I recommended you

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Captain Spacker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/18/2011 18:34
  • Post subject: I recommended you
I've just started a blog so I can share my favourite things with other people, I put you on there:

Finding good music advice is impossible on the web. Spotify and Lastfm will point out music based on your tastes and critical sites like Kerrang and NME do a good job of telling you about what’s new. Delving into the vast back catalogue of music is a daunting prospect however. This is where some cold, hard math comes into help.
BestEverAlbums averages 2,600 charts from critics and joe public to rank albums. I agree solidly with the chart, even if NIN are a bit too low and Bowie is on it a bit much. The website has other lists though for year and bands, if you’re after a good recommendation it’s worth checking out. Neither does it fall into genre bias either *ahem*RollingStonesMagazine*ahem*
You can easily make your own list and share it, which is always fun for listophiles like myself, and the forums seem friendly enough. Within days of making my list a little discussion had popped up underneath it.
The search doesn't work quite as well you'd like it too and no actual reviews for albums are posted, which is a shame. I can't help but think some dedicated editorials would be nice but that might just be me asking too much.
If anything this site is good for settling music arguments and firmly establishing Radiohead as “not just a band I like”

Just thought I'd share this and see what you think. There's more at: Captain Spacker Recommends (Edit: URL added)
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/18/2011 19:18
  • Post subject:
Ya, just when I thought Rolling Stone couldn't get any worse I looked at their "Best albums of the 80's list/ranking.

To me it's sad because once upon a time Rolling Stone Magazine was actually pretty good and had some awesome interviews from people who wouldn't do interviews with most other magazines. But that train has come off the track IMO.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/18/2011 19:23
  • Post subject:
Hi, thanks for the review. It's always interesting to hear from other people what works and what doesn't and your article seemed well considered.

Just to address a few of the points:

1. What didn't work very well with the search functionality?

2. We don't have reviews as such, but members can assign a rating with an associated comment. Comments tend to be more conversational in tone on BEA, but you can do anything with your comment and members can (and do) post reviews in their comments as well.

3. In terms of an editorial, on BEA the collective opinion of the site is more important than any one person and an editorial could not represent everybody fairly. This is why it doesn't exist.

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2011 01:55
  • Post subject:
I think NIN is rated just fine

Downward Spiral - 159
The Fragile - 391
Pretty Hate Machine - 453
With Teeth - 1,164

Those all seem pretty fair to me. As a matter of fact, I'm impressed that the users here (correctly) have Fragile above PHM.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Captain Spacker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/25/2011 11:57
  • Post subject:
@albummaster When I was composing my list I'd add the title perfectly and it couldn't be found, for everyone I had to use one word and scroll through a hundred albums. Also I absolutely couldn't find With Teeth. Having said that I now doubt it's your site. I was (involuntarily) using IE8 through a server, I just tried searching With Teeth on Google chrome and it worked perfectly, but when I initially tried it was a total nightmare.
I like your reasons for not having editorials but, say, screened manages to do some really stellar articles and keeps the conversation. I see what you mean but about not making elites though.
The album comments button is buried at the bottom and no one uses it, I think it could be better used if it was given more prominence.
Finally @Shane I really love NIN. While I admit I am very bias it feels odd one of my top ten bands doesn't have an album in the top 100. I think Trent is more influential than some give him credit for, the echoey drums cropped up everywhere once he used them and while he certainly didn't create the techniques, he popularised them atleast amongst the metal community. Bands like Metallica and Guns n Roses were heavily impacted and I don't think Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson or Limp Bizkit would be about if it wasn't for him.
[edit] Just searched era vulgaris with the term era vulgaris and couldn't find it despite being spelt perfectly
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/25/2011 14:30
  • Post subject:
If you are searching for an album title from the search page, be sure sure to check the 'album' radio button (otherwise, band names are searched by default). Maybe this needs to be changed...
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 08/01/2011 03:02
  • Post subject:
I just paid for an account at somethingaweful to post in the music section (which is damn weak) to try to get people to come over here. within the first thirty minutes however they're all assholes, which should have been expected from that site
purple

• Posted: 08/01/2011 03:20
  • Post subject:
I just got probated from the site for a few minutes for 'endorsing' this site, so don't expect too many new users. they really are assholes over there
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2011 03:26
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
I just got probated from the site for a few minutes for 'endorsing' this site, so don't expect too many new users. they really are assholes over there

I am guessing the world view of the moderators of that site incorporate a tad more "government control" than yours.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 08/01/2011 03:52
  • Post subject:
they're fucking neo-nazis over there; they deleted my post dedicated to suggesting this site because their music forum is under-developed. I made a final post before being banned to come over here where it is definitely more free. that site is fucking sick in the head