POLL: Greatest Works of Art of All Time?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/26/2017 02:01
  • Post subject: POLL: Greatest Works of Art of All Time?
IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE ENSURE YOU READ THE ENTIRE OP BEFORE SUBMITTING. PLEASE OBSERVE THE FORMAT REQUESTED.

Okay, ready for a poll that may very well drive you hair-pulling, thumb-twiddling, list-making batty?

Please submit what you feel are the Top 50 Greatest Works of Art of All Time. I am running this poll on talkclassical.com also: http://www.talkclassical.com/48673-poll...s-art.html ... If you are a member of both sites, please make only one submission.

You can use any qualitative criteria you like, whether so-called "best" or "favorite", or a mix of the two, etc. Personally, for my selections they are one and the same, but some people view them separately, so I'm totally fine with you giving a submission with your choice of either, or with consideration to both points-of-view. Just please don't be insincere with your actual submission. I am curious to see what we come up with, even if it will likely lean towards Classical music more than other mediums. This probability is also why I felt this most belonged in the Classical Music forum.

If you don't want to submit a full list of 50, you are welcome to submit less (but no less than 10). Just know that your submission will be weighted towards the final results based on how many entries it has. Also, the higher the work is ranked on your list, the more points will be awarded to it in the final tally, so please note that the order you submit them in matters towards the overall outcome.

As to be an effective poll at all, there still needs to be some parameters, the following forms of Art may be included, and no others:

Classical Music Works
Rock Albums
Jazz Albums
Songs (that were not part of a non-compilation album)
Films
TV Shows
Theater
Paintings (or drawings too)
Other Visual Art Works, including Installations
Sculpture
Architecture
Literature (including any fiction or non-fiction, including comics)
Poetry (Single Poems, or in the case of many interrelated, epic poems, one would include the entire work)
Video Games

For Classical Music, only whole works as composed/published by the composer, may be submitted. For instance, please do not submit single movements, of a whole multi-movement Classical Work. Single songs or movements or cantatas, etc, are fine in cases where they do constitute the entire work released by the artist.

For Rock/Jazz or non-Classical music submissions, please submit only whole albums. Official EPs are fine as long as they weren't also part of a full-length album before or later. No compilations or bootlegs or otherwise "unofficial" releases. Officially released Live albums are fine. Singles or single songs are fine, unless they were included on an official non-compilation album, (in which case the whole album would be submitted).

For Films, they are separate entries based on release date. No parts of the film may be submitted on their own, just the whole film. You may make special mention of an editor or cinematographer or actor, etc, if you'd like, but only the film as a single, whole work will be included in the results. If the film has multiple parts, they must have all been released together at the same time to count as one entry. Therefore, submissions such as The Godfather, Parts I-III would not be a single entry, but each Part would be individual.

For TV shows, there are no limits in terms of seasons per entry. When you choose a show, you may distinguish which season(s) if you like, but I will be including all such submissions under the same selection, so it won't matter towards the final results.

For Theater, you are simply choosing the original theatrical work. You may choose any form of theater (including dance). You may make mention of specific performances if you'd like, but they will all be included under the original theatrical work and artist, unless a newer version is not just an updated copy but a uniquely new version.

For Paintings/Drawing/Visual Art, ensure you choose the whole work, considered as such by the artist. For instance, with a triptych one would choose the whole work, not just a single panel. For instance, with Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel, it would be both the Ceiling and The Last Judgment as a single, whole entry, not just one or the other, or "The Creation of Adam" alone.

For Sculpture, it is simply the whole work as distinguished by the artist, distinct from the room or hall or Church, etc, that it is presented in, which would need a separate, architectural entry to be included. If such architecture was also produced as part of the sculpture such as inclusive of it or an extension of its themes, then there is a possibility for it to all be included as one work. Just double check with me first.

For Literature, any fiction or non-fiction book is allowed. Any comic book or strip. For comic strips I am not going to get too strict about separating it "by strip" or what-have-you, just because I think this gets too complicated. If someone submits them as such, the vote will still go all to a single entry (such as "Peanuts" or "Garfield"). Any written thesis or philosophy, etc, is fine, as long as it is in its final form from the author -- just include the whole work, only broken up by when it was released by the author. Any poem is allowed, as long as it is one work as distinguished by the artist. For very large poems, one would include the whole work (such as Dante's Divine Comedy or Milton's Paradise Lost).

For Video Games, any can count, on any system, portable or home, arcade, etc. Video games almost always have a sense of visual art and cinema to them, so it's difficult to argue against them, as they have become an increasingly legitimate art form.

Also, for any works that have multiple versions (Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, Bruckner's 8th Symphony, etc), you do not need to distinguish which (unless you want to), as all versions will be included under the same entry in the final results. Only one will be allowed per list of entries (not multiple entries of different versions of the same work).

