• Post subject:
Yep. Identical charts.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/18/2011 04:24
  • Post subject:
Jhereko and Purple are like an old married couple.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/18/2011 09:02
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
When I was 1 year-old, my father bought Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness. My first memories are of listening to that album. It was wonderful. Still my favourite album to this day.

My dad was fundamentally opposed to children's music, so I pretty much listened to whatever he listened to growing up. The Smiths, Jane's Addiction, Andrew Lloyd Webber, The Cure, Genesis, Les Miserables, Run-DMC, Jesus & Mary Chain, David Bowie, The Tragically Hip, Queen, The Clash, The Cars, Boney M, Cat Stevens, XTC and the early White Stripes to name a few that I remember prominently...

I've said this before but your dad has got awesome taste!! Very Happy
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 08/18/2011 14:11
  • Post subject:
How did I get into music Think

oh yeah, I remember! Back in '04 I heard the song "One More Time" by Daft Punk on the radio. I wanted to listen to it again so I went to Barnes & Noble (of all places) so see if they had it on CD. They did Very Happy So I listened to that Discovery cd until it started to skip. Then I got introduced to other electronic artists, like DJ Shadow, Chemical Brothers, and The Crystal Method. Then I got into The Flaming Lips, finding out about them by a song they were featured in by The Chemical Brothers. And my love of rock took off from there.
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 03/06/2012 15:59
  • Post subject:
I became a massive Beatles fan when i first watched Hard day's night in the TV and then I got all their albums on vinyl, that was when I was 9 years old. Music has a very important role in my family because every second person in my family is a piano teacher, or a pioneer in electronic music/componist in my country, or just a musical genius so I was grown up with good (mostly classical) music.

So I also played the piano and was sent to competitions etc. Unfortunately I stopped playing the piano at the age of 12 because I hated practising (with my teacher AND my mother) and then I had few "bad years" when I listened to tooo much pop music (end of 90s, early 00s). Those were the dark years in my life lol.

Then I realised I need music. Very good music.

I began to listen to more sixties music, later I have bought 1-2 CDs and fell in love with early Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, and many more sixties bands, and later progressive rock bands. That was about 8-9 years ago...

That's my story.
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 03/06/2012 16:19
  • Post subject:
14/12/06
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 03/06/2012 16:20
  • Post subject:
TracyJacks wrote:
I became a massive Beatles fan when i first watched Hard day's night in the TV and then I got all their albums on vinyl, that was when I was 9 years old. Music has a very important role in my family because every second person in my family is a piano teacher, or a pioneer in electronic music/componist in my country, or just a musical genius so I was grown up with good (mostly classical) music.

So I also played the piano and was sent to competitions etc. Unfortunately I stopped playing the piano at the age of 12 because I hated practising (with my teacher AND my mother) and then I had few "bad years" when I listened to tooo much pop music (end of 90s, early 00s). Those were the dark years in my life lol.

I began to listen to more sixties music, later I have bought 1-2 CDs and fell in love with early Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, and many more sixties bands, and later progressive rock bands. That was about 8-9 years ago...

That's my story.

Shocked We have a LOT in common.

I'm currently studying classical piano at a music conservatory. I wouldn't say I'm more than a mediocre pianist though, mainly due to technical problems (for about seven years Sad ), but I'm working on it.

My story is this: I didn't really like the music my friends were listening to, which lead me to classical music. I was listening pretty much exclusively to that up until a couple of years ago, when I discovered Radiohead, and decided to find out if there was more enjoyable music outside the classical world. So I was listening to music from the last decade or so, and sure, there was some nice music, but I found most of it to be crap. So I was almost ready to give up on non-classical music, when I "discovered" the 60's and the 70's (mainly pop from the former and prog from the latter).

When I've found out what music I like in rock music (and jazz eventually, I assume), I'm going to dedicate the rest of my life to exploring the endless amount of unbelievable music, referred to as "classical", and hopefully play a small fraction of it aswell.
  • Visit poster's website
dfulfo01

Canada

• Posted: 03/06/2012 17:00
  • Post subject:
my story is a little odd.

my parents never listened to music or radio of any kind. My mom played piano for the worship band at our local church. That was my entire exposure to music until grade 9.

In grade 9 my parents got me an iPod at my request, and my friend put on it 4 songs.
Jesus Walks - Kanye West
Pieces - Sum 41
Santa Monica - Theory of a Deadman
Give It All - Rise Against

I loved everyone of those songs and they were all i knew. But my parents listened to Jesus Walks and weren't overly impressed so i lost my iPod.

But I wanted more music! so i raided the internet, specifically this site called purevolume where i could listen to music from all sorts of bands, mostly independent or samplers. However to please my parents i stuck primarily to christian rock. within a year I knew everything about christian rock and had over 50 cds.

this was what i listened to throughout High School. My favourites were The Classic Crime and Switchfoot.

