Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2011 13:10
  • Post subject: Post-Rock
Sucks.

Really, it might now be my least favorite respectable genre.

To giive you an idea of how much I hate it, let me tell you about my favorite post-rock band, Sigur Ros. Don't get me wrong; Agaetis Bonbon is a pretty good album with some amazing moments, but more than half of it is filler. And their other albums seem to be exponentially worse (at least accprding to Pitchfork). Moreover, their arrogance and pretension is like Kanye, but without the talent and taste to back it up. "We're gonna change the world, whether you like it or not", really? Maybe you did change it a little, but only in the same way that T-Pain did with autotune.

Okay, that's my favorite post-rock band. What do I think of the others?

Slint: Great musicianship, but horrible, horrible songwriting.

Kid A-Era Radiohead: A joke. For a long time, this was in my top 50 most-played albums on iTunes, amd not because it was good. Because people told me it was a "grower", I listened to it over. And over. And over. And to this day, I still think it sucks. As the BBC stated, "Give Johnny his bloomy guitar back!"
Goodspeed: Seth Rogen summed them up best when talking to his girlfriend during the Pineapple Express: "You're gonna get into Godspeed You Black Emperor... And then you'll become a lesbian"
Don Callabero: MATH ROCK?!?!!? ...No. Just no.
Talk Talk: ........(Crickets)......Yawn....
Battles: Okay, these guys aren't too bad. Despite their obscene amount of pretension, they have more taste than most other post-rock bands. And I respect that.

Now, I'd like to end this with some reasons why post-rock sucks.

1. It's prog without the Hammonds: Hammonds sound sexy. Cheesy synth? Not so much.
2. It's too bright; There's simply not enough distortion. This is a huge issue they share with cheesy prog-metal bands like Symphony X.
3. The songwriting is ATROCIOUS: Pardon my rarely-used obscene language, but in the metal community, we're always accusing bands like Dream Theater and Yngwie Malmsteen of what we call "instrumental masturbation", where they don'tknow how to "keep it simple, silly". But wjen you think about it, many of these post-rock bands aren't much better. Seriously, they need consulting from Page and Iomi Services to come up with better riffs.

--------

Okay, guys, I think I got my point across. I'm sorry if my writing is a bit sloppy; I typed this all up on my iPad, so typing was a bit difficult.

But does anyone agree with me on this?
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 08/23/2011 13:35
  • Post subject:

Link
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2011 13:56
  • Post subject:

Link

GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/23/2011 14:30
  • Post subject: Re: Post-Rock
Applerill wrote:
Sucks.

Really, it might now be my least favorite respectable genre.

To giive you an idea of how much I hate it, let me tell you about my favorite post-rock band, Sigur Ros. Don't get me wrong; Agaetis Bonbon is a pretty good album with some amazing moments, but more than half of it is filler. And their other albums seem to be exponentially worse (at least accprding to Pitchfork). Moreover, their arrogance and pretension is like Kanye, but without the talent and taste to back it up. "We're gonna change the world, whether you like it or not", really? Maybe you did change it a little, but only in the same way that T-Pain did with autotune.

Okay, that's my favorite post-rock band. What do I think of the others?

Slint: Great musicianship, but horrible, horrible songwriting.

Kid A-Era Radiohead: A joke. For a long time, this was in my top 50 most-played albums on iTunes, amd not because it was good. Because people told me it was a "grower", I listened to it over. And over. And over. And to this day, I still think it sucks. As the BBC stated, "Give Johnny his bloomy guitar back!"
Goodspeed: Seth Rogen summed them up best when talking to his girlfriend during the Pineapple Express: "You're gonna get into Godspeed You Black Emperor... And then you'll become a lesbian"
Don Callabero: MATH ROCK?!?!!? ...No. Just no.
Talk Talk: ........(Crickets)......Yawn....
Battles: Okay, these guys aren't too bad. Despite their obscene amount of pretension, they have more taste than most other post-rock bands. And I respect that.

Now, I'd like to end this with some reasons why post-rock sucks.

1. It's prog without the Hammonds: Hammonds sound sexy. Cheesy synth? Not so much.
2. It's too bright; There's simply not enough distortion. This is a huge issue they share with cheesy prog-metal bands like Symphony X.
3. The songwriting is ATROCIOUS: Pardon my rarely-used obscene language, but in the metal community, we're always accusing bands like Dream Theater and Yngwie Malmsteen of what we call "instrumental masturbation", where they don'tknow how to "keep it simple, silly". But wjen you think about it, many of these post-rock bands aren't much better. Seriously, they need consulting from Page and Iomi Services to come up with better riffs.

--------

Okay, guys, I think I got my point across. I'm sorry if my writing is a bit sloppy; I typed this all up on my iPad, so typing was a bit difficult.

But does anyone agree with me on this?

I only agree with 100% of what you said Very Happy

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/23/2011 14:31
  • Post subject:
Post-rock isn't about catchy riffs, in fact, that's the whole point of the genre... why would you.... how could you... what?

And not enough distortion? Are we listening to the same genre? There are quite a bit of post-rock bands that have MORE than enough distortion. In fact, most post-rock bands just have piles of distortion, loops and delay effects, they're the anti-clean.

Also, Battles is more math rock than post-rock, but w/e they're similar in some respects.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2011 15:05
Applerill wrote:
Moreover, their arrogance and pretension is like Kanye, but without the talent and taste to back it up. "We're gonna change the world, whether you like it or not", really?

The fuck did you get this from? All the members of Sigur Rós are incredibly humble, good people... :\
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2011 15:16
AlexZangari wrote:
Applerill wrote:
Moreover, their arrogance and pretension is like Kanye, but without the talent and taste to back it up. "We're gonna change the world, whether you like it or not", really?

The fuck did you get this from? All the members of Sigur Rós are incredibly humble, good people... :\

Well, here's what Pitchfork stated about them:
Quote:
Sigur Rós make this bombastic claim on their website: "We are simply gonna change music forever, and the way people think about music. And don't think we can't do it, we will."

Now, I'm not sayimg that Sigur Ros are bad people, but how is that Not arrogant?

Now guys, I hope you aren't taking this personally. I Obviously don't like post rock, though my opinions are no different than what people like Bork and Gary have been saying for years. I wanted to give them the respect they deserved for beliefs like that.
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2011 16:22
Applerill wrote:
Now, I'm not sayimg that Sigur Ros are bad people, but how is that Not arrogant?.

Well, that is very arrogant indeed! Pitchfork should know better, though. Just because it's on the band's website does not mean the band said it themselves... I highly doubt Jónsi's a skilled web designer who codes his own site. Very Happy

Actually, if you do a little searching, you can find right here the actual creators of the site. Also, it appears as if the source of that exact quotation was removed from the site as well, possibly at request of Sigur Rós themselves (more likely by their management, however).

If you can find anything arrogant said by the actually band in interviews, please share. I would be very surprised!
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 08/23/2011 16:55
  • Post subject:
Perhaps you are looking at Pitchfork too much. To be honest the other day I read a news segment on the site where they were discussing Smith Westerns' show at Pukklepop before the disaster, and quoted them as if they were more concerned with the loss of the equipment, when it was actually the interviewer who brought up that fact.

And perhaps the word pretension is being a tad overused here.
  • Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 08/23/2011 20:34
  • Post subject:
pretentious is the most overused word in describing music in the history of this universe and the next one
  • Visit poster's website