Your story with music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2012 17:44
  • Post subject:
My Dad listened to a ton of Led Zeppelin when I was very young. By about the age of 7 they were my favorite band, and I would listen to them non stop, the entire catalogue. So I started with the best. Then I just got into the rest of my favorite bands over time and exposure from older cousins mostly.

My Dad also had Ten by Pearl Jam in his collection, so I have him to credit for Pearl Jam as well.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/07/2012 14:05
  • Post subject:
I was 11 when I fell in love with music. Before that, I didn't even listen to music that much. My only supply was film musicals, whatever music I could fine in other films and such.

Then I found the 1001 series. You know, this series of books about 1001 things which you must do before you die. So there was this particular book in the series about songs, and I became interested in it. So I looked up the list on Listology and found that about that only songs I had listened to before were, predictably, Over the Rainbow, Singin' in the Rain, and Hound Dog in part (there may have been others, but I don't know). I'd heard of some of the bands before, like The Beatles, John Lennon, and....I guess, a few others too.

So here I am, and I choose Smells Like Teen Spirit and Johnny B. Goode for listening first. I find them on Youtube, start Teen Spirit first..............and it's amazing. Johnny B. Goode is also pretty good.

After this, I know I've found two of my fave songs: Teen Spirit.

Then I hear some others, like Respect, Bohemian Rhapsody, All the Young Dudes and Rock Lobster. (I also got pretty near to listening to BIG EYED BEANS FROM VENUS at that time. I don't know why, but I didn't listen to it. I didn't even search for it on Youtube. I think I was busy doing something else.)

And then I discover another list: RS's 500 Greatest Songs. I feel great. Not only have I found a whole list of 1001 great songs, now I also know the GREATEST ever. And I quickly listen to the top two songs.

Like a Rolling Stone instantly replaces Teen Spirit for best song. And I keep discovering more and more songs, and then I also become interested in the 1001 Albums and RS 500 Greatest Albums lists. And then I find this website. And then.............

The rest is history. A year ago I wouldn't have called myself even a casual music listener. I liked only movies and books.

Now I am a music fan too.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 03/07/2012 14:23
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
I was 11 when I fell in love with music. Before that, I didn't even listen to music that much. My only supply was film musicals, whatever music I could fine in other films and such.

Then I found the 1001 series. You know, this series of books about 1001 things which you must do before you die. So there was this particular book in the series about songs, and I became interested in it. So I looked up the list on Listology and found that about that only songs I had listened to before were, predictably, Over the Rainbow, Singin' in the Rain, and Hound Dog in part (there may have been others, but I don't know). I'd heard of some of the bands before, like The Beatles, John Lennon, and....I guess, a few others too.

So here I am, and I choose Smells Like Teen Spirit and Johnny B. Goode for listening first. I find them on Youtube, start Teen Spirit first..............and it's amazing. Johnny B. Goode is also pretty good.

Then I hear some others, like Respect, Bohemian Rhapsody, All the Young Dudes and Rock Lobster. (I also got pretty near to listening to BIG EYED BEANS FROM VENUS at that time. I don't know why, but I didn't listen to it. I didn't even search for it on Youtube. I think I was busy doing something else.)

And then I discover another list: RS's 500 Greatest Songs. I feel great. Not only have I found a whole list of 1001 great songs, now I also know the GREATEST ever. And I quickly listen to the top two songs.

Like a Rolling Stone instantly replaces Teen Spirit for best song. And I keep discovering more and more songs, and then I also become interested in the 1001 Albums and RS 500 Greatest Albums lists. And then I find this website. And then.............

The rest is history. A year ago I wouldn't have called myself even a casual music listener. I liked only movies and books.

You should learn an instrument or something. Maybe you're a wonderchild

Boo hoo!
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/07/2012 14:25
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:

You should learn an instrument or something. Maybe you're a wonderchild

Boo hoo!

Probably harmonica or something. We will see.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 09/23/2012 10:36
  • Post subject:
This is an interesting old thread. My story is pretty simple: my mother's Dylan Tapes-"Killing me Softly"-The White Stripes-Funeral-first time hearing Joy Division-my first punk rock show-learning bass-first time hearing Tom Waits-going to a hilary hahn recital-working night shift with headphones permanently attached to my ears-hearing another green world-getting stuck in a small town for a few months-learning violin- to whereever the hell I am now.

