What city has the most good music come from??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2017 19:46
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
Quote:
For modern music:
Detroit/Motown area
Los Angeles
Chicago
New York
London
Nashville
Seattle

I think Manchester needs to be mentioned too.

I did mention Manchester. Look again at the very first post.

I think I'm less familiar (and yes you did) with that area. Tell me more.

Also interested in hearing more about Berlin.

EDIT: NM looked it up.

Berlin I agree with (U2 and Bowie)

Manchester... besides the punk side of things, I'm not a fan of any of those bands, sorry Sad

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 07/02/2017 20:00; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2017 19:53
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
While it's not the best I'm gonna rep Kansas City, which actually has some important/interesting people from it.

Count Basie
Janelle Monae
Pat Metheny
Burt Bacharach
Charlie Parker (although he supposedly hated it here and liked New York a lot more Smile
Big Joe Turner and Pete Johnson
Ben Webster
John Kander (who wrote the musicals Cabaret and Chicago)

others from the area, but not specifically KC

Coleman Hawkins
Lester Young (one of the many musicians to go to make great music after being with Basie)
Moondog was born in Marysville, Kansas
Danny Carey from Tool is from Lawrence.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2017 21:42
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
While it's not the best I'm gonna rep Kansas City, which actually has some important/interesting people from it.

Count Basie
Janelle Monae
Pat Metheny
Burt Bacharach
Charlie Parker (although he supposedly hated it here and liked New York a lot more Smile
Ben Webster

Coleman Hawkins
Lester Young (one of the many musicians to go to make great music after being with Basie)

Link

It's a great song, but it was written by Lieber and Stoller in Los Angeles where they wrote all of their early hits. They are probably two of the most overlooked men in the history of music, and I'm glad they liked Big Joe Turner so much to write that great ode to city they had never even been to.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2017 21:48
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Count Basie
Janelle Monae
Pat Metheny
Burt Bacharach
Ben Webster

Coleman Hawkins

Link

It's a great song, but it was written by Lieber and Stoller in Los Angeles where they wrote all of their early hits. They are probably two of the most overlooked men in the history of music, and I'm glad they liked Big Joe Turner so much to write that great ode to city they had never even been to.

They wrote Jailhouse Rock too. And On Broadway. And i believe Hound Dog too, but im not too sure about that one.
  • Visit poster's website
TheHutts

New Zealand

• Posted: 07/02/2017 23:27
  • Post subject:
Boston has a pretty good pop music resume:

Boston
Pixies
Jonathan Richman
The Cars
Mission of Burma
Aimee Mann
The Lemonheads
Aerosmith
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2017 23:54
  • Post subject:
San Francisco:

Grateful Dead
Sly and the family stone
Jefferson airplane
Journey
Steve miller band
Dead kennedys
Big brother and the holding co
Quicksilver messenger service
Third eye blind
Blue cheer
Huey Lewis
Hot tuna
It's a beautiful day
The charlatans
Faith no more
Moby grape
Jerry Garcia band
Jefferson starship
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/03/2017 00:02
  • Post subject:
Not to be blunt, but:

The Velvet Underground, Miles Davis, Sonic Youth, A Tribe Called Quest, Talking Heads, Ella Fitzgerald, Nas, Television, Galaxie 500, Animal Collective, Wu-Tang Clan, Notorious B.I.G., The Antlers, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Patti Smith, Buddy Rich, MF DOOM, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Swans, Ramones, Joan Baez, The Stokes, Gang Starr, Mos Def, LCD Soundsystem, Mamas & Papas, Big Daddy Kane, El-P, Charles Bradley, Busta Rhymes, Ui, Carole King, Billie Holiday, John Zorn, RUN-DMC, Vampire Weekend, KRS-One, Cannibal Ox, Richard Hell, Battles, Steely Dan, AZ, Blondie, Brand New, Camp Lo,The Hold Steady, Grizzly Bear, The Lounge Lizards, New York Dolls, Jay-Z, MGMT, Big L, The National, TV On The Radio, Interpol, Simon & Garfunkel, Sonny Rollins, Slick Rick, Eric B. & Rakim, Cecil Taylor, Cannonball Adderley, Action Bronson, Ka, Kool Keith, Pete Rock, Salt-N-Pepa, De La Soul, Norah Jones, Maxwell, Le Tigre, The Walkmen, Yeasayer, Blood Sweat & Tears, Suicide, Johnny Thunders, The Drifters, Harry Nilsson, Laura Nyro, Kiss, Billy Joel...

If I was more informed with which artists were based in New York as well, the list would surely be longer. I think the only other American city that stacks up to it is LA...
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2017 00:11
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Not to be blunt, but:

The Velvet Underground, Miles Davis, Sonic Youth, A Tribe Called Quest, Talking Heads, Ella Fitzgerald, Nas, Television, Galaxie 500, Animal Collective, Wu-Tang Clan, Notorious B.I.G., The Antlers, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Patti Smith, Buddy Rich, MF DOOM, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Swans, Ramones, Joan Baez, The Stokes, Gang Starr, Mos Def, LCD Soundsystem, Mamas & Papas, Big Daddy Kane, El-P, Charles Bradley, Busta Rhymes, Ui, Carole King, Billie Holiday, John Zorn, RUN-DMC, Vampire Weekend, KRS-One, Cannibal Ox, Richard Hell, Battles, Steely Dan, AZ, Blondie, Brand New, Camp Lo,The Hold Steady, Grizzly Bear, The Lounge Lizards, New York Dolls, Jay-Z, MGMT, Big L, The National, TV On The Radio, Interpol, Simon & Garfunkel, Sonny Rollins, Slick Rick, Eric B. & Rakim, Cecil Taylor, Cannonball Adderley, Action Bronson, Ka, Kool Keith, Pete Rock, Salt-N-Pepa, De La Soul, Norah Jones, Maxwell, Le Tigre, The Walkmen, Yeasayer, Blood Sweat & Tears, Suicide, Johnny Thunders, The Drifters, Harry Nilsson, Laura Nyro, Kiss, Billy Joel...

If I was more informed with which artists were based in New York as well, the list would surely be longer. I think the only other American city that stacks up to it is LA...

Totally agree. But a big factor in why NYC, and then LA, produced so many big names, is because those were the locations of the music industry. For decades New York was the center of the music industry and then in the late 60s LA became the bigger center. So that's why music from California really took off. In other words, they kind of had an unfair advantage.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2017 00:15
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Not to be blunt, but:

Totally agree. But a big factor in why NYC, and then LA, produced so many big names, is because those were the locations of the music industry. For decades New York was the center of the music industry and then in the late 60s LA became the bigger center. So that's why music from California really took off. In other words, they kind of had an unfair advantage.

Who's more likely to get discovered? A band playing in Kansas or a band playing in NYC?
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2017 00:43
  • Post subject:
And don't forget, every non- Motown girl group were from New York too.
  • Visit poster's website