Seminal bands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/21/2011 22:30
  • Post subject:
Um.....

Have we forgotten Black Sabbath & Gil-Scott Heron?
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 07/21/2011 22:34
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
hairymarx1 wrote:
itsit wrote:
In that list you can put Kraftwerk. WIthout them, no electornic music practically.

It goes without saying that Kraftwerk were highly influential...But they can hardly be described as being influential in terms of anything of significance which was the reason I didn't list them. I mean Abba could be described as being influential to some people, but I hope you are not suggesting that in the wider scheme of things they are in any way significant trailblazers?

I myself don't consider either dance-pop, disco music or the more superficial aspect of industrial music significant, which is why Kraftwerk cannot be put in the same category as other Krautrock pioneers.

Yes, they are important in that they were probably the first to create a futuristic vision utilizing pop music. But more importantly, they were NOT (contrary to the myths) the
first set of musicians to use electronic instruments.

Again, in the overall scheme of things, I think you have overstated their importance.

Also, I'm dying to know, what is "anything of significance"?

In the way for example, that artists like Abba, the Sex Pistols, Madonna, Beatles, PJ Harvey or Pulp etc etc are not.

If you are unable to distinguish between an historically significant artist and an insignificant one, then you really ought not to be contributing to a site like this.

Nice dodge: "If you're TOO STUPID to know what I'm talking about then I DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT." Certainly, it's not just that you created your own arbitrary, humorless definition of "real" music when you were younger and are too set in your ways to be able to define it or explain it. It's just that I'm dumb. That makes sens.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2011 22:36
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
hairymarx1 wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
hairymarx1 wrote:
itsit wrote:
In that list you can put Kraftwerk. WIthout them, no electornic music practically.

It goes without saying that Kraftwerk were highly influential...But they can hardly be described as being influential in terms of anything of significance which was the reason I didn't list them. I mean Abba could be described as being influential to some people, but I hope you are not suggesting that in the wider scheme of things they are in any way significant trailblazers?

I myself don't consider either dance-pop, disco music or the more superficial aspect of industrial music significant, which is why Kraftwerk cannot be put in the same category as other Krautrock pioneers.

Yes, they are important in that they were probably the first to create a futuristic vision utilizing pop music. But more importantly, they were NOT (contrary to the myths) the

Again, in the overall scheme of things, I think you have overstated their importance.

In the way for example, that artists like Abba, the Sex Pistols, Madonna, Beatles, PJ Harvey or Pulp etc etc are not.

That doesn't really answer my question.

Yes it does.. It's just you don't like the answer. The notion is of course subjective which was why I added that if you are unable to distinguish between an historically significant artist and an historically insignificant one, then you ought not to be contributing to a site like this.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 07/21/2011 22:39
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
hairymarx1 wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
hairymarx1 wrote:
itsit wrote:

Yes it does.. It's just you don't like the answer. The notion is of course subjective which was why I added that if you are unable to distinguish between an historically significant artist and an historically insignificant one, then you ought not to be contributing to a sight like this. Why is it, that British music fans tend to be so insular in their tastes and outlook?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pot, I'm chilling with Kettle right now, I think you guys would really get along.

Have fun trolling somebody else, you pompous old fart.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2011 22:42
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
hairymarx1 wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
hairymarx1 wrote:
itsit wrote:

If you are unable to distinguish between an historically significant artist and an insignificant one, then you really ought not to be contributing to a site like this.

Nice dodge: "If you're TOO STUPID to know what I'm talking about then I DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT." Certainly, it's not just that you created your own arbitrary, humorless definition of "real" music when you were younger and are too set in your ways to be able to define it or explain it. It's just that I'm dumb. That makes sens.

Nice stereotype. I didn't create an arbitary defintion of "real" music...Is there anything alse you want to falsely attribute to me?
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2011 22:46
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
hairymarx1 wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
hairymarx1 wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
hairymarx1 wrote:
itsit wrote:

Yes it does.. It's just you don't like the answer. The notion is of course subjective which was why I added that if you are unable to distinguish between an historically significant artist and an historically insignificant one, then you ought not to be contributing to a sight like this. Why is it, that British music fans tend to be so insular in their tastes and outlook?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pot, I'm chilling with Kettle right now, I think you guys would really get along.

Have fun trolling somebody else, you pompous old fart.

I edited that last sentence you highlighted prior to you posting it...Not that I would expect a moron like you to notice.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 07/21/2011 23:11
  • Post subject:
Can of worms opened?

Back to the beginning, I understand that bands were influenced by someone before them (in regards to JD influencing Nick Cave, Church etc.), otherwise music would not exist. I guess the other question to ask is whether people have listened to an offshoot of one band and loved them as much as the original.
  • Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 07/21/2011 23:35
  • Post subject:
can
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 07/22/2011 00:00
  • Post subject:
Another important dude: Desmond Dekker.

Link

The guy was the most prominent artist of the brief Rocksteady movement, which would pave the way for reggae as we know it, and he was the first artist to have a 100% Jamaican style that charted significantly in the U.S.

He also did some work later in his career with the Specials, which has no bearing on his influence but is pretty cool.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/22/2011 00:12
  • Post subject:
I believe the names Robert Johnson and Hank Williams need to be briefly mentioned in this thread.
  • Visit poster's website