If Numerical Ratings Are Useless Then So Is My Free Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
RadioBallet

• Posted: 05/11/2017 20:28
  • Post subject: Log #26
Artist Series: Radiohead (1/9)

Not gonna bother with an introduction. This is just a good excuse to listen to Radiohead more often

Radiohead - Pablo Honey (1993)

Genre: Alternative Rock

1. You // 78
2. Creep // 94
3. How Do You? // 34
4. Stop Whispering // 66
5. Thinking About You // 82
6. Anyone Can Play Guitar // 69
7. Ripcord // 67
8. Vegetable // 65
9. Prove Yourself // 37
10. I Can't // 36
11. Lurgee // 72
12. Blow Out // 56

Album Rating: 54/100

Alright, I don't think this is a bad album. Pablo Honey seems to get a really bad rep, simply because it's the 'runt' in Radiohead's discography. I on the other hand, don't consider its very existence a sin. Even the greatest artists in the world have growing pains, and it's extremely rare to see an artist burst right into the music scene at their peak. That being said, I don't like this album either. It's very dated, and has a hard time peeking its head above any other generic 90's alternative rock/grunge release. There is one thing that does stand out here though. A lot. It is the very thing that sent Radiohead skyrocketing into the mainstream. No, not the weird artwork that no one seems to question, I'm talking about Creep. It is arguable that without Creep, despite how disliked it is by many die-hard fans and the band itself, Radiohead's story may not be the same (I will explain why once we get to The Bends). Importance aside, Creep is an amazing song for many reasons. One of my favorite things about it, is how the very textures and sounds of the instruments mirror the mood in the lyrics. Whether it was on purpose or not, the guitar in that first verse sounds as shy and insecure as the narrator's character. I also admire the supremely climactic ending, not only because it releases all of the song's built-up energy (mirroring the release of the narrator's suppressed emotion and anguish), but because it is so well done. Thom Yorke's wails, the furious guitars and the relentless drum fills make this the most tangible and emotional moment on the entire album. The only other thing that even comes near this peak is the earnest ballad, Thinking About You. Besides this, many tracks have a couple good things in them, such as the hook and guitar part in Ripcord, Yorke's awesome yell in the climax of You, or Lurgee's pensive, melancholic mood. However, for each of these positive bits there are at least two mediocre blows to the ear. Some tracks simply lack anything remarkable. Frankly, this whole album lacks anything that catches my attention, other than Creep and a few bad tracks to even it out into something I'm definitely indifferent about.
RadioBallet

• Posted: 05/13/2017 14:41
  • Post subject: Log #27
Artist Series: Radiohead (2/9)

Radiohead -The Bends (1995)

1. Planet Telex // 83
2. The Bends // 85
3. High and Dry // 86
4. Fake Plastic Trees // 87
5. Bones // 70
6. (Nice Dream) // 87
7. Just // 87
8. My Iron Lung // 85
9. Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was // 84
10. Black Star // 86
11. Sulk // 56
12. Street Spirit (Fade Out) // 98

Album Rating: 80/100

You know where diamonds come from? Believe it or not, those beautiful things used to be a bunch of coal and soot. Diamond is actually just carbon, arranged differently. What does this have to do with Radiohead? Well, for a piece of coal to turn into diamond, it needs immense pressure and heat, the kind you experience way below the surface of the Earth, where diamonds pop up. Though this analogy may be overused, it's exactly how I would describe Radiohead's musical transition into maturity. Though their first album was quite dismissable, the success of Creep shot them so high up that the pressure to follow up became great enough to bring out their creative genius. Fittingly, this album's name brings about another analogy, as the bends, a.k.a. diving sickness, is an illness that occurs when scuba divers rise too quickly from the depths, producing all sorts of disturbing symptoms. Now, I do not rate this album as highly as many others would. I think it hasn't aged very well. Not to a severe degree, but enough for me to say that this doesn't feel fresh and exciting, though I'm sure it did back in '95. That aside, the gap in the songwriting and production quality between Pablo Honey and The Bends is absolutely ridiculous. Were it not for Thom Yorke's voice, I would believe it if I was told that the two projects were made by different artists. As soon as the echoed guitar riff in Planet Telex kicks in, you know you're in for something far beyond the basic unambitious rock of Radiohead's debut effort. Song structures and atmospheres feel far more developed, as does the songwriting, with greatly improved and matured lyricism. I'd like to talk specifically about Street Spirit, perhaps Radiohead's second masterpiece. This track has an incredibly dismal tone to it. It feels like the grim acceptance of hopelessness. It also doesn't seem to age, unlike the rest of the album, showcasing the timelessness that Radiohead would achieve in future releases. It's really the greatest thing about this album, and an indicator of both Radiohead's musical capability and of things to come.
RadioBallet

