Best Black Sabbath album (studio)

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What is the best Black Sabbath album?
Volume 4
6%
 6%  [3]
Technical Ecstasy
0%
 0%  [0]
Black Sabbath
18%
 18%  [8]
The Eternal Idol
0%
 0%  [0]
Paranoid
34%
 34%  [15]
Mob Rules
0%
 0%  [0]
Dehumanizer
0%
 0%  [0]
Sabotage
0%
 0%  [0]
Heaven And Hell
16%
 16%  [7]
Born Again
0%
 0%  [0]
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
6%
 6%  [3]
Master Of Reality
16%
 16%  [7]
Total Votes : 43

GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/20/2011 21:24
  • Post subject: Best Black Sabbath album (studio)
Which Black Sabbath Album is the best. I did not include any live albums nor could I fit them all into the poll. But IMO these are their 12 best albums.

PLEASE do not turn this into a NON- Black Sabbath thread, nor a Let's talk about GARY thread.

For there are people who I'm sure would love to talk about their favorite Sabbath album.

And anything having to do with Black Sabbath.

Which vocalist was Black Sabbath's best one, etc.

Let the battle commence Twisted Evil

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Please vote

Thank you Very Happy

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/20/2011 21:28
  • Post subject:
Paranoid.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 08/20/2011 22:42
  • Post subject:
Volume 4:
Might be my favorite. It is entertaining with Tomorrow's World and Wheels Of Confusion while being surprising with the experimentation of Changes and Laguna Sunrise. I mean I wouldn't have thought they had it in them to do Laguna Sunrise. The rest of the album pulls together nicely and gets the work done without staying to long.

9/10

Technical Ecstasy:

Much different album yet retains a familiar sound. You Won't Change Me is the best song and 'It's Alright' is wonderful too. Very good album overall!

7/10

Black Sabbath:

The debut. The title song is one of my favorite by them. It has something that I want to hear more in music, ideas which are put to great use. The moment it speeds up is great and I am able to play it on guitar too! The Wizard and Evil Woman track are other highlights. An album well worth listening too!

7/10

Paranoid:

Well it has War Pigs, Iron Man and Paranoid. Much of the songs are long and feel epic despite not crashing past the 10 minute mark. If you can get a good pair of earphones or headphones, listen to War Pigs. With no background noise that song becomes some feat. Now that I mention it go back to 'Black Sabbath' the track and do the same! Anyway, back to the album. Yeah, Planet Caravan is nice but not something I would listen to on its own. Electric Funeral is a favorite. Hand of Doom is gloom. Rat Salad comes and goes and that last song, whatever it is called, is not bad either.

9/10

Mob Rules

Sign of the Southern Cross is good. The rest of the album is good with few exceptions. Recorded Heaven and Hell again which was a good album so I guess this one is good too. Treading water comes to mind.

7/10

Dehumanizer

Very heavy album which I have to refamilize myself with. If you only listened to Paranoid this one will surprise you... well if you only listened to Paranoid you might want to check out some of the early stuff first. Best song: TV Crimes

7/10

Sabotage

This album swings from high to low to high again. One song could be a Black Sabbath gem and the next a dud which is left hidden in the back catalogue for a reason. But what is here makes this a very good album. Hole in The Sky is well worth a listen. 3-4 minute Black Sabbath style song there. The progression of Symptom Of The Universe is good and love the guitar there. Am I Going Insane (Radio) is the other big highlist here.

7/10

Heaven And Hell

Neon Nights makes this album! Starts it off on the right foot, one which says "Yes, we are recording music and we will do as we please." Great lyrical content too. Heaven and Hell and Die Young are highlights. Great music and great album! Ozzy's vocals sure sound different though... was he clean or something?

8/10

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

I very recently got this on CD and I had a proper look at the cover and bloody hell! It sure doesn't look like that from distance. Mad stuff! Title track, A National Acrobat and Who Are You? are highlights. This is where Black Sabbath experiment with different patturns and complex sounds. Took a lot of talent to record some of the music on this album.

8/10

Master Of Reality

DUN DUN... DER DER DER DUN, DER DUN DUN

DUN DUN... DER DER DER DUN, DER DUN DUN

After Forever and Children Of The Grave are fantastic too. An album which concentrates more on being a collection of great songs rather than a fantasy piece of art work. Great album overall

8/10

The Eternal Idol and Born Again

N/A

Haven't listened to either. No one has bigged them up and they are way far down the overall chart. Got too much other albums I want to listen to right as well. Who knows, I may be missing one of Black Sabbath's best lol

In conclusion:

I really don't know what to vote for. I'll see how the poll goes before casting anything.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/20/2011 22:44
  • Post subject:
Well. My knowledge of Black Sabbath consists of 4 albums...

