That Sinking Feeling

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/17/2011 22:17
  • Post subject: That Sinking Feeling
Some more incoherent rambling from me. Rolling Eyes

Well a few months ago an album called 'Yuck' by a band of the same name was released. It was hyped by a handful of members here as the return of 'Rock and roll' and even a 'revolution'. Naturally I was interested, if you want me to listen to album you're better off throwing those terms around rather than 'post rock', 'post indie punk' or 'post office'. So I went and got my copy. Mostly good stuff. One description I heard was that it sounded like Sonic Youth making catchy songs and that seems correct to me. Not much in the way of 'revolution' or return of rock, just a dozen so decent guitar driven tracks from a new band.

I have been listening to many albums from 2011 since then. As I no longer have a single magazine for music reviews, I rely on this site and Rate Your Music for the new albums. I would pick a random album from near the top 100 and check a track or two or listen on Spotify (only ever used to listen to new albums once these days)

These is something I have noticed about these new albums... but I can't quite put my finger on what. A combination of things. The word 'crystalline' comes to mind. Tame, whispering, high pitched voices. Lyrics not really about anything. And finally, the near absence of a guitar or demotion of it to a keyboard style instrument.

There are some good albums in 2011. However they are either by bands which have been with us for years or the ones mentioned above. For example:

Cults - Cults 70/100
Chilled as a glacier. The vocalist is in a daze throughout. Nothing makes me want to jump up screaming. All I do is remain seated "That sounds pleasant, that to... that's nice, that's nice to." - Best track: Bad Things

Moment Bends - Architecture In Helsinki - 75/100
As a pop album it is brilliant. They have been with us a few years but the first album was a lot more forgettable. Look at the front cover, that gives a very strong indication of what you're getting. If you want a head rush, best not listen. Best track - That Beep

No Witch - The Cave Singers 70/100
More organic instruments. Plods along but the songs are so neatly presented they make inviting pop folk music. Imagine being in the room on the cover as bunch "indie" kids give you presents. They play music as you unwrap them rather than wrapping the guitar around your neck.

Well they are the best of the crop. Much of the rest give similar stories but with much weaker music. For heavier music? Well there is the Foo Fighters doing what they do. Not exactly a new band anymore are they?

Music I'm looking forward to - well there is that Destroyer album and Foster the People. From songs I heard it sounds like it will be the same affairs as above but better (maybe 8/10 material). But I wondering... is it just because of the time. Would I be listening to these musicians if there was more heavier music? Is the icecream to the brain music of 2011 is taking a hold of me? Shocked

I haven't listened to the top 4 yet (although I recently got Pj Harvey). Radiohead, well they are becoming more electronic. In the few things I read about the album I have heard nothing along the lines of "more guitars" or similarities to Pablo Honey or The Bends. Fleet Foxes? First album was a good one. They play more ethereal music than anything close to rock. Some say it is better than the debut. They describe is a musical journey rather than a balls our punch to the face. I'll listen to the album in future though. Bon Iver... well I'm not expecting much there. PJ Harvey? Well the first tracks bored me on that Think

So bringing this full circle, the Yuck album. What has dawned on me about it is this 'revolution', this return to 'Rock and roll'... well it is the use of guitars... it is being loud and not trying to be ironic

It feels to me that as "rock" gets more and more confused with "indie", "indie" music is becoming more and more of a whimper, which in turn is making "rock" get associated with such a thing. And where would this lead us? In 2015 would picking up a guitar be called a 'rock revival'? What would music ideas be like? Will 2018 see ideas like putting down the instruments on stage while swaying to pre recorded music with bright petticoats and fringes that cover their eyes. Music as fashionable as the red berets on their heads.

Hey, it isn't all doom and gloom. Things come and go in cycles right? Maybe there is something big coming Twisted Evil Much less frosty than today*.

