I don't understand OK Computer...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
BowieGhostsBub

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2017 15:31
  • Post subject: I don't understand OK Computer...
I'm by no means a music geru or consider myself "well listened." I'm very new to it in general, but I just don't know why OK Computer is so revered and is the top album on this site. Maybe it was really ground breaking when it came out I'm guessing. I'm not knocking it one bit. It's simply that I don't understand it.
dermonduebersoho

• Posted: 06/13/2017 15:40
  • Post subject:
I was the same one year ago. Keep calm, it will click sometime. Now, i can't imagine that someone who likes alternative music don't likes this. Maybe listen to the lyrics specifically or watch some live videos of karma police etc.
  • Visit poster's website
BowieGhostsBub

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2017 16:31
  • Post subject:
Maybe that could be it. I mean when I listen to it, I think it's good, just not the best ever. I did like Karma Police. That one is probably my favorite on the album. I think it's just alternative isn't my main cup of tea.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 06/14/2017 12:09
  • Post subject:
Don't worry, you'll get there. I don't mean that this will be one of your favourite albums, but you'll definitely appreciate it.
I was raised on classick rok and hard rock of the 70's so it took me a while to properly get into alternative music but now I love it almost as much as anything else.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
xMUSICSNOBx

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 14:58
  • Post subject:
Or maybe you never will, which is completely fine, because not everyone has like the same thing.
*clears throat*
Did you hear me BEA?
Not everyone has to like the same thing.
  • Visit poster's website
BowieGhostsBub

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 15:36
  • Post subject:
Haha. Exactly! I think it's just my tastes don't really match the album, which as I said is fine! I'm not knocking it one bit. But different folks, different strokes, and different albums they like. Just seems like since OK Computer was so overwhelmingly acclaimed like I was missing something. But just a case of not my cup of tea I believe.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2017 15:53
  • Post subject:
It's not as revered as you guys might think. Well, at least not to the crowd you're posting to.
SleepDealer

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/14/2017 19:54
  • Post subject:
Welcome to 1997... I remember when it was originally released in the UK. In those days the internet was a very new thing, and as a teenager I relied on teletext's Planet Sound (Channel 4) for music reviews. I'm pretty sure they gave the album a weak review (like a 2.5 out of 5 or something), and I remember only buying it on the recommendation of a friend who idolised the band. My first impression wasn't that good - it was only after a few repeated listens in the car with my Dad that it started to click (made better by my Dad hating all the songs apart from 'No Surprises'). At the time most people I knew considered it to be an inferior follow-up to The Bends.

I have no problem with the album's classic status, although I do prefer Kid A - which again took a while to sink in but I still love it now.
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 06/14/2017 20:05
  • Post subject:
I actually was going to make a separate thread on OK Computer and it's impact on music, but I figured that would've been ignored very quickly because it doesn't have a catchy title like this thread. Anyway, I've also wondered about its acclaim and if there's any legitimacy behind it. Don't get me wrong, I adore everything about it, but, to put things into perspective, why has the general internet consensus, not just on BEA but RYM is included in the mix, decided that it is the best album ever? Is it because of its themes dealing with our dependence on technology? While I don't doubt that, there has been albums before it that had concepts that dealt with the human condition, ranging from hedonistic to gritty. Is it because it's an important record? Yeah, but only in the world of rock and you can say the same things about other albums in that field. Is there any instance of its influence reaching other genres outside of rock?

Yet, at the same time, I'd say that influence is the most fascinating aspect of OK Computer. Reading up on all the influences, whether musical or not, is overwhelming because there is so much there - from electronic to krautrock to soul to jazz to modern classical. Done wrong it can sound bloated and lacking in identity, but instead it feels inspired and totally their own. And I don't think even Thom Yorke could've consciously predicted it to be the phenomenon it has become. Now after 20 years of its release, where can we go from here? Now that society has submerged itself into the digital age that Radiohead were so worried about all those years ago, will/is there be an album with that same kind of drive and inspiration? Will/is there an album that will grab the music world the same way as OK Computer? If it's the current best ever album, will there ever be the possibility of there being an album that can surpass it? There's probably several artists that have made their indent known already and could push that potential even further. I guess time will tell if that will be the case, but, as it stands now, OK Computer is what it is: our best ever album.

(sorry if it that was an incoherent ramble, the idea of acclaimed albums and their place in music fascinates me)
boyd94

• Posted: 06/14/2017 20:23
  • Post subject:
It will always be in my top 5 but it feels weird and out of place there. It doesn't have that neat and cohesive atmosphere I see in other albums I consider great. It has this bizarre dip in the middle, but I don't think it'd be improved by removing Fitter Happier and Electioneering. It's not particularly experimental yet it manages to sound fresh and unique with each listen. Whenever I try to think of a reason to knock it down I have a listen to a few tracks and I'm immediately dissuaded. It's just undeniable.

I've often thought about writing a review of it for my blog but it'd be a waste of time. It insists upon so many adjectives that I might as well let it speak for itself.
  • Visit poster's website