Moderation Suggestion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 08/02/2011 15:58
  • Post subject:
The way I see it, if somebody adds an album that is new to the site (and thus without any info), they should be the one most "eager" to update the data (well I know I was when doing my chart for the first time).. But I'm sure that most people don't even realize that they can update it. I guess forcing people to do it when first submitting isn't the best idea, but highlighting (in a way) the possibility of that, should mean that at least some of the users will do the editing.

I said before that I'm not a fan of limiting the number of added new albums, I prefer however the idea of limiting the size of the chart for the new members (or those with lower rank). This should decrease the number of added new albums, and it actually just might mean that those users would become more active on the site (provided they want a bigger chart of course)...

Oh and I've done my share for today (editing a couple of albums), I'll try to make it my daily routine from now on Razz (well, I'll start next week, I won't have access to internet in the next couple of days)
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 08/03/2011 08:35
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:

Limit the amount of new albums some people can add
Perhaps new users could be limited to a smaller chart (say, 50 entries) and gain access to a bigger chart once they have reached a certain points threshold.

I think this one is very important. With the planned updates of decade and yearly charts, these limitations will become essential.

I'm thinking that new users should be limited to only overall charts of sizes 25 or 50. Then once they reach a new rank they can have the next size up, going up in 25s, until they reach 100.
After they have access to a 100 chart, the next rank will unlock decade charts and the rank after that will unlock yearly charts. Idea Something like that.

In combination with everything else you pointed out, moderation will be something nearly every active member will be doing.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/03/2011 08:52
  • Post subject:
Just a thought, in case it may be needed due to the fact that there is an ever increasing amount of BEA members and charts.

Which creates an ever increasing amount of work for Albummaster.

I would suggest maybe having a voluntary paying membership and higher rank that would give these members more options including chart options etc.

Just my opinion but I always favor rewarding as a motivation more than penalizing those who are not as big or interested in something. Such as limiting the chart size of new members. This may turn off new members.

I try to whenever I notice a new member on BEA to rate their chart if they have one or at least say welcome. As with any site you have many people who check out a site and become a member but never return. I would think that we should make an effort to raise the % of members who sign up that keep coming back and interact in the forums etc.

But I have no clue what Albummaster wants for the future of BEA as far as growth.

With growth comes more cost and less "free" time for Albummaster.

In closing I want to add that I personally would have no problem at all paying for my membership. Bea is well worth it as far as I'm concerned Very Happy

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/03/2011 12:38
  • Post subject:
Perhaps, in the future, we could have something where you could 'buy' a rank, but if you want to 'earn' your rank, you still can. This would mean the site would stay free, but some people could pay (if they want). Maybe there could be a special rank for paying members, but other members can still access the same functionality through their contribution etc.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/03/2011 12:41
  • Post subject:
Xavygravy wrote:
I'm thinking that new users should be limited to only overall charts of sizes 25 or 50. Then once they reach a new rank they can have the next size up, going up in 25s, until they reach 100.
After they have access to a 100 chart, the next rank will unlock decade charts and the rank after that will unlock yearly charts. Idea Something like that.

Yes, agree. Just need to think about what the thresholds would be in practice and what functionality becomes available etc. I used to play a lot of RPG games where once you get enough XP, you 'level up' and gain new powers etc. I think this is much the same thing here.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2011 00:53
  • Post subject:
Albummaster, I share your concern for the numerous "new" albums and chart additions. It is obvious many members don't follow your desire to list the best ever albums or the greatest albums ever. It seems that some members want to list only new, rare, or obscure albums. Perhaps they see this site as a place to discover potentially great but unrecognized albums; or a place to try to express their sense of uniqueness.

My personal chart often gets attacked for being not unique, not different and without hidden treasurers. But personally I like that stated mission of attempting to determine the greatest albums of all times and their relative rank.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 08/04/2011 13:26
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:

Limit the amount of new albums some people can add
Perhaps new users could be limited to a smaller chart (say, 50 entries) and gain access to a bigger chart once they have reached a certain points threshold.

I think we should only allow users x 'new' albums within their chart. Then, once the chart is submitted, they should not be able to edit their chart to include *another batch* of new albums within a certain time period (say 7 days). (I think some people do this already to build up the database here, but it's completely unnecessary.) I'm not suggesting people can't edit their chart within that time period, just that they can't add any more new albums if they have reached a certain threshold.

I think some kind of throttling is also necessary to prevent 'flooding' of the system (e.g. a user today who added about 50 new albums within their chart which took about four hours to sort out and still isn't finished) (why any of the current 20,000 albums isn't enough to choose from, I don't know Wink )

If I wasn't teaching English to bone-idle students, I would have helped to sort them out.

I agree that new albums can flood the system but how to enforce a restriction is an interesting prospect. Almost something like a handful per year for the last 5 years and only premium members able to have more?

However, the previous comment by RFNAPLES I disagree with. If we didn't have variety, the site would be boring. I have discovered new bands and albums from visiting this site and that's because not everyone has the same opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/04/2011 19:28
  • Post subject:
no problem, a few changes over the past couple of days have helped spread the load a bit.

yes, I think variety is important, but I also think it is important that the site highlights the canon (for want of a better word).

I think first time visitors should quickly be able to pick out the top selections, whilst there should also be plenty of nuggets to find for the more knowledgeable listeners as well.

I think we are serving multiple audiences and hopefully can provide something for each.

In terms of capping the number of 'new' selections, I think we can cover that off with tiered membership. Newer members could have restrictions over how many times they can re-submit their chart and will start off with a smaller-sized chart than senior members.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 08/04/2011 21:53
  • Post subject:
To make moderation that little bit easier, could you have a box next to 'tracks' where we enter how many tracks there are in total, and that amount automatically appears below (rather than having to click 'add a track' over and over).

Thanks.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 08/04/2011 21:57
  • Post subject:
Also, are you sure there isn't just a way to extract the data from sites like amazon.com?
  • Visit poster's website