Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/01/2017 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2371): The Wild, The Innocent & The E
Today's album of the day

The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle by Bruce Springsteen (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1973.
Overall rank: 483
Average rating: 79/100 (from 433 votes).

Tracks:
1. The E Street Shuffle
2. 4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
3. Kitty's Back
4. Wild Billy's Circus Story
5. Incident On 57th Street
6. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
7. New York City Serenade

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2017 00:38
  • Post subject:
This album is ultimately better than you think it is.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2017 03:10
  • Post subject:
I could never decide who is the Absolute Most Over-rated Artist. U2 or Bruce Springsteen?? Its so hard to decide. And throw Radiohead into the mix and its even MORE difficult!!! Sheesh!!
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 06/02/2017 09:12
  • Post subject:
Nice record, definitely short of the 'greats', but a lot of fun.

bobbyb5 wrote:
I could never decide who is the Absolute Most Over-rated Artist. U2 or Bruce Springsteen?? Its so hard to decide. And throw Radiohead into the mix and its even MORE difficult!!! Sheesh!!

Never really understood the backlash to Bruce. I get that he plays stadiums, so he's lost the 'cool' factor, but he's no-fuss solid song-writer, with a talented band behind him.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2017 09:48
  • Post subject:
No, its not because hes not cool or plays stadiums. It has nothing to do with backlash or mainstream success. In fact, the era he began in was the very best time for mainstream rock. I usually like it. Its that i think his music isnt particularly good. Or his writing. His songs just never seem to kick in for me. With some big exceptions. Like Badlands, 2 or 3 songs from Born in the U.S.A., Tunnel of Love. But for a 40 year career, thats not many. Mostly what i hear is someone stressing and straining to be "important" or " authentic". As if that has anything to do with music. Its just my taste tho. I hate that sort of thing in rock. Where everything is a grand statement and its all grand gestures. Just my particular taste tho.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2017 11:08
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
No, its not because hes not cool or plays stadiums. It has nothing to do with backlash or mainstream success. In fact, the era he began in was the very best time for mainstream rock. I usually like it. Its that i think his music isnt particularly good. Or his writing. His songs just never seem to kick in for me. With some big exceptions. Like Badlands, 2 or 3 songs from Born in the U.S.A., Tunnel of Love. But for a 40 year career, thats not many. Mostly what i hear is someone stressing and straining to be "important" or " authentic". As if that has anything to do with music. Its just my taste tho. I hate that sort of thing in rock. Where everything is a grand statement and its all grand gestures. Just my particular taste tho.

I totally get what you're saying. He's never been my cup of joe either. I think you've caught part of the reason why. There's a certain Velveeta quality to a lot his songs. A lot it sounds phony to me. He's trying so hard to be sincere that it becomes insincere. There's one exception to this for me. I love Nebraska. But, that's pretty much it except for a few scattered singles I guess.

Last edited by Repo on 06/02/2017 13:01; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 06/02/2017 12:29
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Mostly what i hear is someone stressing and straining to be "important" or " authentic". As if that has anything to do with music.

Honestly I sometimes think authenticity is the only metric to judge music on sometimes. I think sometimes Bruce hams on as though he lived through the great depression and seems to wish he was an authentic Okie, but I think that derives from an authentic love and fascination of the time period on his end. 'Born To Run' sounds through-and-through like the streets of 70s New York to me, of course I'd never know, but he's convinced me.
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2017 12:43
  • Post subject: Personally
I like all his albums through Born in the USA and some after that but they become more hit or miss. I do think Greetings, Nebraska and Born in THe USA are particularly strong. This album I like, I don't love it but i think its still a very good album. He is very New Jersey and I think that turns some people off and what some are calling cheesy or insincere. I don't think he is thats just how many from Jersey especially that era acted. He paints accurate pictures of the shore i would visit often as a kid.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2017 12:45
  • Post subject: Bruce
Also was one of the first to expose Regan and his ilk for the frauds they were using the American flag and patriotism to fleece the American working class and moving wealth even more into the hands of the richest few
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2017 13:09
  • Post subject:
Actially, authenticity might be a good way to judge people, but not music. Sincerity is a great personal quality, but its not a musical quality in the least. It has nothing to do with good music. The world is full of the authentic working class people Bruce Springsteen likrs to tell us about, but it doesnt mean they would make good music. And just because you're sincere doesn't automatically result in a good melody or compelling music.
  • Visit poster's website