Help Wanted: Data Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Jameth




United States

  • #111
  • Posted: 05/24/2019 06:31
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
First, I'd like to volunteer to help, if there isn't some minimum level to qualify. I could use the points.

Second, I added a new album to my chart earlier tonight and have been locked out of it. I was editing the information on my phone, and after quickly realizing that the track titles were unwieldy, saved what I had entered so I could move to my laptop. Bam, locked out. Maybe this is the same issue some of the other people who left albums incomplete had - it seems odd that it locks so quickly. Maybe there should be an option to mark an album as "complete"?

Here's the album in question:


The Segovia Collection (Box Set) by Andrés Segovia
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
albummaster
Janitor


Gender: Male
Location: Spain
Site Admin

  • #112
  • Posted: 05/24/2019 07:08
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Jameth wrote:
First, I'd like to volunteer to help, if there isn't some minimum level to qualify. I could use the points.

Second, I added a new album to my chart earlier tonight and have been locked out of it. I was editing the information on my phone, and after quickly realizing that the track titles were unwieldy, saved what I had entered so I could move to my laptop. Bam, locked out. Maybe this is the same issue some of the other people who left albums incomplete had - it seems odd that it locks so quickly. Maybe there should be an option to mark an album as "complete"?

Here's the album in question:


The Segovia Collection (Box Set) by Andrés Segovia


Thanks for reporting the issue. Looks like a fix needs to be made to prevent new users being locked out of editing albums they've added. The issue here is that the track listing seemed valid (even though only some of the tracks were added). I think a solution may be to increase the time limit to allow edits to be performed over a longer period. (I often as well perform edits over a number of sessions). FWIW, all tracks have now been added to this album.
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Jameth




United States

  • #113
  • Posted: 05/24/2019 07:48
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
albummaster wrote:
Jameth wrote:
First, I'd like to volunteer to help, if there isn't some minimum level to qualify. I could use the points.

Second, I added a new album to my chart earlier tonight and have been locked out of it. I was editing the information on my phone, and after quickly realizing that the track titles were unwieldy, saved what I had entered so I could move to my laptop. Bam, locked out. Maybe this is the same issue some of the other people who left albums incomplete had - it seems odd that it locks so quickly. Maybe there should be an option to mark an album as "complete"?

Here's the album in question:


The Segovia Collection (Box Set) by Andrés Segovia


Thanks for reporting the issue. Looks like a fix needs to be made to prevent new users being locked out of editing albums they've added. The issue here is that the track listing seemed valid (even though only some of the tracks were added). I think a solution may be to increase the time limit to allow edits to be performed over a longer period. (I often as well perform edits over a number of sessions). FWIW, all tracks have now been added to this album.


Much appreciated!

Do higher level users not get locked out?
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
albummaster
Janitor


Gender: Male
Location: Spain
Site Admin

  • #114
  • Posted: 05/24/2019 08:09
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Jameth wrote:
Do higher level users not get locked out?

Higher level users can edit pretty much edit anything (including items that have already been moderated). New users start off only being able to edit unmoderated items (items that have not yet been moderated, or items that have missing data). Once you have reached 1,000 edits (which doesn't take that long), you are no longer considered a new user.
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Jameth




United States

  • #115
  • Posted: 06/17/2019 00:54
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Okay, so I’ve uploaded a duplicate artist and album to the site:

Maleem Mahmoud Ghania


Colours Of The Night by Maleem Mahmoud Ghania

These were already uploaded here:

Mahmoud Guinia


Colours Of The Night by Mahmoud Guinia

These are spelled different, and I chose the spelling I did because the artist also appears here:

Maleem Mahmoud Ghania & Pharoah Sanders

So, there are a number of ways that this artist’s name is spelled, and the Admin Artist Help page doesn’t seem to cover these occurrences. Is there a way to tie different names for a single artist together?
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
albummaster
Janitor


Gender: Male
Location: Spain
Site Admin

  • #116
  • Posted: 06/17/2019 09:11
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Jameth wrote:
So, there are a number of ways that this artist’s name is spelled, and the Admin Artist Help page doesn’t seem to cover these occurrences. Is there a way to tie different names for a single artist together?

If the spelling of an artist is different in-between releases, this is currently handled using 'child' artists (a child act is created for each variation) and all spelling variations and aliases can then be viewed from the parent artist's page. The parent artist would normally be the true name of the artist (or the current name of the artist in the case of renames), with aliases/spelling variations flagged as children. BEA could/should definitely be made a bit clearer and the help text should be updated and a site update is currently in the works to allow child acts to be flagged as either an alias (e.g. Aphex Twin, AFX, Caustic Window) or just a spelling variation (as is the case with the above). (There are similar issues with other artists e.g. Fela Kuti, Captain Beefheart With/And The/His Magic Band etc which would benefit from this extra clarity. People generally want to see albums correctly attributed but without losing the ability for the primary artist to gain the credit, and doing things in this way allows this to happen).
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
PurpleHazel




United States

  • #117
  • Posted: 06/17/2019 10:40
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Can users who are Data Moderators make a variant artist the "child" of the "parent" artist and vice versa? I've accumulated a list of mostly jazz artists who need this moderation.
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
albummaster
Janitor


Gender: Male
Location: Spain
Site Admin

  • #118
  • Posted: 06/17/2019 13:41
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
PurpleHazel wrote:
Can users who are Data Moderators make a variant artist the "child" of the "parent" artist and vice versa? I've accumulated a list of mostly jazz artists who need this moderation.

At the moment, these need to be reported as a data correction and they can then be updated (the user interface will be updated allow data moderators to do this, but the functionality doesn't exist at the moment).
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Hayden




Location: CDMX
Canada

  • #119
  • Posted: 06/17/2019 14:41
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Jameth wrote:
Okay, so I’ve uploaded a duplicate artist and album to the site:

Maleem Mahmoud Ghania


Colours Of The Night by Maleem Mahmoud Ghania

These were already uploaded here:

Mahmoud Guinia


Colours Of The Night by Mahmoud Guinia

These are spelled different, and I chose the spelling I did because the artist also appears here:

Maleem Mahmoud Ghania & Pharoah Sanders

So, there are a number of ways that this artist’s name is spelled, and the Admin Artist Help page doesn’t seem to cover these occurrences. Is there a way to tie different names for a single artist together?


Jameth, Maleem is an honorific (think Sir or Ustad or Duke), which I don't believe BEA includes in artist names. Due to his name translation from Arabic, it's more phonetic than anything else, which has resulted in different spellings. Mahmoud translates easily, but his last name doesn't. If that clears anything up.
_________________

The List!
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Jameth




United States

  • #120
  • Posted: 06/17/2019 16:10
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Hayden wrote:

Jameth, Maleem is an honorific (think Sir or Ustad or Duke), which I don't believe BEA includes in artist names. Due to his name translation from Arabic, it's more phonetic than anything else, which has resulted in different spellings. Mahmoud translates easily, but his last name doesn't. If that clears anything up.


It sure does...I thought it was interesting that all his brothers were named Maleem, too. Smile I probably should have figured that out... d'oh!
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Data Moderation Romanelli Suggestions
New albums/data moderation Norman Bates Suggestions
If you could be anything you wanted... Guest Lounge
Most Wanted Making Ofs DarkSideOfTheComputer Music
[ Poll ] CLOSED - 750: Round 2: Skelethon v. A... Precedent Games

 
Back to Top