In grade 12 my girlfriend introduced me to the arcade fire, sufjan stevens and vampire weekend and my world was changed. She let me borrow her cds and i would drive around town just to listen to them over and over.
But it wasn't until one night on purevolume that i came a cross a free mix. I was listening through it and it was nothing special until I heard the most incredible thing I have ever heard. Skinny Love rang in my head and gave me shivers up and down. I played it 36 times that night.

It was at that point my world opened I wanted more. If music could be that incredible it was all i wanted. I learned how to play guitar, drums, piano and anything i could in the next few years. I learned of bands like Beirut and fleet foxes and just haven't stopped since.

My cd collection is now close to 400 and it seems like it growing weekly.
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 03/06/2012 17:13
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
TracyJacks wrote:

That's my story.

Shocked We have a LOT in common.

I'm currently studying classical piano at a music conservatory. I wouldn't say I'm more than a mediocre pianist though, mainly due to technical problems (for about seven years Sad ), but I'm working on it.

My story is this: I didn't really like the music my friends were listening to, which lead me to classical music. I was listening pretty much exclusively to that up until a couple of years ago, when I discovered Radiohead, and decided to find out if there was more enjoyable music outside the classical world. So I was listening to music from the last decade or so, and sure, there was some nice music, but I found most of it to be crap. So I was almost ready to give up on non-classical music, when I "discovered" the 60's and the 70's (mainly pop from the former and prog from the latter).

When I've found out what music I like in rock music (and jazz eventually, I assume), I'm going to dedicate the rest of my life to exploring the endless amount of unbelievable music, referred to as "classical", and hopefully play a small fraction of it aswell.

We really do have! Shocked

Please don't give up studying piano/playing piano! If you like it, DON'T GIVE UP. I didn't like it and I gave up and I was told that I'm going to regret it. And they were right.

That's so great that you discovered 60s and 70s music too. I think sooner or later you would have discovered non-classical classic rock (hehe) anyway, because people who are really interested in good music, they are constantly searching for/they are open for good music because they need it.
Oh and yes, I can understand how is it like when friends listen to very crap music. I was really suffering that everyone was listening to Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys (girls) Aqua and Scooter (boys) in my class, I felt like an alien in the class/among friends.
  • Visit poster's website
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 03/06/2012 17:36
  • Post subject:
Years 0-6: The Beatles - my dad was a huge beatles fan, had (and still has) all the original 45's & L.P.s, they were always playing on car journeys. Dire Straits played a concert that was televised on TV which I recorded, and i would also spend all my time watching that...
Years 7-10: 'American Grafitti' was (and still is) my fav. movie, i had the soundtrack on cassette and would listen to it endlessly. Found a Beach Boys 'Greatest Hits' double vinyl album amongst my parents records which i kept as my own and listened to when they weren't around (i wasn't allowed to touch their stereo!)
Years 11-12: Unfortunately for me it was 1988-89 so i caught the tale-end of the hair metal craze that was doing the rounds at school - Poision, Warrant, Def Leppard - at least it wasn't NKOTB or Bros tho! I also got my proper first albums for christmas on cassette: Inxs-X, AC/DC-Razors Edge & Faith No More-The Real Thing.
Years 13-14: Grunge came and saved mine, and everyone else's taste in music: Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP, Soundgarden, STP, Nirvana. I was also really into Van Halen as well...
Years 15-17: Still listened to all the Grunge/Alternative acts, but really started getting into Hip Hop in a big way - Souls Of Mischief, Del, Digable Planets, De La Soul, Gangstar, Guru...also developed a Jazz interest as well.
Years 18-23: Continued with all of the above, but after Mellon Collie came out, my main listen for the next few years was the Pumpkins. Also saw Pearl Jam play a few times, and while i was playing in a band, developed an addiction for R.E.M. as well....
Years 24-25: Arrived in UK, i felt that generally music - Rock/alternative and Hip Hop in particular - was kind of stagnant with nothing interesting really around. Starting buying ridiculous amounts of CDs - reading a lot of Music press and listening to genres of music i hadn't before - Funk, Electronic, D&B
Years 25-26: White Stripes, Strokes, BRMC were big and finally music was really exciting and interesting again. Went to a lot of concerts/festivals and generally if a band was playing somewhere, i'd go see them.
Years 27-now: started broading my music tastes more. Started listening to a lot more classic albums and artists from previous decades. Started searching out a lot of new artists as well that were a bit more underground. Discovered Black Keys around 2004, and developed a huge love of blues and started buying a lot of old artists (Eddie Cochrane, Rolling Stones back catalogue, Elvis, BB King to name a few). Still searching out classic and influential artists that i had heard of, but had never heard any of their music (Patti Smith, Stray Cats, Alice Cooper, Allman Brothers Band, Big Star, Joni Mitchell). I don't search out new music as much anymore, but keep up with latest releases from artists i like....