• Posted: 05/13/2017 15:43
  • Post subject: Log #28
Artist Series: Soda Stereo (4/7)

Soda Stereo - Doble Vida [Double Life] (1988)

Genre: Pop Rock // New Wave

1. Picnic en el 4º B // 83
2. En la Ciudad de la Furia // 97
3. Lo que Sangra (La Cúpula) // 82
4. En el Borde // 38
5. Languis // 81
6. Dia Común - Doble Vida // 76
7. Corazón Delator // 87
8. El Ritmo de tus Ojos // 82
9. Terapia de Amor Intensiva // 80

Album Rating: 78/100

If Nada Personal was an 80's nightmare, then this is an 80's wonderland. I mean, this is ridiculously 80's. Think of an 80's new wave stereotype and you will probably find it here somewhere. Still, as terribly dated as this may be, it goes to show that something outdated can still be good. This album is an absolute celebration, to the point where the festive 80's horns, synths, drums and Cerati's voice sort of add to the feel of it. It's a great time capsule album; it'll take you straight to an 80's bloc party. It's not that simple though. Much like Cuando Pase el Temblor in Nada Personal, En la Ciudad de la Furia [In the City of Fury] sticks out in the track listing as a clear masterpiece. This flight through a rainy, grayscale Buenos Aires night is a gothic, slow-burning masterclass on subdued power. A power repressed through the shady noir fantasy created by intricate guitar-work, moody drums, sturdy bass and classy vocal delivery. If you were to ask me, I'd put this among the greatest new wave songs out there. Aside from this track, this is a fun album, which would be great if it weren't for the supremely cringe-worthy En el Borde [On the Edge]. I really don't wanna talk about that track. Anyway, Soda's conventional pop days are now over. The following three albums would make them pioneers of the Latin music scene, and Spanish rock legends.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/13/2017 17:04
  • Post subject: Re: Log #26
RadioBallet wrote:
Artist Series: Radiohead (1/9)

Not gonna bother with an introduction. This is just a good excuse to listen to Radiohead more often

Radiohead - Pablo Honey (1993)

1. You // 78
2. Creep // 94
3. How Do You? // 34
4. Stop Whispering // 66
5. Thinking About You // 82
6. Anyone Can Play Guitar // 69
7. Ripcord // 67
8. Vegetable // 65
9. Prove Yourself // 37
10. I Can't // 36
11. Lurgee // 72
12. Blow Out // 56

Album Rating: 54/100

Alright, I don't think this is a bad album. Pablo Honey seems to get a really bad rep, simply because it's the 'runt' in Radiohead's discography. I on the other hand, don't consider its very existence a sin. Even the greatest artists in the world have growing pains, and it's extremely rare to see an artist burst right into the music scene at their peak. That being said, I don't like this album either. It's very dated, and has a hard time peeking its head above any other generic 90's alternative rock/grunge release. There is one thing that does stand out here though. A lot. It is the very thing that sent Radiohead skyrocketing into the mainstream. No, not the weird artwork that no one seems to question, I'm talking about Creep. It is arguable that without Creep, despite how disliked it is by many die-hard fans and the band itself, Radiohead's story may not be the same (I will explain why once we get to The Bends). Importance aside, Creep is an amazing song for many reasons. One of my favorite things about it, is how the very textures and sounds of the instruments mirror the mood in the lyrics. Whether it was on purpose or not, the guitar in that first verse sounds as shy and insecure as the narrator's character. I also admire the supremely climactic ending, not only because it releases all of the song's built-up energy (mirroring the release of the narrator's suppressed emotion and anguish), but because it is so well done. Thom Yorke's wails, the furious guitars and the relentless drum fills make this the most tangible and emotional moment on the entire album. The only other thing that even comes near this peak is the earnest ballad, Thinking About You. Besides this, many tracks have a couple good things in them, such as the hook and guitar part in Ripcord, Yorke's awesome yell in the climax of You, or Lurgee's pensive, melancholic mood. However, for each of these positive bits there are at least two mediocre blows to the ear. Some tracks simply lack anything remarkable. Frankly, this whole album lacks anything that catches my attention, other than Creep and a few bad tracks to even it out into something I'm definitely indifferent about.

