What track mars an otherwise perfect album?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 18:31
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
I love It Ain't Easy. And Because. And Sloop John B. And Meet Me In The Morning. And I don't find any of those four albums to be flawed in the least. And I find Christine McVie's contributions to Rumours to be splendid. I think both Songbird and Oh Daddy are beautiful songs that add a lot to the balance and charm of the album. The only thing that mars Rumours is that its best song (written by Stevie Nicks) was left off the album.

Link

I always thought Christine's songwriting was the weak link in Fleetwood Mac, and then suddenly on Tusk, her contributions GREATLY improved. They were no longer the weakest tracks on the album. They were much better songs than anything she wrote previously and they were performed better too.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/11/2017 22:05
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Abbey Road is marred by Because.

Noooo man, it's a gorgeous track. Sun King is also great. Maxwell is the stinker on Abbey Road.

Quote:
Rumors by Fleetwood Mac is marred by Oh Daddy and Songbird.

Disagree, it's a beautiful song.

Quote:
Agree about It Aint Easy. And i would mention Lady Grinning Soul totally fucks up Aladdin sane. it's just awful

Again a big no, Lady Grinnig Soul is actually one of my favourite songs on Aladdin Sane.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/11/2017 22:43
  • Post subject:
I always thought Dizzy Miss Lizzy ruins the Beatles Help!
They should just have ended on Yesterday, instead of tacking on a poor cover version at the end which totally destroys the mood

Also I agree that Maxwell ruins Abbey Road, love all the other tracks.

Plus I would swap the sub-par Getting Better and Fixing a Hole on Sgt Pepper for the singles Strawwberry Fields and Penny Lane. That would make Pepper a near perfect album.

I always hated the title track on Dylan's Highway 61, with its annoying whistle-thing. Totally ruins the album for me. The lyrics are good but that whistle is irritating.

Plus I hate the interlude track On The Run from Dark Side of The Moon. Doesn't quite ruin the album for me but I could live without it.
  • Visit poster's website
Onater

Canada

• Posted: 07/11/2017 22:43
  • Post subject:
Everybody Hurts on Automatic For The People. It's already number 1 on my chart, but it would just be a much better album without it. It's not a particularly bad song (though it wouldn't make even my top 50 for R.E.M.), it's just an awful switch in tone that breaks up the flow of the album. I considered the whole of AFTP to be building up towards Nightswimming, with the different energy of each track contributing to that. The big problem with Everybody Hurts, aside from completely abandoning the subtlety of the majority of the album, is that it contains its own crescendo to its own climax, which doesn't fit into the scheme of the whole album. Yeah, there are other songs that have their own crescendos, Drive, Man on the Moon, Monty Got a Raw Deal, but none of them go from so small to so big as Everybody Hurts does, and they all fit in their position. Everybody Hurts just doesn't. I think that it would have worked better as a track off Out of Time (that album could use a decent song other than Losing My Religion) or as a non-album single (though R.E.M. wasn't a band that did a lot of those). I think that the B-side Fretless could easily take it's place; it fits better into the flow and tone of the album (and is, in my opinion, a better song than Everybody Hurts anyways).
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 22:57
  • Post subject:
You people are just completely fucking my head up. You keep picking my favorite songs on an album as the ones you wanna get rid of. I am just beside myself. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 23:08
  • Post subject:
I swear I'm the only person on this site Earth who likes Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I'm a sucker for Abbey Road and yeah Max is a goofy little song but the beauty for me is not necessarily the song itself but that the first 3 songs on the album are unique and completely identifiable due to their respective main writer's quirks, John's Come Together, George's Something, Paul's Max.

For Pepper, my least favorite track is Lovely Rita. There are things I like about it but I think it breaks the flow the album had going almost completely and just seems like lazy writing from Paul. I love Getting Better and Fixing A Hole has really grown on me so put Penny Lane in Lovely Rita's spot and Sgt Pepper might be in my top 10.
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 23:11
  • Post subject:
I went through my 95 rated albums and didn't find a single one that I would have rated 100 if not for one song. In general I rate albums 95 or 90 just because there aren't enough songs I really really like. It's pretty rare that I find a stinker on an album I otherwise really like.

Now, if I had to not be such a sourpuss and answer the question, I'd say:

- Maxwell's Silver Hammer wouldn't take much away from Abbey Road
- The Stooges debut would be much better without We Will Fall, though it would also be really short
- 69 Love Songs is perfect the way it is, but I really wouldn't mind if it was 68 Love Songs and "Love is Like Jazz" was left off
- I also rated MBDTF 100, but the more I listen to it the more ambivalent I get towards Hell of a Life
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/11/2017 23:12
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
I swear I'm the only person on this site Earth who likes Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I'm a sucker for Abbey Road and yeah Max is a goofy little song but the beauty for me is not necessarily the song itself but that the first 3 songs on the album are unique and completely identifiable due to their respective main writer's quirks, John's Come Together, George's Something, Paul's Max.

For Pepper, my least favorite track is Lovely Rita. There are things I like about it but I think it breaks the flow the album had going almost completely and just seems like lazy writing from Paul. I love Getting Better and Fixing A Hole has really grown on me so put Penny Lane in Lovely Rita's spot and Sgt Pepper might be in my top 10.

I like Maxwell's Silver Hammer Razz

...but I also like Lovely Rita. I'll agree with the Penny Lane bit though, shame considering it was recorded at the same time. Would've fit nicely.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 23:15
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:

You're not the only one. I love Maxwell too, there's nothing weak about it. It has a very strong melody. I disagree about lovely Rita though. It also has a very strong melody. and Penny Lane just can't be topped. So I would put that in there but not Strawberry Fields Forever.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2017 23:18
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:

You're not the only one. I love Maxwell too, there's nothing weak about it. It has a very strong melody. I disagree about lovely Rita though. It also has a very strong melody. and Penny Lane just can't be topped. So I would put that in there but not Strawberry Fields Forever.

Strawberry Fields is one of the best Beatles songs for me. However, I agree because Pepper would feel strange having both Strawberry Fields and Lucy in the Sky on it.