Seminal bands

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 07/21/2011 12:49
  • Post subject: Seminal bands
In regards to strongly influencing later developments; not bodily fluid.

Recently I discovered Crime + The City Solution, a band consisting of Mick Harvey and Rowland S. Howard (another discovery) from The Birthday Party. This term of a seminal band seems to work with The Birthday Party as it led to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds & Crime and the City Solution.

The Bad Seeds consists of many artists globally and are a key band in influencing others. Other Aussie bands like The Triffids, The Go-Betweens, The Saints and The Church all have a similar effect. This relates back to an early thread I created about influential brits website, showing the progression of a handful of 80s bands.

The real core of this post is to see if others have found gems (or lumps of coal) from seminal or influential bands. Crime And The City Solution is one I have found and clung to instantly.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2011 17:42
  • Post subject:
In my view, the artists who have had the greatest influence in terms of the sheer scope and breadth of their work on the most relevant and progressive music of yesterday and today, emerged in the decade from about 1967 to 1977. The influence of artists/bands of the likes of the Velvet Underground, Red Crayola, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Joni Mitchell, David Crosby, Leonard Cohen, Nick Drake, Neil Young, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Can, Faust, Neu, Patti Smith, Television, Pop Group and Talking Heads, is unsurpassed.

There is hardly any credible contemporary artist worth mentioning whose influence could NOT be traced back to these masters. There would be no Saints, Crime and the City Solution, Birthday Party or Nick Cave without Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Pop Group or the Stooges, for instance. Equally, there would be no Go-Between's without Talking Heads or no Church without Pink Floyd or King Crimson.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2011 18:56
  • Post subject:
In that list you can put Kraftwerk. WIthout them, no electornic music practically.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 07/21/2011 19:12
  • Post subject:
Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers.

Link

This song is, no joke, one of the most important in pop music history. They were the first all-teen music group, Lymon was for all intents and purposes the first teenage black pop star, and they influenced everyone from Diana Ross to the Jackson 5 to the Beach Boys and were a cornerstone of Motown's success-Motown Records' founder Berry Gordy actually "built" other bands to sound like them. So much of significant R&B and early rock(and therefore ALL rock) history can be traced back to the chart-smashing success of this one song.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2011 19:45
  • Post subject:
Also, The Sex Pistols.
Just one gig in Manchester inspired Morissey of The SMiths, Ian Curtis,Peter Hook and Bernard Sumner of Joy Division and Mark E Smith of The Fall. Add in the fact that they were the first Punk band to really break out and the influence of their debut album and I say that makes themr ather damn influential.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/21/2011 20:45
  • Post subject:
The Rakes Rolling Eyes
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2011 21:29
  • Post subject:
ALso I'd add Public Enemy: They are probably the most omportant artists in all of rap.
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2011 21:37
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
Also, The Sex Pistols.
Just one gig in Manchester inspired Morissey of The SMiths, Ian Curtis,Peter Hook and Bernard Sumner of Joy Division and Mark E Smith of The Fall. Add in the fact that they were the first Punk band to really break out and the influence of their debut album and I say that makes themr ather damn influential.

I think you overestimate the importance of the Sex Pistols. Their influence is not extensive, nor are they a significant a marker historically as you suggest in the way, for example, the artists I listed are.

First and foremost, Morrissey was influenced by the New York Dolls, as were the Sex Pistols themselves. Mark E Smith was more influenced by the Clash then the Sex Pistols. But of course, his more underlying influences were US garage and proto-punk bands like the Sonics, Monks, MC5 and the Stooges.

As for Joy Division, they were more inspired by Krautrock bands than the Sex Pistols. I mean, Hook's bass-lines are practically from the same page as those from "Negitivland".

So, I'm afraid you are just wrong about that.
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2011 21:41
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
ALso I'd add Public Enemy: They are probably the most omportant artists in all of rap.

Even that is arguable. I would say that Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five are more influential but I agree that is debatable.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2011 21:46
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
itsit wrote:
Also, The Sex Pistols.

I think you overestimate the importance of the Sex Pistols. Their influence is not extensive, nor are they a significant a marker historically as you suggest in the way, for example, the artists I listed are.

First and foremost, Morrissey was influenced by the New York Dolls, as were the Sex Pistols themselves. Mark E Smith was more influenced by the Clash then the Sex Pistols. But of course, his more underlying influences were US garage and proto-punk bands like the Sonics, Monks, MC5 and the Stooges.

As for Joy Division, they were more inspired by Krautrock bands than the Sex Pistols. I mean, Hook's bass-lines are practically from the same page as those from "Negitivland".

So, I'm afraid you are just wrong about that.

I'd argue they are more important than the Pop Group, On all the sites I've been on I never seen them discussed, I see Beefheart, Can and Faust discussed... but not the Pop Group.
  • Visit poster's website