What our children's children will still listen to?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 07/27/2011 17:45
  • Post subject: What our children's children will still listen to?
Based on the overall bands or album list, which albums/acts do you think will become mostly forgotten once the current generation of amateurs passes the flame on to the next and then on to the next ...

I for myself think that Oasis will become mostly unheard of once the current fans are no longer in the driver seat. I expect the same for many of the top albums/bands that feature so prominently on the NME 's 100 Best Albums Of All Time, albums and acts such as The Stone Roses, My Bloody Valentine, Pixies (though not as sure about this one).

I really wonder what will happen to acts like The Smiths and am particularly curious about whether Jack White has earned his place in the music history books as a main force or as a side note? I suspect he earned his seat but sometimes Rock'n Roll can be a vicious game.

What about Radiohead, Muse or your current favorite band?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/27/2011 18:09
  • Post subject:
The popular acts will be more likely to be heard, such as The Beatles. The really obscure stuff, unless it gets recognized as classics, will probably stay obscure.
  • Visit poster's website
Juan Schwartz

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2011 18:37
  • Post subject:
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:
I for myself think that Oasis will become mostly unheard of once the current fans are no longer in the driver seat. I expect the same for many of the top albums/bands that feature so prominently on the NME 's 100 Best Albums Of All Time, albums and acts such as The Stone Roses, My Bloody Valentine, Pixies (though not as sure about this one).

funny that none of those bands are in your top 50 haha. but really. i'm betting they will most likely be as remembered as many of the bands that are. NME doesn't have as big an influence over people as you think it does, believe me. people aren't just putting them on their charts to be trendy and cool. many users could probably make a case for any of the bands you've mentioned, and they're still influencing up and coming bands today. just because you don't get it doesn't mean they'll be completely forgotten, and just because NME puts them on their top 100 albums list, perhaps in an effort to appear hip, doesn't mean that the only reason people like those bands is because they're cool to like.

but back to the original question. actually.. first one of my own. robert, according to your bea profile, you're 79. shouldn't your children already have children? Laughing

okay. here's what's gonna happen. some people will be listening to old music and some people will be listening to new music. most will listen to both. some people will enjoy pink floyd and others will enjoy the stone roses. simple as.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/27/2011 18:44
  • Post subject:
Most of the big, and I don't mean had a few hits I mean constantly making hits, will still be listened to and talked about by most people. Assuming most people's grandparents started really getting into music around the 50's then the sort of people who were succesful when they were teenagers, Chuck Berry, Elvis and the sort are still famous, obviously elvis much more so but still. And most people still listen to them now.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/27/2011 18:54
  • Post subject:
Me

Laughing

... but seriously, I have some interesting ideas to give to this thread about the artists that do exist today and before. Give me time.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/27/2011 19:47
  • Post subject:
Oh snap.
By the time most of us become grandparents, let's say around 35 years time it'll be 2046.
Assuming most artists die at 85 then pretty much everyone born before 1961 will be gone or retired.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/28/2011 00:17
  • Post subject:
Kamelot will always stand the test of time. Globviously.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/28/2011 12:24
  • Post subject:
They will listen to the trendy music and talk about how this band and that band will be bigger than the Beatles.

Then they will get older and realize, though still not admit, that nobody has been bigger than the Beatles nor better.

As they get older and wiser and everything is not about being cool and trendy anymore they will, as generations before them have, that the music of bands like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Who, and others from the 1960's and 70's was the best and nobody will have many of the top bands from 2000 onward on charts anymore.

But you will for sure still see Beatles and Zeppelin on charts.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/28/2011 13:57
  • Post subject:
If you ask me, there have been quite a few bands better than Rolling Stones.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/28/2011 14:00
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
If you ask me, there have been quite a few bands better than Rolling Stones.

Well, we will see in the future how many of the newer bands make good music and tour to huge crowds for 5 decades Very Happy

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website