* - The ending was terrible, I know. I wrote this all on Friday apart from the last tiny paragraph and came back to realized I had completely lost my train of thought. So yeah... I hadn't a clue how to end it but I really wanted to post it tonight
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2011 23:24
  • Post subject:
I think 2011 has just been a really bad year in general; all the cliches are becoming true. Electronic music and metal are the two most thriving genres, I'm not sure if "rock" as it was once known has been a hugely worthwhile presence since at least the early '00s. Of course, everything is there if you look for it. That's always been true.

And hey, Boris, Battles and Mastodon all came out or are coming out with new albums this year! So it's not all bad Very Happy

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2011 04:53
  • Post subject:
I think Cage the Elephant did a much better job of ripping off Pixies/Nirvana than Yuck did, for whatever that's worth.

Also, Architecture in Helsinki has two previous albums. The first was not forgettable, it was great. The second one was ok, and the one from this year was pretty terrible. That Beep is the only good song, and it was released as a single about three years ago.

This could have all been posted in the active 2011 thread.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
jbarajas

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2011 06:51
  • Post subject:
i would say that only 2 albums would ever be considered in the top 100 of all time in the past 2 years... The Suburbs and Helplessness Blues.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/18/2011 11:22
  • Post subject:
ShaneSpear wrote:
That Beep is the only good song, and it was released as a single about three years ago.

This could have all been posted in the active 2011 thread.

What? Shocked You serious? They put a 3 year old single on an album and I thought it was the best one? Wow!

And I think this deserves a different thread than the 2011 one. I'm aiming for a discussion.
Wombi

• Posted: 07/18/2011 11:32
  • Post subject:
Escapee is easily the best song off Moment Bends anyway.

I don't mind where music is at at the moment, I mean no matter what point in time where at there will always be something for everyone if they're not picky and are willing to delve deep enough. Im not a big fan of the ultra-minamilsm craze that's hit (James Blake et al) so I don't listen to much of it. To be honest 2010 was on e of my favoiurite years for music there's ever been so I don't think music is in a bad place I just think it's in a slump maybe.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/18/2011 21:25
  • Post subject:
jbarajas wrote:
i would say that only 2 albums would ever be considered in the top 100 of all time in the past 2 years... The Suburbs and Helplessness Blues.

Really? For the top 200, maybe the Suburbs, and Helplessness Blues might be in the top 500. Both aren't top 100 material, at all. Ya, they're great albums (95/100) (85/100). But I often think that they still need to stand the test of time a bit more. Kanye's Fantasy is IMO the only album in the past 2 years that deserves top 100 status.

As for this actual thread, quite simply, 2011 hasn't been a very good year for music. And, an_outlaw, check out Destroyer's album. I gave it a 90/100, and think it's fairly original and a great overall album. So far, best of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2011 21:40
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:

What? Shocked You serious? They put a 3 year old single on an album and I thought it was the best one? Wow!

And I think this deserves a different thread than the 2011 one. I'm aiming for a discussion.

Yeah, I have no idea what took them so long to get the album out only for it to be so fucking boring. You should give In Case We Die another try though for reals.

Sorry for bitching at you though. I was/am cranky today/yesterday.

Edit: Also, when I looked up That Beep on wikipedia just now I was reminded they actually have four albums, not three. That usually happens to me when I try to correct someone.

Fingers Crossed n/a
In Case We Die 80/100
Places Like This 70/100
Moment Bends 50/100
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/18/2011 21:59
  • Post subject:
I'm actually making a list, using the british and american charts, of all the rock albums that have gotten to number one in 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000 and 2010 (I don't think it's fair to use 2011 as it hasen't finished yet) to see if what those people who say "rock is deaaaad" is correct.
And so far, they're full of shit. It's not dying, just taking a break.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/18/2011 22:10
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
I'm actually making a list, using the british and american charts, of all the rock albums that have gotten to number one in 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000 and 2010 (I don't think it's fair to use 2011 as it hasen't finished yet) to see if what those people who say "rock is deaaaad" is correct.
And so far, they're full of shit. It's not dying, just taking a break.

Explain further what your doing? And I'm not one of those people who maybe saying something is dead. There is a huge difference between a death and a decline.

What charts are you using? BEA's?