A look upon the records

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2017 14:03
  • Post subject:
Well good morning everyone. So we got a special listen for today. We are going to be looking at a video game soundtrack. As welcoming a new entry into the BEA database.
Video Game O.S.T #1- The game that made me the Nintendo fan I am.

Ah good old Yoshi's Island. I remember back on Christmas eve on 2002 where me my dad, little brother and uncle decided to go to Toys R Us and get this game for the Game Boy Advance. Kinda of a surreal moment compared to how we don't go to stores on Christmas Eve anymore. But I remembered playing this game so much that the o.s.t that came with it was so incredible. The opening video that explains the plot of the game was a real relaxing hit of toy pianos and these micro crunches that puts me to ease. Reminding me of a simpler time. Then there was title screen where the waves hit up the shore to give the feeling of being on island until in turns into a killer tropical song with soothing flutes and killer bass grooves and drum patterns. Next up is starting the new game where that track is some legend status. I love it so much. I mean Koji Kondo is a master mind at his craft. Then the tutorial track which I love the rocking of the violins. Also love the progression of the map theme. Now, my personal tracks come from the stages. Flower Garden a toe tapper that lets you know this is going to be a fun time. Underground, a personal highlight where the glissening crystal line as well as the drum beat which probably got me into hip hop music.
Come on:Put this as a sample on your next record and I will refer to you as a King.

Then we got the castle theme were it is brooding but really gets stuck on your grey matter with those violin strokes.(Also the same song motif that was used in this also appeared in Ocarina of Time.)Even thought I do think Wind Waker, Skyward Sword and Breath Of The Wild are better games. Mr. Green
Next is both the Athletic Theme and The Overworld theme. Love these themes a lot. They were tracks that kept me going through the hard adventure back when I was a lot younger. Now for the most part, I can get most of the levels with an 100% Fuck you Kamek's Revenge and Endless World of Yoshies!
Second to last is the boss themes. The prelude to the boss room always was a tense theme that got me hyped for the fight. The mini boss fight was always a playful rump. But the world boss theme was so good. Love the organ stabs. And you can't talk boss themes with out talking about the Bowser fight. The hard rock in this track is so contagious. Lastly the credits theme might be the best credits theme Koji has ever done. Let's the player know you enjoyed an awesome game. And an enjoyable soundtrack. And I did. Grade:100
Now for a P.S.A Can we get more O.S.T's from videogames on this web site?

Last edited by Luigii on 08/03/2017 01:41; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2017 18:18
  • Post subject:
Album 5 Here's your early gift Komorebi-D

This is one of those record that I had really early in my wish list to be purchased later on. Listen to it when I was having my lunch and I have to say this is an incredible record. Enjoy the mix of rock, new wave and funk. The funk that comes from the Talking Heads has this subversion of how a lot of songs from the funk genre was about to forget the troubles of day to day life. Meanwhile, they actually point out those problems. I mean Once in a Lifetime was about have a mid life crisis as the individual grows up to be an adult. Also the oddities of what Talking Heads reminds me of how Beck made Midnite Vultures later on as well as the song Golem II on Mr Bungle's California later on. That album and song warps the conventions of funk to make them way more bizarre. I enjoy every song on here. Love the synth near the tail end of the album. Might be because of Brian Eno. Eh maybe not.(I know he did the production) But this was a needed listen for me. Grade:95
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2017 22:35
  • Post subject:
Now Playing:

This comes from SquishypuffDave and so far this first track is really sick. Love the variety of music in there mix. Metal, folk, and some electro emblishes that makes this track sound so alive. Hope the rest of the album holds up bruh. And after on the last track of this album, this was dope. Love how a good amount of the songs transition into one another. Love the mix of lofty and heavy insturmentals. The lyrics as well as the harmonization's were gorgeous and got emotional at points. You got a keeper in my book. And want to check out there other work. As well as Steve Wilson's solo work. Grade:100 Even if I am not as big on your other two pick's, you did a good job Dave.

