Which is better: The Beach Boys or The Beatles?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which is better in your opinion?
The Beach Boys
34%
 34%  [13]
The Beatles
65%
 65%  [25]
Total Votes : 38

DJTommy

• Posted: 08/11/2017 20:55
  • Post subject: Which is better: The Beach Boys or The Beatles?
I personally prefer The Beach Boys to The Beatles. I think that what the group did on Pet Sounds beats any album The Beatles ever put out. And I also think it's just as influential. Revolver put pop/rock in all sorts of new directions and was also a milestone in music production (the latter you can give George Martin the credit for), but Pet Sounds really paved the way for what pop/rock could be and can be called the first art pop/rock album. I do love both bands, but I prefer Pet Sounds to all of The Beatles' discography because it's just more beautiful and, what should I say? Magical? I just feel allot more listening to Pet Sounds than The Beatles can ever make me feel. The arrangements with the harmonies and the orchestration and all that is just unmatched by The Beatles. I can't think of a Beatles song that is more beautiful than The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows". Maybe "Strawberry Fields Forever" might be up there in beautiful arrangements, but it doesn't have the same emotion.

But there's one major problem: This magic didn't last long. Mostly because Brian Wilson had everyone against him: The rest of the band, the management etc. And he also started suffering from mental problems. Not to say that they didn't put out good music after Pet Sounds, because they did. But I believe that if they had at least put out Smile in 1967, their legacy would have been different. The Smile Sessions, which was released in 2011 is absolutely amazing! And their early discography has some catchy songs, but is hard to take very seriously as a great work of art. The Beatles just have a steadier discography and is for that reason held in higher regard.

Now you might come with the argument that The Beatles' Rubber Soul influenced The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, but I think that all music must have been inspired by something, and The Beach Boys really took that inspiration an turned it into their own original thing. One must remember that The Beatles also had their inspirations, like Bob Dylan on Rubber Soul (the album that inspired Pet Sounds) and The Beach Boys themselves on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

TL;DR: Though both are about equally as important, I think The Beach Boys' music and arrangements are better and more beautiful, but The Beatles' discography is steadier and because of that they're held in higher regard.

So what do you think? If you have any good arguments please post them below.

Last edited by DJTommy on 08/11/2017 23:05; edited 4 times in total
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2017 21:01
  • Post subject:
How about our friend Franz Liszt?
DJTommy

• Posted: 08/11/2017 21:20
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:

I spent all this time making this post and then you do this to me Crying or Very sad
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2017 21:47
  • Post subject: Re: Which is better: The Beach Boys or The Beatles?
DJTommy wrote:
I personally prefer The Beach Boys to The Beatles. I think that what the group did on Pet Sounds beats any album The Beatles ever put out. And I also think it's just as influential. Revolver put pop/rock in all sorts of new directions and was also a milestone in music production (the latter you can give George Martin the credit for), but Pet Sounds really paved the way for what pop/rock could be and can be called the first art pop/rock album. I do love both band, but I prefer Pet Sounds to all of The Beatles discography because it's just more beautiful and, what should I say? Magical? I just feel allot more listening to Pet Sounds than The Beatles can ever make me feel. The arrangements with the harmonies and the orchestration and all that is just unmatched by The Beatles. I can't think of a Beatles song that is more beautiful than The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows". Maybe "Strawberry Fields Forever" might be up there in beautiful arrangements, but it doesn't have the same emotion.

But there's one major problem: This magic didn't last long. Mostly because Brian Wilson had everyone against him: The rest of the band, the management etc. And he also started suffering from mental problems. Not to say that they didn't put out good music after Pet Sounds, because they did. But I believe that if they had at least put out Smile in 1967, their legacy would have been different. The Smile Sessions, which was released in 2011 is absolutely amazing! And their early discography has some catchy songs, but is hard to take very seriously as a great work of art. The Beatles just have a steadier discography and is for that reason held in higher regard.

Now you might come with the argument that The Beatles' Rubber Soul influenced The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, but I think that all music must have been inspired by something, and The Beach Boys really took that inspiration an turned it into their own original thing. One must remember that The Beatles also had their inspirations, like Bob Dylan on Rubber Soul (the album that inspired Pet Sounds) and The Beach Boys themselves on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

TL;DR: Though both are about equaIly as important, I think The Beach Boys' music and arrangements are better and more beautiful, but The Beatles discography is steadier and because of that they're held in higher regard.

