A note from Harkan

View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 07/08/2017 21:43
  • Post subject: A note from Harkan
This is a long post so keep that in mind.

In 2012, I started messing around with loops. At the end of that year, I released my first ever EP ‘Dialect’ with the encouragement from some great people on this site who are now making music themselves. Since then, I have learnt to creating music both on PC and iOS and even include some instruments badly played. Also some field recordings have helped.

My music ‘hobby’ existed as I was needing a new creative outlet that wasn’t writing. I was well into a career as a teacher and marking student work and editing my own became too closely linked. Even from the beginning, my music also linked to my writing. Harkan came from a detective character in a novel I was attempting. Needless to say, Detective Harkan never saw the light of day… yet. We’ll see.

For almost five years, I have toyed with music. Even then I have toyed with names. Borejko being the major shift, believing that I needed to connect to myself more than a fictional character. Unshaky Alarm, Bruised Spine, variations of Harkan (HRKN, putting Brad in front of it, etc.) and the current weird vaporwave project VIDEO HEAD CLEANER – all have been a focus at one point.

But things change. Change can become highly impactful in all areas of someone’s life. So this is why this is hard to write.

For a few years now, I have been dealing with anxiety. This has manifested more in my working career than in the music I make but it bleeds over. I have made rash decisions in music (name changes, title changes, reworking releases, changing album covers) to satisfy… I don’t know what.

Now, with my anxiety at a point that is not just mental but physical, I am starting to pause and breathe. Which finally brings me to the announcement I am making.

Harkan as a project is stopping. VIDEO HEAD CLEANER is still happening but who knows what the future brings. However, back to the main point.

This month, I wanted to start reflecting on the past few years of my music and doing so made me think I needed a change. But my reflection on my music started at the end of last year. The release ‘The End Of The Year’ could have just been ‘The End’ as I was considering finishing off the project then. I decided to change back to Harkan but each new release has become more soulless than the last.

I need to slow down what I do and change my approach to my ‘hobby.’ (I only call it that as I cannot make a living out of this but I need to make music to please my soul.)

This is not something I have done spur of the moment. And this is not a hit to those that follow my music. I appreciate all those that have listened to my music and have helped along the way.

So Harkan will cease as a project. This did happen when I changed name to Borejko but this is permanent. I need a new outlook on my music.

Soon, I will update Facebook to reflect the new approach. Harkan’s Bandcamp will remain but the subscription service will end. Thank you to those who did subscribe. I will always keep you informed of new material.

For now, the series of Reflection EPs I was creating will stop. ‘Reflection 2’ is the last Harkan release. Anti-climactic I know.

In all of this, the latest one minute BEA project is still happening. End date for submissions is August 1st.

Thank you all once again and I hope you continue to follow me to new endeavours in the future.

Regards,

Brad.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 07/10/2017 14:51
  • Post subject:
Do what feels right. I won't pretend like I've heard all your music, but you've amounted a huge body of work that's, what I have heard of it, a real platform of self expression that never shied away from constantly stretching how it explored and experimented. You did the project proud.

Tuck it away, don't throw it away forever. We can close the lid, but for things like this you never know when it becomes just the right time to return and do it more justice. It may be never, but who knows.

Been enjoying VIDEO HEAD CLEANER, so I'm keen to see where you take it next. And, of course, really appreciate your effort piecing BEAM together - can't wait Smile
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 07/11/2017 01:34
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Do what feels right. I won't pretend like I've heard all your music, but you've amounted a huge body of work that's, what I have heard of it, a real platform of self expression that never shied away from constantly stretching how it explored and experimented. You did the project proud.

Tuck it away, don't throw it away forever. We can close the lid, but for things like this you never know when it becomes just the right time to return and do it more justice. It may be never, but who knows.

Been enjoying VIDEO HEAD CLEANER, so I'm keen to see where you take it next. And, of course, really appreciate your effort piecing BEAM together - can't wait Smile

Maybe VHC needs to connect with Cassini...
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 03:51
  • Post subject:
Harkan, Borejko, VHC, etc. I want to echo PR's sentiments. I haven't heard anything close to your entire discography, but I appreciate what I have heard. There are a handful of albums I've come back to countless times. You've done a lot of great work, and I'm looking forward to what comes next with VHC. Godspeed, man.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 04:38
  • Post subject:
All the best mate.

I try and keep this in mind whenever I go through a tough time or a new transition or whatever... It's a quote from Paul Simon:
Quote:

Breakdowns come, breakdowns go, whatcha gonna do about it, that's what I'd like to know.

Anyway, that helps me cause I find myself getting anxiety fixating on problems, etc. and it sometimes help me get in a mood of moving on/not dwelling on negative thoughts. Just sharing what helps with my anxiety.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 07/14/2017 01:42
  • Post subject:
New name - new release

https://iago.bandcamp.com/album/break-down

Free to download - only goes for 12 minutes.
  • Visit poster's website