Last edited by Luigii on 08/05/2017 02:57; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 08/03/2017 02:25
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:

This is one of those record that I had really early in my wish list to be purchased later on. Listen to it when I was having my lunch and I have to say this is an incredible record. Enjoy the mix of rock, new wave and funk. The funk that comes from the Talking Heads has this subversion of how a lot of songs from the funk genre was about to forget the troubles of day to day life. Meanwhile, they actually point out those problems. I mean Once in a Lifetime was about have a mid life crisis as the individual grows up to be an adult. Also the oddities of what Talking Heads reminds me of how Beck made Midnite Vultures later on as well as the song Golem II on Mr Bungle's California later on. That album and song warps the conventions of funk to make them way more bizarre. I enjoy every song on here. Love the synth near the tail end of the album. Might be because of Brian Eno. Eh maybe not.(I know he did the production) But this was a needed listen for me. Grade:95

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 02:31
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
Luigii wrote:

Knew you would love it. Did you enjoy the O.S.T one?
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 08/03/2017 04:33
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Knew you would love it. Did you enjoy the O.S.T one?

Yes I did but you should already be calling Kendrick the king.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 13:23
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
Yes I did but you should already be calling Kendrick the king.

Realistically, as in the modern age of rap that's mainstream, I would say yes. He's killing the other mainstream rappers with the simplest of ease. But I need another record that was on a master tier level like To Pimp a Butterfly for me to refer him as a king.(Doesn't need the same sound as that record for me to give it an 100.) Also, it's also that line from Institutionalized where when they think he is a god, all of them are spoiled.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 16:12
  • Post subject:
Album 6:Praise the Icelandic Queen

Man just in a span of almost 2 years, I have grown to love Bjork. Albums like Post, Homogenic, Vespertine, and Medulla are some of my all time favorite albums out there. And I was interested to listen to this record just to see how it holds up in the context of 2015. And I have to say, this record is incredible. First, my favorite thing about this record has to be the album art. From the bright yellow backdrop to give off the lush orchestra moments to the record. Contrast that to the blobby black outfit Bjork is wearing where there are these detailed beat works just gets me hyped. This also goes into the lyrics and mindset of the record where the white cut on her middle finger to the open wound on her chest the dandelion imagery and Bjork's face explains the stress, anger, lonliness and the uncertainty for her personal future. The death of Mark Bell and with the departure of her husband made this record really tragic.
If we are going by the songs that were on this album Stonemilker, Lionsong, History of Touches, Family, Notget and Quicksand was glorious.
My favorite moment of this record is the tail end of Family where musically it reminds me of a mixture of the second to last track of:

As well of the sonic palette and dream like quality of:

I got to thank everyone that worked on this record. And in some point on this music diary, I will rank all of Bjork's albums she made from 93 to now.
Grade:95
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 23:59
  • Post subject:
Well I have realized that out of all the reviews I have done, I've notice I haven't been as critical or more not impressed with a record. So what are we...
Pitchfork and Torches#2
Wait why are we doing this?

Oh. Well shit, lets see how this diary forum continues out after this review.
Now I don't hate the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I do respect them as a group that was able to mix both rock and funk music. And I still want to give some of their 90's output like Blood Sugar Sex Magic as well as One Hot Minute. But I was curious how this record was. Especially how the records that I have listen to that came in 1999 have been impressive. So I gave this record a listen. And I have to say I was torn on this record somewhat.Now I have to say I did enjoy a handful of songs off this record. Scar Tissue, Otherside, Get on Top, Californication, Easily, This Velvet Glove, Savior, Purple Stain and Road Trippin' are song that I do enjoy. Has the smoothness as well as having fun with there songs. Not to mention that these songs have progressions and details that I did pick up. However, there were songs that I wasn't really hot on. Now Right on Time as well as I Like Dirt would have got on my liked tracks list if the latter song wasn't as on the nose for it's silliness. Meanwhile the former ended so quickly that I wanted more from this track. Around The World, Parallel Universe and Porcelain to me were just tracks that never got me to go anywhere and just got boring. And Emit Remmes to me was the worst track of the bunch. The vocals as well as the sound irritated me where I just wanted it to end.I do have a feeling that how I feel on this record might change later on. But I don't know it it will get better or worse after I listen to R.H.C.P's other records. Overall my grade for this record will be a:65
You know, even when I wasn't as crazy on a record compared to other people, it is cool to try records. Even if you weren't impress with them.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 08/04/2017 00:33
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Praise the Icelandic Queen

This phrase is going to only get more relevant in the coming months (with any luck):

New Bjork Album "Very Soon"

Last edited by Komorebi-D on 08/04/2017 00:36; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website