I love The Beach Boys, but there's so much mythology surrounding them now. like the idea you mentioned that they stopped being good because everyone was against Brian Wilson and he was just prevented from being great by all these other bad people who were supposedly intent on blocking his talent. Well, he got rid of all these supposed adversaries, but he didn't suddenly return to making great music. the truth is, like everyone else, your creativity just tends to dry up after a decade or so. this is pretty much the rule in pop music. very few people are making the same quality of music 10 years after their breakthrough. There's also the tendency of music fans to mythologize musicians who had mental health or drug problems, as if these things were the source of their talent. Rock stars who had drug or mental health issues or died very young are always given lots and lots of bonus points.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/11/2017 21:47
  • Post subject:
Overall, I'd say The Beatles, but it's pretty darn close. I don't feel the gap between them is as large as their reputations suggest.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/11/2017 21:50
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:

I'm not in on the joke between you guys, but Liszt was a vastly superior artist and composer to either of them, even if nowadays he'd decisively lose such a poll (with the general public).
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2017 22:05
  • Post subject:
Easily The Beatles. And I worship The Beach Boys. Revolver's just as good as Pet Sounds. Besides Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys did not make any other iconic albums whereas The Beatles made a whole bunch.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 08/11/2017 22:15
  • Post subject: Re: Which is better: The Beach Boys or The Beatles?
bobbyb5 wrote:
DJTommy wrote:
I personally prefer The Beach Boys to The Beatles. I think that what the group did on Pet Sounds beats any album The Beatles ever put out. And I also think it's just as influential. Revolver put pop/rock in all sorts of new directions and was also a milestone in music production (the latter you can give George Martin the credit for), but Pet Sounds really paved the way for what pop/rock could be and can be called the first art pop/rock album. I do love both band, but I prefer Pet Sounds to all of The Beatles discography because it's just more beautiful and, what should I say? Magical? I just feel allot more listening to Pet Sounds than The Beatles can ever make me feel. The arrangements with the harmonies and the orchestration and all that is just unmatched by The Beatles. I can't think of a Beatles song that is more beautiful than The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows". Maybe "Strawberry Fields Forever" might be up there in beautiful arrangements, but it doesn't have the same emotion.

TL;DR: Though both are about equaIly as important, I think The Beach Boys' music and arrangements are better and more beautiful, but The Beatles discography is steadier and because of that they're held in higher regard.

I love The Beach Boys, but there's so much mythology surrounding them now. like the idea you mentioned that they stopped being good because everyone was against Brian Wilson and he was just prevented from being great by all these other bad people who were supposedly intent on blocking his talent. Well, he got rid of all these supposed adversaries, but he didn't suddenly return to making great music. the truth is, like everyone else, your creativity just tends to dry up after a decade or so. this is pretty much the rule in pop music. very few people are making the same quality of music 10 years after their breakthrough. There's also the tendency of music fans to mythologize musicians who had mental health or drug problems, as if these things were the source of their talent. Rock stars who had drug or mental health issues or died very young are always given lots and lots of bonus points.

Trust me when I say that I don't love Brian so much because of his mental problems. I think he's one of the best arrangers and producers of all time. His issues don't really add or take away from the beauty of his work IMO. If anything it's just sad that it struck him at his peak of creativity. And I don't think he stopped making good music after Pet Sounds either, and of course he wouldn't be making music on par with that album for many years, but listening to the Smile sessions it really sounds like they were cooking up something really good, and maybe a bit more support towards Brian would have helped him finish it.
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/11/2017 22:17
  • Post subject:
I have to back Tommy up on this one!!! The Beatles never made anything as beautiful as Pet Sounds. In terms of arrangements, melody and harmony, Brian always had the edge on the Beatles. Even though Smile was a no show the Beach Boys still outdid the the Beatles on their psychedelic output: on Smiley Smile and the off-shoots from Smile on later albums. Their 'back to basics' albums (Wild Honey; Friends; Sunflower) were also great an easily rivalled the Beatles late 60s output.

Don't get me wrong-I love the Beatles and they had a bit more pure rock n roll energy than the Beach Boys, but I've got to go with Brian's pure pop genius on this one. Franz Liszt a close third.

Think we may be fighting a losing battle though Tommy Anxious
DJTommy

• Posted: 08/11/2017 22:27
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
I have to back Tommy up on this one!!! The Beatles never made anything as beautiful as Pet Sounds. In terms of arrangements, melody and harmony, Brian always had the edge on the Beatles. Even though Smile was a no show the Beach Boys still outdid the the Beatles on their psychedelic output: on Smiley Smile and the off-shoots from Smile on later albums. Their 'back to basics' albums (Wild Honey; Friends; Sunflower) were also great an easily rivalled the Beatles late 60s output.

Don't get me wrong-I love the Beatles and they had a bit more pure rock n roll energy than the Beach Boys, but I've got to go with Brian's pure pop genius on this one. Franz Liszt a close third.

Think we may be fighting a losing battle though Tommy Anxious
Good to see someone else who shares the same view. And I totally get what people say about The Beatles having more classic albums, but to me, The Beach Boys at their best beats The Beatles at their best.