• Posted: 09/23/2012 10:47
  • Post subject:
I grew up on Dylan and the Grateful Dead and old punk and reggae records, via my dad. Then I became friends with people in Year 8 (age 12-13) who used to smoke weed and watch Channel U. Got into grime through that. First CD I bought was the Space Jam OST when I was 6. When I was 11, my dad took me to a record fair (remember them?) and bought me three CDs for my birthday: Hybrid Theory (Linkin Park), The Blueprint (Jay-Z), Hot Shot (Shaggy). I understand this isn't chronological. Started playing guitar when I was 13 too, which obviously leads you in all sorts of directions. Fuck knows, I'm just a boss. Fishscale (GFK) got me into hip-hop, but I couldn't really say why I bought that. Reviews maybe. Fuck knows, I'm just a boss.
Saoirse

• Posted: 09/23/2012 10:49
  • Post subject:
Oh I remember "Mr. Bombastic" all too well, used to stay up late so I could catch that music video, as well as the one for "Gangsta's Paradise". And Skee-Lo! Aww, the mid 90s

• Posted: 09/23/2012 10:59
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
Oh I remember "Mr. Bombastic" all too well, used to stay up late so I could catch that music video, as well as the one for "Gangsta's Paradise". And Skee-Lo! Aww, the mid 90s

I remember all three of those. 'Gangsta's Paradise' was my shit back in the day. There was also a Coolio motivational jam called 'The Winner' from the Space Jam soundtrack which I LOVED. Found out later it sampled The Impressions' 'We're A Winner'. I've said it many times, but Curtis is up there with Dylan and Ghostface in my books. As for Shaggy, Hot Shot was the album with 'Angel' and 'It Wasn't Me' and 'Dance and Shout' on it. That was my shiiiiiit. I'm not going to prove it, but trust me when I say I can do a banging Shaggy impression. After a few drinks.
thejoj96

• Posted: 09/23/2012 21:55
  • Post subject:
Once upon a time a man fucked a water bottle. This created the universe. The man who fucked a water bottle revealed himself to be Albummaster, who then created the internet. The water bottle became Abraham Lincoln who traveled in a time machine to 2009. He gave me beloved records. I loved all of them. He then traveled back in time to the Civil War when Americans fought over Mexicans in the Middle East. That is my story with music.

• Posted: 09/24/2012 00:44
  • Post subject:
Music was everywhere when I was a kid... so I can't really pin it one single person or event (although it definitely WASN'T anything to do with my mum or dad)

Here are some of the ones I think I owe the most to..

My brother was on the first wave of the punk scene back in the mid 70s and had lots of cool punk mates. They all used to congregate round our house and listen to their records. I loved the wall of noise and the bad attitude!!
(and so began a life time of sneering at ignorant lesser musical beings Very Happy ).

The Jamaican dope dealers on the end of our terrace. They turned their house into speakers and constantly blasted out Dub and Ska. I always wished Denz was my dad, so thought if I got into the music it might make it so (it didn't)
(and so began a lifetime of wishing I was something that I am not Brick wall )

Tony Wilson and 'So It Goes' (and by extension some of the great TV shows of the late 70s/early 80s - OGWT, Tube, John Peel's radio show to name a few). Prime Time telly with my brother and his punk mates - -turned me onto how much dark music lurked in the corners of a once great industrial city and how happy it made me.
(and so began a lifetime of finding generally perceived miserable stuff as happy and uplifting Confused )

Ash, my first boyfriend - older than me and infinitely cooler - He brought a lot of the recognised classics into our teenage love nest. Together we went on our own musical journey. We soaked up everything we could lay our hands (not as easy back then pre-internet). It was all about the music, the bands, the experience...
(and so began a lifetime of ... nah lets not go there Wink)

Ah there were no doubt heaps more.

An even cursory glance at any of my charts will give you some idea of how many influences there were on my young mind (as well as the more recent influences on the old mind).

The comments are kind of my way of saying thanks! Very Happy