But, their s/t remains my favourite Smile , so that it shall be!
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/20/2011 22:51
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:

Heaven And Hell

Nays Great music and great album! Ozzy's vocals sure sound different though... was he clean or something?

[

Ozzy was kicked out of Black Sabbath at the time. He does not sing any songs on Heaven and Hell.

The reason the vocals on Heaven and Hell are so different is because they were all done by

Ronnie James Dio.

• Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 08/20/2011 22:54
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:

Heaven And Hell

Nays Great music and great album! Ozzy's vocals sure sound different though... was he clean or something?

[

Ozzy was kicked out of Black Sabbath at the time. He does not sing any songs on Heaven and Hell.

The reason the vocals on Heaven and Hell are so different is because they were all done by

Ronnie James Dio.

I know I know Razz lol
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/20/2011 22:58
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
GARY wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:

Heaven And Hell

[

Ronnie James Dio.

I know I know Razz lol

I knew that you did, I was just making sure that people knew that was a joke Very Happy

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/20/2011 23:09
  • Post subject:
I voted for the album that I have at #8 on my chart. EVERY song on the album is a masterpiece. Very Happy

This was a huge moment for Black Sabbath because everybody was like "where is Ozzy" and "Black Sabbath is gonna suck now dude"

Then, a lot of people like myself, dropped the needle on Heaven and Hell and when the first song, Neon knights, came roaring out of the speakers.

Our jaws hit the floor, we sat there stunned and amazed, and then smiled.

DIO brought Black Sabbath back to life and then some when he joined Sabbath, and the rest of the songs are also great.

Link

• Visit poster's website
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2011 23:41
  • Post subject:
Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath is my very favorite album by my very favorite band. I believe it to be their most artistic achievement. The addition of synthesizers gave it a more orchestral feel. It was almost as if Phil Specter came in and said, "Okay, guys...remember what the Beatles' Abbey Road sounded like? Yeah? Well, I can make this new heavy metal stuff you're making sound just as good."

Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath has the power and attitude of heavy rock and molten metal...however, it has the complexity and the grandiose ambitions of the progressive rock of that era.

A lot of Black Sabbath fans weren't keen on the introduction of synthesizers. A lot said that the addition of keyboards also killed Van Halen. However, I really believe that the addition of the syth allowed them to create more breadth to their sound. They'd already gone as far as they could go with depth. Rolling Stone magazine (yeah...it's okay...you can roll your eyes when their name is brought up) once describe their sound as a dinosaur trapped in a tar pit. Well, maybe. But, with the album, the dinosaur in the tar pit sprouted leathery wings and breathed fire. "Spiral Architect" is my favorite from the album. Heck, the song is almost an album unto itself.

The album released after Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage, continued on this synth-driven ambition and is almost it's equal (in my opinion, of course). Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die are also very strong (though, not always as adored by metal fans who don't like the genre to exceed beyond guitars and drums...turned up to eleven, of course).
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/20/2011 23:45
  • Post subject:
Captain_Dude wrote:
Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath is my very favorite album by my very favorite band. I believe it to be their most artistic achievement. The addition of synthesizers gave it a more orchestral feel. It was almost as if Phil Specter came in and said, "Okay, guys...remember what the Beatles' Abbey Road sounded like? Yeah? Well, I can make this new heavy metal stuff you're making sound just as good."

Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath has the power and attitude of heavy rock and molten metal...however, it has the complexity and the grandiose ambitions of the progressive rock of that era.

A lot of Black Sabbath fans weren't keen on the introduction of synthesizers. A lot said that the addition of keyboards also killed Van Halen. However, I really believe that the addition of the syth allowed them to create more breadth to their sound. They'd already gone as far as they could go with depth. Rolling Stone magazine (yeah...it's okay...you can roll your eyes when their name is brought up) once describe their sound as a dinosaur trapped in a tar pit. Well, maybe. But, with the album, the dinosaur in the tar pit sprouted leathery wings and breathed fire. "Spiral Architect" is my favorite from the album. Heck, the song is almost an album unto itself.

The album released after Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage, continued on this synth-driven ambition and is almost it's equal (in my opinion, of course). Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die are also very strong (though, not always as adored by metal fans who don't like the genre to exceed beyond guitars and drums...turned up to eleven, of course).

What do you think about the Sabbath albums made without Ozzy Captain_Dude?

• Visit poster's website