Essentially, what it comes down to is what the artist considered to be the whole work upon completion, even if its parts were created over an unusually long period or at entirely separate times (such as Bach's Mass in B Minor or Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel).

If you have any questions as to qualification of a particular work, feel free to ask me here in the forum.

This is a poll where you simply use the thread to post your list and I will tally the results. I will announce a deadline at some point, and will give you at least a couple weeks notice when I do.

One last thing. Please submit your entries as follows so that it is as user friendly as possible for me to copy, paste and tally:

Title - Artist (Year of Completion)
Ex: Symphony No. 9 in D Minor "Choral" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1824)

Good luck on coming up with your list without driving yourself a little crazy.

Last edited by AfterHours on 04/29/2017 09:36; edited 4 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/26/2017 02:05
  • Post subject:
My submission:

1. Sistine Chapel (Ceiling & The Last Judgement) - Michelangelo Buonarroti (1512; 1541)
2. Symphony No. 9 in D Minor "Choral" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1824)
3. Symphony No. 9 in D Major - Gustav Mahler (1910)
4. Mass in B Minor - Johann Sebastian Bach (1749)
5. Peasants' War Panorama - Werner Tubke (1987) [aka, "Early Bourgeois Revolution in Germany"]
6. Requiem - Guisseppe Verdi (1874)
7. Symphony No. 9 in C Major "The Great" - Franz Schubert (1826)
8. Tristan und Isolde - Richard Wagner (1859)
9. Symphony No. 15 in A Major - Dmitri Shostakovich (1971)
10. The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus (1963)
11. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band (1969)
12. Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt (1974)
13. String Quartet No. 15 in A Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1825)
14. Citizen Kane - Orson Welles (1941)
15. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane (1964)
16. Faust - Faust (1971)
17. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground (1967)
18. String Quartet No. 14 in C-sharp Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1826)
19. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison (1968)
20. Parable of Arable Land - Red Crayola (1967)
21. Symphony No. 5 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1808)
22. Symphony No. 4 in E Minor - Johannes Brahms (1884)
23. The Doors - The Doors (1967)
24. Unit Structures - Cecil Taylor (1966)
25. Fidelio – Ludwig van Beethoven (1805-1814)
26. Don Giovanni – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1787)
27. Der Ring des Nibelungen – Richard Wagner (1876)
28. Metropolis - Fritz Lang (1927) ["The Complete Metropolis", 147 minutes]
29. Lorca - Tim Buckley (1970)
30. Ascension - John Coltrane (1965)
31. The Garden of Earthly Delights - Hieronymus Bosch (circa 1500)
32. Escalator Over The Hill - Carla Bley (1971)
33. Twin Infinitives - Royal Trux (1990)
34. String Quintet in C Major - Franz Schubert (1828)
35. Glagolitic Mass - Leos Janacek (1926)
36. Messiah – Georg Handel (1741)
37. St. Matthew Passion – Johann Sebastian Bach (1727)
38. Missa Solemnis – Ludwig van Beethoven (1823)
39. Symphony No. 9 in E Minor "From the New World" - Antonin Dvorak (1893)
40. Desertshore - Nico (1970)
41. Irrlicht - Klaus Schulze (1972)
42. The Jazz Composer's Orchestra - Michael Mantler (1968)
43. Variations in Dream-time - Anthony Davis (1982)
44. Piano Sonata No. 32 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1822)
45. Symphonie Fantastique - Hector Berlioz (1830)
46. Symphony No. 41 in C Major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1788)
47. Piano Concerto No. 21 in C Major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1785)
48. Violin Concerto in D Major - Johannes Brahms (1878)
49. Ein Deutsches Requiem - Johannes Brahms (1868)
50. Symphony No. 5 - Gustav Mahler (1902)

NOTE: Some of my order and selections shows slight changes to my lists already posted on this site, simply because those haven't been fully updated yet. Also, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel, ranked very high on my most recent Rock/Jazz chart, is a wild card, and may still be included here. I need to revisit it first, to be sure, and will change my list accordingly if it infact still seems worthy enough.

NOTE #2: I limited my selections to Classical, Rock, Jazz, Film and Paintings because I have not extensively assimilated great literature/poetry or other forms enough to make confident selections. For instance, it is probable various works by Shakespeare, Dante, T.S. Eliot, Kafka, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, etc, deserve strong consideration, but perhaps another time, another list, another poll.
  • Visit poster's website
RichardSauce

• Posted: 04/26/2017 02:20
  • Post subject:
3. The bowl I filled with beer bottle caps and stuck a spoon in, titled "Drinking your breakfast" or alternatively "Breakfast of Alcoholics"

2. The cool full wall collage of album art I made in my first apartment.

1. The crayon drawing I did in first grade of the sun shining over a happy family outside a red house. The sun wore shades to signify that it was hot, but also cool.