I don't completely agree: if Radiohead wouldn't have grown into, well... Radiohead, this album would still have been regarded as a staple album of the 1990's which means still very good. Creep is indeed a great track but to me there's many others like especially Ripcord but also Anyone Can Play Guitar, How Do You, Stop Whispering, Vegetable, Prove Yourself, I Can't and Blow Out.
I know I'm a guitar lover and The Bends and OK Computer are beyond competition but I would even dare to say that this is their third best album (although I'm not completely sure myself).
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

• Posted: 05/17/2017 19:01
  • Post subject: Update #1
Shutting Down the Journal

Alright, here's the thing everyone. It's time for me to go. Not forever, I will be gone for the following two years (I know, that's a long time). Before I explain why, I'd like to ask everyone to PLEASE leave religion out of this. It's not the point. I just think it would be better to leave with an explanation than disappear out of the blue. Anyway, I have chosen to serve as a missionary for my church for the following 2 years. I will be proselyting in the southern half of Chile, and I leave in early July. Again, let's leave religion out of this. So here's what's going to happen: I was planning on finishing the Soda Stereo and Radiohead series, but lately I've been feeling the need to focus on other things in preparation for my mission. Right now, it seems that I will have to leave it as it is. For those of you awaiting the last 3 albums in the Soda Stereo series, I'd recommend you listen to those releases and finish it yourself, as those last 3 are excellent records. I'm very sorry to be leaving like this. I enjoyed having this hobby, even though I knew it would only last a little while. Once I return in the Summer of 2019, I'd like to begin a brand new, greatly improved and polished journal as I rebuild my account from scratch. I'd like to thank everyone for the support this received. I had an amazing time. Here's hoping that the following two years bring some great music along with them.

Until next time,
RadioBallet

If any of you have questions, I'd be happy to answer through PM.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2017 23:15
  • Post subject: Re: Update #1
RadioBallet wrote:
Shutting Down the Journal

Alright, here's the thing everyone. It's time for me to go. Not forever, I will be gone for the following two years (I know, that's a long time). Before I explain why, I'd like to ask everyone to PLEASE leave religion out of this. It's not the point. I just think it would be better to leave with an explanation than disappear out of the blue. Anyway, I have chosen to serve as a missionary for my church for the following 2 years. I will be proselyting in the southern half of Chile, and I leave in early July. Again, let's leave religion out of this. So here's what's going to happen: I was planning on finishing the Soda Stereo and Radiohead series, but lately I've been feeling the need to focus on other things in preparation for my mission. Right now, it seems that I will have to leave it as it is. For those of you awaiting the last 3 albums in the Soda Stereo series, I'd recommend you listen to those releases and finish it yourself, as those last 3 are excellent records. I'm very sorry to be leaving like this. I enjoyed having this hobby, even though I knew it would only last a little while. Once I return in the Summer of 2019, I'd like to begin a brand new, greatly improved and polished journal as I rebuild my account from scratch. I'd like to thank everyone for the support this received. I had an amazing time. Here's hoping that the following two years bring some great music along with them.

Until next time,
RadioBallet

If any of you have questions, I'd be happy to answer through PM.

Good luck!!! Sounds like quite the adventure! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website