Has anyone seen a movie called Mikey and Nicky?

View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2017 23:03
  • Post subject: Has anyone seen a movie called Mikey and Nicky?
Have any of you guys here who seem to have seen every movie ever made ever seen Mikey and Nicky? I rented it in the 90s but I've never heard anyone else mention it. It has all those same people who are in all those crappy John cassavetes movies and it's kind of like one of his movies just 1000 times better, and I don't know why it's not famous like those ones because it's very very similar only ten times more interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/11/2017 09:02
  • Post subject:
Haven't watched it but I've been planning to. I'm curious which Cassavetes films you find "crappy" though, because the ones I've seen are quite amazing and A Woman Under the Influence might be my favourite film.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 11:48
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
Haven't watched it but I've been planning to. I'm curious which Cassavetes films you find "crappy" though, because the ones I've seen are quite amazing and A Woman Under the Influence might be my favourite film.

I don't think u wanna hear my answer. Lol. The only one i kind of liked was Faces. And that's because it had several scenes that were actually quite funny and the actors were so fun. But he never made a funny one again. I think his serious stuff is just ridiculous. Its just too pointless. And i know the whole point of his movies is to not have a script and not have a plot, but that's a horrible idea. Mikey and Nicky i guarantee youll like. Because you get the same actors but you also get a plot and a script. I got really involved with the story. it was really good and you really get caught up in it. I like it.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 12:51
  • Post subject:
I genuinely love that movie. I wish there could've been more Cassavetes action movies.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 12:55
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I genuinely love that movie. I wish there could've been more Cassavetes action movies.

Its not a Cassavetes movie, it's by Elaine May. She wrote and directed it. But I like him better as an actor anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/11/2017 15:17
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I don't think u wanna hear my answer. Lol. The only one i kind of liked was Faces. And that's because it had several scenes that were actually quite funny and the actors were so fun. But he never made a funny one again. I think his serious stuff is just ridiculous. Its just too pointless. And i know the whole point of his movies is to not have a script and not have a plot, but that's a horrible idea. Mikey and Nicky i guarantee youll like. Because you get the same actors but you also get a plot and a script. I got really involved with the story. it was really good and you really get caught up in it. I like it.

Which ones did you think were pointless?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 16:57
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
Which ones did you think were pointless?

I meant that the method of telling the actors to improvise is pointless. It's not like you get better acting by telling them to improvise, but you do get a better movie by sticking to a script. I know that the movies had points to them, like the relationship between men and women or the relationship between men friends and stuff. but telling the actors to just keep acting and acting and acting seems pointless. Im sure it's a ton of fun for the actors, but it's not for the audience. But like I said before, the scenes in faces when they were drunk and acting stupid, then it seems to come to life and I really found that very amusing. maybe actors are better at improvising being funny than they are being serious.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/12/2017 10:00
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I meant that the method of telling the actors to improvise is pointless. It's not like you get better acting by telling them to improvise, but you do get a better movie by sticking to a script. I know that the movies had points to them, like the relationship between men and women or the relationship between men friends and stuff. but telling the actors to just keep acting and acting and acting seems pointless. Im sure it's a ton of fun for the actors, but it's not for the audience. But like I said before, the scenes in faces when they were drunk and acting stupid, then it seems to come to life and I really found that very amusing. maybe actors are better at improvising being funny than they are being serious.

I meant to ask which films of his you've seen that you thought were pointless. I disagree with you about the pointlessness of his style, which I consider to be quite engaging and immersive.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website