nationality and music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Wombi

• Posted: 06/07/2011 03:46
  • Post subject:
also Robyn is a great sweedish export (also singing in english)
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2011 03:55
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
also Robyn is a great sweedish export (also singing in english)

She is apparently extremely hot right now and a friend of mine who usually listens to Maiden, Metallica and Helloween asked me if I had heard the new album. I heard her early stuff and did not like though so I never bothered with anything after that.

Other Swedish exports include:
- Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede (in Sweden an almost unknown band name, the song is known as by Björn Skifs who was the lead singer of that band and has made a career out of targetting middle aged women, much like Rod Stewart or Barry Manilow).
- The Final Countdown by Europe which is still played as a sports anthem all over the world. The song (and the band) was pretty mediocre.

To get back to the discussion though, if someone introduced me to Swedish music by playing the most popular stuff I would most likely say "Swedish music stinks'. I have tried finding music in other languages but with that knowledge in mind it isn't easy to know where to start looking.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 06/07/2011 04:06
  • Post subject:
Swedish metal!! Bands like Opeth, Falconer, Evergrey, Dream Evil, Axenstar, Morgana Lefay, are all good stuff, and of course Yngwie Malmsteen.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2011 04:38
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Swedish metal!! Bands like Opeth, Falconer, Evergrey, Dream Evil, Axenstar, Morgana Lefay, are all good stuff, and of course Yngwie Malmsteen.

I've always found that Yngwie, while technically skilled, is nothing much but a guitar masturbist.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/07/2011 06:15
  • Post subject:
In regards to language being a barrier for acceptance, I found that I have listened to more non-English music over the past few years, possbile my wife's influence.

One album that stands out is Gurrumul by Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu. He sings in the Yolngu language, which is only 1 of hundreds of indigenous Australian dialects and languages. It is a beautiful album and somewhat peaceful at times. He received huge acclaim for his debut record and even scored the front of Rolling Stone.

• Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/07/2011 16:15
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
itsit wrote:
International bands don't really get famous unless they use english vocals. Take Mariah carey, she used to release french only albums and only found fame in her homeland Canada. Se started singing in English and bam, one of the biggest selling musical artists in the world.

Mariah Carey isn't Canadian, nor do I believe speaks French.....

Besides, 95% of Canadians speak English anyways.

As for the topic, I do believe that I'm missing out on some awesome Russian, Chinese or Egyptian band out there cause of lack of publicity in other countries. I know a few americans who have never heard of Alanis Morissette, and she's huge here. As some people have said though, language is a key factor. Most bands that I like from less-musically-known countries are primarily english speaking, except for Sigur Ros I guess.

Just to name a few popular ones that I know/listen to -
Phoenix (France)
Bjork (Iceland)
Air (France)
Sigur Ros (Iceland)
Soulfly (Brazil)
Can (Germany)
Nico (Germany)
Jimmy Cliff (Jamaica)
Royksopp (Norway)
De Kift (Netherlands)

and that's about all I can think of.....Mostly European.

Ah! that;s who I meant, Celine Dion. I dunno, they both seem equally boring to me.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 06/07/2011 16:29
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
In regards to language being a barrier for acceptance, I found that I have listened to more non-English music over the past few years, possbile my wife's influence.

One album that stands out is Gurrumul by Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu. He sings in the Yolngu language, which is only 1 of hundreds of indigenous Australian dialects and languages. It is a beautiful album and somewhat peaceful at times. He received huge acclaim for his debut record and even scored the front of Rolling Stone.

I really have to listen to him, thanks for the reminder.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/07/2011 19:30
  • Post subject:
it is interesting how English-speaking music crosses over into foreign language mainstream and not vice versa. For example, the Spanish album chart always features quite a few English language albums. I've linked to this week's chart just as an example: http://promusicae.es/files/listassemana...1.2011.pdf

I'm not vouching for the quality of any of these albums as it's just an ordinary week, it's just an observation that there is still a strong influence from US/UK on the Spanish market and no doubt other countries are similar.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 06/07/2011 20:59
  • Post subject:
let's be honest, the domination of english speaking artist is simply the domination of the american music (rock, jazz, house, Hip-Hop, disco, funk, R&B...), and the countries that adopted this "amercian music" which became since international. what the british did brilghtly (Beatles and so on....), and then the other english speaking countries, and since, artists singing in English in non english speaking countires (ABBA, Scorpion, Daft Punk, Bjork).

so if you wanna succced : first choose an American style of music, then sing in english, and it would be better with an american accent.

So maybe with the rise of China we will see some chinese albums in the BEA's top 100... okay the 1000 then Confused
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/07/2011 21:25
  • Post subject:
I just remembered sth. You guys remember that Numa Numa song? Well that one wasn't in english but still very popular..
So what do you guys reckon is the reason that some non-english artists (or at least songs) can become so popular worldwide while most of the others can't?
  • Visit poster's website