What track mars an otherwise perfect album?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/13/2017 03:24
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
I think it serves as a nice transition between the two tracks it's between. More importantly, maybe more than any other track they've ever done (along with Jetty), it wears on its sleeve the influences from their peers who did the remixes surrounding the recordings of Millions Now Living Will Never Die and TNT (e.g. Spring Heel Jack, Luke Vibert, Derrick Carter). It might even be a remix of Jetty. By itself it is not as impressive as other Tortoise tracks though.

I get that, I just think it could've been done better. Still not a bad track. I find it hard to actually find bad tracks on "perfect" albums.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2017 05:00
  • Post subject:
lleon79 wrote:
Prayers for Rain and maybe Last Dance in Disintegration by The Cure. It's my favorite album of all time and I like both of those songs, but I've always thought that if it was just a little bit shorter, it could be even greater of an album and those 2 are my less favorite of the bunch.

You're completely mad, Leon! "Prayers For Rain" is like the best! So intense.

Love "Last Dance" as well but less attached. "Prayers For Rain" is just so fricken' badass!

Of course, that's how know an album is amazing. When everyone has a different favorite song(s)
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/13/2017 10:44
  • Post subject:
Quote:
It Ain't Easy is a good song, but, I completely agree, it sounds so out of place on a supposed-story-based album. It was actually recorded during the Hunky Dory sessions which raises even more questions as to why it was included? I know they were recorded virtually one after another, but still why? Velvet Goldmine would've been a much better choice, even if that doesn't exactly contribute to the story, it's pretty vague/loose anyway. Sweet Head at least mentions Ziggy so that also would've been better than It Ain't Easy.

Agreed, both of those B-sides would fit much better with the overall sound of the album.

Quote:
Lady Grinning Soul is a great closer and is actually one the best tracks on an album that, although good, is a little stale in comparison to his later offerings. It doesn't deviate enough from Ziggy but is brilliant when it does, which is why LGS is a choice cut of mine.

I actually feel I like Aladdin Sane more than most people. Sure it's not better than Ziggy, Hunky Dory or Low, but it's still amazing with some great musicianship (Mick Ronson's guitar sound on it is pure heaven, and piano is used wonderfully on the album). It may not have those incredible songs his previous two albums had, but it's consistently strong with some highlights (like LGS).

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2017 11:01
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Quote:
It Ain't Easy is a good song, but, I completely agree, it sounds so out of place on a supposed-story-based album. It was actually recorded during the Hunky Dory sessions which raises even more questions as to why it was included? I know they were recorded virtually one after another, but still why? Velvet Goldmine would've been a much better choice, even if that doesn't exactly contribute to the story, it's pretty vague/loose anyway. Sweet Head at least mentions Ziggy so that also would've been better than It Ain't Easy.

Agreed, both of those B-sides would fit much better with the overall sound of the album.

Quote:
Lady Grinning Soul is a great closer and is actually one the best tracks on an album that, although good, is a little stale in comparison to his later offerings. It doesn't deviate enough from Ziggy but is brilliant when it does, which is why LGS is a choice cut of mine.

I actually feel I like Aladdin Sane more than most people. Sure it's not better than Ziggy, Hunky Dory or Low, but it's still amazing with some great musicianship (Mick Ronson's guitar sound on it is pure heaven, and piano is used wonderfully on the album). It may not have those incredible songs his previous two albums had, but it's consistently strong with some highlights (like LGS).

What I have trouble believing is how many people don't value Pin Ups. And I always hear the same thing, they say "It's just covers. They're just cover songs" And I say so what? As music, Pinups has the same sound as Aladdin Sane, which was the best rock and roll Bowie ever did. Pinups has the same wonderful guitar sound and the same awesome production style as Aladdin, and the musicianship is similar or even better than Aladdin sane. And as far as the songs go, only two or three are truly crappy songs and three or four of them are such excellent songs that they actually could have been written for Aladdin sane by Bowie himself. Especially songs like Shapes of Things and Where have all the Good Times Gone. And both of these songs sounds like they could have been on Aladdin. And several more of them too. Pinups isn't my favorite Bowie, but it's about my third or fourth favorite simply because it's the best rock and roll album he ever made, and he didn't make too many that were actually rock and roll. Its just a good album. I always think of it as a companion to Aladdin Sane. They just go together. But people like to dismiss it. This is because theyve been told its not too good, so they say that also.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2017 11:09
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:

Quote:

What I have trouble believing is how many people don't value Pin Ups. And I always hear the same thing, they say "It's just covers. They're just cover songs" And I say so what? As music, Pinups has the same sound as Aladdin Sane, which was the best rock and roll Bowie ever did. Pinups has the same wonderful guitar sound and the same awesome production style as Aladdin, and the musicianship is similar or even better than Aladdin sane. And as far as the songs go, only two or three are truly crappy songs and three or four of them are such excellent songs that they actually could have been written for Aladdin sane by Bowie himself. Especially songs like Shapes of Things and Where have all the Good Times Gone. And both of these songs sounds like they could have been on Aladdin. And several more of them too. Pinups isn't my favorite Bowie, but it's about my third or fourth favorite simply because it's the best rock and roll album he ever made, and he didn't make too many that were actually rock and roll. Its just a good album. I always think of it as a companion to Aladdin Sane. They just go together. But people like to dismiss it. This is because theyve been told its not too good, so they say that also.[/quote]

Also, the songs on Aladdin with an oldies feel, Drive-in Saturday, let's spend the night together ( an ACTUAL oldie), and the prettiest star aren't as good as the actual oldies on PinUps.
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 07/13/2017 11:23
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
What I have trouble believing is how many people don't value Pin Ups.

I think "Sorrow" mars an otherwise perfect stinker. So, yes I do not value Pin Ups. It is even worse than Lennon’s Rock 'n' Roll.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2017 13:22
  • Post subject:
I LOVE Pin Ups! So you're not alone. lol. Great, great cover album with infectious energy. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2017 13:26
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
I LOVE Pin Ups! So you're not alone. lol. Great, great cover album with infectious energy. Very Happy

I know, right? The band is twice as good on PinUps than they are on Ziggy or Aladdin. There's just no doubt about that.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 07/13/2017 16:12
  • Post subject:
Onater wrote:
Everybody Hurts on Automatic For The People. It's already number 1 on my chart, but it would just be a much better album without it. It's not a particularly bad song (though it wouldn't make even my top 50 for R.E.M.), it's just an awful switch in tone that breaks up the flow of the album. I considered the whole of AFTP to be building up towards Nightswimming, with the different energy of each track contributing to that. The big problem with Everybody Hurts, aside from completely abandoning the subtlety of the majority of the album, is that it contains its own crescendo to its own climax, which doesn't fit into the scheme of the whole album. Yeah, there are other songs that have their own crescendos, Drive, Man on the Moon, Monty Got a Raw Deal, but none of them go from so small to so big as Everybody Hurts does, and they all fit in their position. Everybody Hurts just doesn't.

That's very true !
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2017 19:44
  • Post subject:
As much as I like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, comparing it to other McCartney songs, Ob-La-Di is much better. I don't think it's anywhere near the worst track on the White Album. I even like it much more than Glass Onion, never really got into that one.