THE WORLD WON'T LISTEN
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 9

Wh3n1nR0me

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 09/05/2017 11:08
  • Post subject: The Smiths: Compilation Albums

First off and with Hatful Of Hollow being mentioned in a current hot potato, I was going to open a discussion thread though, it's probably been exhausted before.

With that in mind, I'll approach it from a different angle; how does it stand up against the other Smiths compilations?

I preferred The World Won't Listen for its inclusion of instrumentals but later went bananas over Louder Than Bombs.

There are enough lowlights for me on Hatful to consider it a mismatch and disjointed affair. However, those studio takes might be the USP for others and why there is so much acclaim and love.

Please leave a vote for your favourite compilation and tell us what does it for you!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States
  • Posted: 09/05/2017 12:15
  • Post subject:
I pick Singles because I only like their singles. I've been saying for years that i think their albums suck except for the singles. And I own Singles and I'm very happy with it. Because I get to hear all of their only good songs all in a row. Although there's not quite enough good ones to fill a whole CD, but pretty close.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States
  • Posted: 09/05/2017 13:12
  • Post subject:
Keep in mind that Hatful of Hallow was not released in the states until 1993!!! I never paid import prices! I'm poor and there's more than enough good music to go around. I'm a bargain shopper. lol.

So, I at first didn't like hatful of hallow. The songs felt off because they're slightly different (being the BBC recordings I believe) from the ones I heard thousands & thousands of times by then. . But now I full on LOVE it and listen to it lots. Anyway to get my Smiths fix!!!

Louder Than Bombs is my favorite. It was also the first Smiths album I owned on vinyl as opposed to copied on cassette from a friend. Most of record collection back in my teens was copied from my friends on cassette. lol. Again, I was poor. lol. Long live TDK and Maxell! The pre-Spotify solution.

I should listen to The World Won't Listen. I've only listened to it a few times. I like the singles cd okay, but I already knew all the songs when it came out so it's really not essential or anything. Unless you don't like the Smiths. lol.

tl;dr: LOUDER THAN BOMBS but Hatful Of Hallow also rules!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Wh3n1nR0me

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 09/05/2017 13:22
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I pick Singles because I only like their singles. I've been saying for years that i think their albums suck except for the singles. And I own Singles and I'm very happy with it. Because I get to hear all of their only good songs all in a row. Although there's not quite enough good ones to fill a whole CD, but pretty close.

As a Smiths fan I can state the antithesis. While I liked the singles, most of them anyway, they were of commercial appeal and for me, the album tracks were everything good about them. If I ranked my ten favourite Smiths songs, I am quite doubtful that a single would feature among them.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States
  • Posted: 09/05/2017 13:40
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Keep in mind that Hatful of Hallow was not released in the states until 1993!!! I never paid import prices! I'm poor and there's more than enough good music to go around. I'm a bargain shopper. lol.

So, I at first didn't like hatful of hallow. The songs felt off because they're slightly different (being the BBC recordings I believe) from the ones I heard thousands & thousands of times by then. . But now I full on LOVE it and listen to it lots. Anyway to get my Smiths fix!!!

Louder Than Bombs is my favorite. It was also the first Smiths album I owned on vinyl as opposed to copied on cassette from a friend. Most of record collection back in my teens was copied from my friends on cassette. lol. Again, I was poor. lol. Long live TDK and Maxell! The pre-Spotify solution.

I should listen to The World Won't Listen. I've only listened to it a few times. I like the singles cd okay, but I already knew all the songs when it came out so it's really not essential or anything. Unless you don't like the Smiths. lol.

tl;dr: LOUDER THAN BOMBS but Hatful Of Hallow also rules!!!!

Don't forget Memorex!!!! they were my favorite.
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 09/05/2017 14:59
  • Post subject:
The problem with Louder Than Bombs is that it contains that truly awful Twinkle cover 'Golden Lights'. It is the only track they recorded that I don't like.
  • Visit poster's website
Wh3n1nR0me

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 09/05/2017 15:01
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:
The problem with Louder Than Bombs is that it contains that truly awful Twinkle cover 'Golden Lights'. It is the only track they recorded that I don't like.

Definitely the Achilles heel. Truly awful is perhaps being kind.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2017 16:18
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:

The Smiths albums most certainly do not suck...
  • Visit poster's website