Just gimme a bit.

Quote:
Re: Philosophy, Medicine and Jurisprudence ... I can only eval it in its black and white format, which I found very large high res pictures in order to do. A very good chance that if the colorized versions existed -- based on Klimt's general mastery of color and ornamentation

And ah, cool cool. Just curious. Such a shame of course.
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2017 02:06
  • Post subject:
Having seen Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel in person last summer, I must say there's truly nothing else in the world like it. Magnificent.

Meanwhile, the Mona Lisa is kinda underwhelming.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2017 02:24
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Of those, my favorites so far were probably: Greg Simkins' It Wanders, Istvan (Etienne) Sandorfi: False Virgin, and William Adolphe Bouguereau: Rêve de printemps (the latter of which I'm familiar).

Slick. If you like those, I strongly recommend checking out their portfolios. Simkins is insanely prolific, and you're sure to dig a number of other pieces he's done. Based on what you like, I imagine he has a few pieces you'd like even more than the one I shared (notably The Pearl Thief).

Check out more of Istvan too. There's something about his style that's rather poetic. He leaves a lot of room for interpretation and imagination.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2017 02:28
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Only recognized two works on your list. The rest are new to me. Really like the ones I left up^. I'm terribly uneducated about any paintings post 1990-ish Laughing I've found that there have been other forms of art that have been much stronger as of late.

I'm glad Inka is on your list. I'm a bit obsessed with her work. She has another piece (I don't know the name of it) that's got a Picasso sort of flair to it that I can't put my finger on.
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/24/2017 02:33
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:
Having seen Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel in person last summer, I must say there's truly nothing else in the world like it. Magnificent.

Meanwhile, the Mona Lisa is kinda underwhelming.

Re: Sistine Chapel, nothing else quite like it ... So true. One can get a good grasp of what it's like in real-life by using the virtual tour I provide the link to, but nothing would beat real-life. On my very short list for greatest work of art ever (of any medium), with Beethoven's 9th, Mahler's 9th, Bach's Mass in B Minor, Verdi's Requiem, Schubert's 9th, Tubke's Peasant's War Panorama and probably Wagner's Tristan and Isolde if I were to revisit it and rate it.

Re: Mona Lisa ... I can understand that. It's unfortunately presented behind thick glass at a distance (due understandably to heavy security), among a gazillion people, crowded and taking selfies and whatnot. It's only amazing if viewed and studied up close, and with an in-depth understanding of Da Vinci, its mythology and the various profundities inherent (but "hidden"/vaguely suggested) in the painting.

Last edited by AfterHours on 02/24/2017 02:40; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/24/2017 02:38
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
Slick. If you like those, I strongly recommend checking out their portfolios. Simkins is insanely prolific, and you're sure to dig a number of other pieces he's done. Based on what you like, I imagine he has a few pieces you'd like even more than the one I shared (notably The Pearl Thief).

Check out more of Istvan too. There's something about his style that's rather poetic. He leaves a lot of room for interpretation and imagination.

Thank you, will do. I forgot to give you props for: Jonas Burgert: Schergen, also, which was probably my favorite of those so far.
  • Visit poster's website