Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/15/2020 00:11
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
I already did it.

Sorry man, I was just going down at the time and realised. But WOW! A 9.7? Those are some big numbers! I’m trying not to rate shit this year - even more than last - but if I had to, I’d say a light 8. I love technicolor everything sounds and perfectionist lengths that Kevin goes to challenge the barriers of psychedelia and pop though. As for the first two records, Innerspeaker & Lonerism, I’d say that I still prefer that style he was going for. Even if it doesn’t click with you (because I don’t think it will as much). Currents is still a minor masterpiece but. Some solid reviewing man anyways.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2020 00:19
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
Sorry man, I was just going down at the time and realised. But WOW! A 9.7? Those are some big numbers! I’m trying not to rate shit this year - even more than last - but if I had to, I’d say a light 8. I love technicolor everything sounds and perfectionist lengths that Kevin goes to challenge the barriers of psychedelia and pop though. As for the first two records, Innerspeaker & Lonerism, I’d say that I still prefer that style he was going for. Even if it doesn’t click with you (because I don’t think it will as much). Currents is still a minor masterpiece but. Some solid reviewing man anyways.

Thank you. And yeah it is pretty high. But I do mean it. I thought I would keep this around a 90 but after hearing it twice, I can't think of anything to complain about. So it might go higher. But I'm waiting to see what will be out later this year.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/15/2020 00:22
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Thank you. And yeah it is pretty high. But I do mean it. I thought I would keep this around a 90 but after hearing it twice, I can't think of anything to complain about. So it might go higher. But I'm waiting to see what will be out later this year.

Would you say that you like it over Currents though?

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2020 00:28
  • Post subject:
Over Currents? I would have to at least listen to Currents again to see if I enjoy it more or less compared to the Slow Head Rush. But if I had a hunch, it might be the Slow Head Rush but it would probably be neck to neck.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/15/2020 00:34
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Over Currents? I would have to at least listen to Currents again to see if I enjoy it more or less compared to the Slow Head Rush. But if I had a hunch, it might be the Slow Head Rush but it would probably be neck to neck.

Ooooooohhhh nice!

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2020 03:06
  • Post subject:
Has is been a while since I listen to a video game soundtrack for the website? Like after Yoshi's Island? Well I've done goof. But we got a good one for today.

Final Fantasy 7

Damn, this was excellent. I want to say the best qualities from this album would be how resonate a lot of these tracks can get. Like I will say that I never had any nostalgia with this game since I'm a Nintendo guy and didn't get to play the Final Fantasy games until they were released for the Nintendo Switch. And I got really close to being done with the game. Though i'm pissed I didn't play the piano early in the game and can't get the special move for Tifa. But back to the music, a lot of the tracks resonate this feeling of being quite homey in design. But I would also argue that a good chunk of these track have this new age vibe to them that while I could make an assertion that the ost has aged a bit compared to other ost's from the 90's or other soundtracks from the 2000's or 2010's, they just hit a certain part of my soul. Like I have to admit, listening to the song Anxious Heart for the first time was definite a mood that I didn't expect quite early in the game. And there are plenty of other tracks that I could list off that I really enjoy but this would clog up posting and I have to go to work for tomorrow. Now for downsides, I would say that not every song resonated with me to the max. Like one of the few songs that got me to wonder why it was this way was the song Trail Of Blood. I could also say that the length is a bit of a turn off if I ever decide to listen to this in full. In chunks, that is not a problem. But the whole way through? No. Otherwise this was an excellent listen. And an essential for video game music. Also don't ask me what my favorite soundtrack is from gaming. Grade:90 and decimal wise it is a 9.4 to a 9.5

I could also listen to both Kirby Dreamland 3 and Mario Kart 64 OST's for this session for 1997.

That will be it for now. Don't think I will be post anything music related since I got work as well as dog sitting for tomorrow.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2020 15:59
  • Post subject:
Well, I'm back. After taking a little break, it is time to go back to albums from 1997. And we have a revisit that I wanted to come back to.

Stereolab-Dots and Loops

Now I do think this is a great album. Hell I would say this was an excellent album. But I feel like I should enjoy this way more than I do right now. And for a bit I was wondering why do I feel like this? And if there was a hypothesis as to why I feel like this, it would probably be due to how both the long tracks at points start to make me feel somewhat bored and start to wonder off, wanting to do other things. But also, on an individual level I feel like this album doesn't go the full mile. It definitely sounds like this album exists in its own little universe. Kinda gives me Katamari vibes. But never goes the full mile to make me lose myself or be completely invested. But I still think this is a magical experience for the year. Probably make my top 100 for the year. Grade is a 90 by decimal range is between an 8.8 to a 9.2. Just depends on how I feel. Next time... Another album from 1997. Maybe new or a revisit.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2020 00:48
  • Post subject:
So I listen to a few albums. Let me see how I will process my thoughts about them.