Last edited by RichardSauce on 04/26/2017 02:21; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2017 02:21
  • Post subject:
I like this idea
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/26/2017 02:33
  • Post subject:
RichardSauce wrote:
3. The bowl I filled with beer bottle caps and stuck a spoon in, titled "Drinking your breakfast" or alternatively "Breakfast of Alcoholics"

2. The cool full wall collage of album art I made in my first apartment.

1. The crayon drawing I did in first grade of the sun shining over a happy family outside a red house. The sun wore shades to signify that it was hot, but also cool.

Sounds legit. I'll get right on submitting this one, and probably will add extra weight to it in the final tally Liar

Also, thank you for reading the OP Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/26/2017 02:35
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
I like this idea

Me too, it's challenging and fun to come up with. Even if the results on this site lean towards Rock music, I'm totally okay with it. As I said, I am using talkclassical too, and may even add another site or two into the overall mix.
  • Visit poster's website
Greendonut227

Japan

• Posted: 04/26/2017 12:39
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Me too, it's challenging and fun to come up with. Even if the results on this site lean towards Rock music, I'm totally okay with it. As I said, I am using talkclassical too, and may even add another site or two into the overall mix.

Sounds fun! I'll make a list soon.
  • Visit poster's website
O.T.

Germany

• Posted: 04/26/2017 14:29
  • Post subject: List
I once stood I the cave of Lascaux, or better: in it's copy. What I saw the felt impressed me deeply, like nothing else I ever saw thinking of the people making the biggest effort to create overwhelming beauty in the most insecure circumstances, no safety no security that there will be enough food to eat, no villages, no roads only an ocean of trees which waves were made of stone.

Is this the measure: The biggest astonishment? Or that you feel something bigger than life? Or is the best which provided the biggest pleasure?
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2017 16:43
  • Post subject:
Artforms are all over the map here, but I'm pitching in for something like this:

Adrian Cox: Bather
Aleksander Petrov: The Old Man and the Sea
Aleksandr Ptushko: Skazka o rybake i rybke
Bela Bartok: The Wooden Prince
Boards of Canada: Twoism
Billie Holiday: Strange Fruit
Bjork: Vespertine
The Blue Nile: A Walk Across the Rooftops
Buddy Wakefield: Hurling Crowbirds at Mockingbars
Burial: Untrue
Charles Mingus: The Black Saint and Sinner Lady
Charles Wright: Black Zodiac
Cocteau Twins: Blue Bell Knoll
Dave McKean: MirrorMask
Dmitry Bilozerchev: 1987 World Championships
Francis Bacon: Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion
Greg Simkins: Outside
Ingmar Bergman: Det sjunde inseglet
Inka Essenhigh: Minor Sea Gods of Maine
Isao Takahata: Princess Kaguya
Jacques-Louis David: Le Serment des Horaces
James Gleeson: Perhaps Les Trois Sauvages
Jim Henson: The Dark Crystal
John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
LAIKA: Coraline
Lev Atamanov: Alenkiy tsvetochek
Li Kunwu / Philippe Otie: A Chinese Life
Makoto Shinkai: 5 Centimeters per Second
Michael Ende: The Neverending Story
Miles Davis: In A Silent Way
Neil Gaiman / Dave McKean: Crazy Hair
Olivier Messiaen: Turangalila Symphonie
Ornette Coleman: The Shape of Jazz to Come
Oval: Systemisch
Panabrite: Sub-Aquatic Meditations
Radiohead: Amnesiac
René Laloux: La Planète sauvage
Ridley Scott: Blade Runner
Robyn Yannoukos: Africa Parting
Ron Fricke: Baraka
Rudyard Kipling: If
Shaun Tan: The Rabits
Slowdive: Souvlaki
Tarsem Singh: The Fall
Víctor Erice: The Spirit of the Beehive
Vincent Peone: The Sea is Blue
Walt Disney: Fantasia
Will Vinton: The Adventures of Mark Twain
Winsor McCay: Little Nemo in Slumberland
Xiaolong Zheng: Empresses in the Palace
AtkinL44

• Posted: 04/26/2017 17:17
  • Post subject: My List
1. David - Michelangelo
2. Sistine Chapel
3. Las Meninas - Diego Velasquez (as you can see, I'm a little too obsessed with art history).
4. Lost in Translation (the film).
5. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye
6. OK Computer - Radiohead
7. Geurnica - Picasso
8. A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - Seurat
9. Pan's Labyrinth
10. The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
  • Visit poster's website