Deftones-Around the Fur

This was great. The more I go through the top 100 for each year, I always find stuff that I enjoy that I would usually never go to. Metal music was never a strong suit in my listening habits. But this is another album I recommend. Even when, I would argue wasn't the craziest thing ever. There is a part that finds the vibe while quite wild and hedonistic with the lyrical themes, somewhat tamed compared to other heavier metal or no wave albums like the recent Daughters album. Or kinda sounds somewhat similar where it becomes a bit of a challenge to pick a song from another song. Or my big issue, having a lengthy closer that is mostly silence due to being a trend within the 90's. And am quite glad that is over. But I did get a lot of entertainment and feel like I will enjoy this more if I give this a relisten. As of now it is an 80 decimal wise it is a 8.2.

Plaid-Not For Threes

Another great album. There is something about Plaid's albums that compared to there peers that come from the same label, are more quirky with how they make there music. And becomes a benefit but also a hindrance. Compared to the amazing shit that comes from Warp, this is an album that definitely has it's own ecosystem, but is something that goes away after I'm done with. So that means I will give this a relisten at some point. Grade-85 but decimal wise is more of a 8.3

Deftones-Diamond Eyes

Now this record from Deftones was excellent. I don't know if the lyrical themes will keep this in its favor, but the sounds on this were so good. Had this balance with being heavy as well as quite addictive while having a more pristine and welcoming demeanor. It's where the singers vocal delivery just fits like a glove within the sound of this album. Also the covers that make up the bonus tracks were excellent. That Cardigans cover was sick. So this would be a running for one of my favorites for 2010. Grade wise it is a 90. Decimal wise it would be a 9.1 to a 9.2. If I add the bonus tracks, this would be close to a 95 and decimal wise would be a 9.4.

That's it for now.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2020 16:08
  • Post subject:
Sorry for no replies on the diary. Actually went back to participating the canon forum and have at least 5 albums done from tackling Melon's list for the 2010's and got some recent albums from 2020 done as well. Listen to the new Pet Shop Boys album the new Grimes album and the new King Krule album. Don't know when I will go back to dent 1997? Want to get back to that, but I also been denting some video games when new games come out.

For some reviews that I am quite proud of on the canon start on page 202 and I would say my favorite reviews I did at that moment would be for Benji, Plastic Beach and Atrocity Exhibition. Especially the last one, where while that one was somewhat critical, I felt like I had something to say. As well as babyBlueSedan giving a good rebuttal for the album. Can't complain.

For new things I'm excited for in entertainment, that Samurai Jack video game looks sick. Hopefully that game is great because if that becomes a great game with the remaster of Battle For Bikini Bottom releasing this year, I hope that becomes a trend where in the 2020's quality license games become an outlet where you can get your moneys worth with both indie games and games from the big three.

Also while I do have a few caveats, that new Car Seat Headrest single is pretty interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2020 16:59
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Well, I'm back. After taking a little break, it is time to go back to albums from 1997. And we have a revisit that I wanted to come back to.

Stereolab-Dots and Loops

Now I do think this is a great album. Hell I would say this was an excellent album. But I feel like I should enjoy this way more than I do right now. And for a bit I was wondering why do I feel like this? And if there was a hypothesis as to why I feel like this, it would probably be due to how both the long tracks at points start to make me feel somewhat bored and start to wonder off, wanting to do other things. But also, on an individual level I feel like this album doesn't go the full mile. It definitely sounds like this album exists in its own little universe. Kinda gives me Katamari vibes. But never goes the full mile to make me lose myself or be completely invested. But I still think this is a magical experience for the year. Probably make my top 100 for the year. Grade is a 90 by decimal range is between an 8.8 to a 9.2. Just depends on how I feel. Next time... Another album from 1997. Maybe new or a revisit.

I know I am a little late to the party here, but I remember this being my initial impression with Dots and Loops as well. Obviously no pressure, but I'd say revisit it sometime in the future and maybe it will click lol. For me, it was on a warm early summer evening and everything felt right.