Recommend me some jazz :)

View previous topic :: View next topic
badger

• Posted: 09/06/2017 10:20
  • Post subject: Recommend me some jazz :)
I’m looking for jazz in the vein of A love supreme, juju, bitches brew, journey in satchidinanda etc. and don’t really know who to look at or where to start. if you’ll excuse my lack of proper specificity as i don’t know how to define jazz genres all that well, i think i’m basically looking for jazz-fusion with a strong emphasis on the jazz, and/or ‘spiritual jazz’ that doesn’t venture too far into the ‘hippy-dippy’ but remains quite soulful. a love supreme essentially is the exact, perfect jazz vibe for me but that’s obviously a one off really. i’m looking for stuff with a little more roughness than for example time out! and kind of blue.

I’m not really looking for this kind of stuff but just for more an idea of my taste I do really dig - out to lunch, let my children hear music, black saint and the sinner lady, kind of blue, black unity, mingus ah um, monk’s music, flying lotus, dorothy ashby and a couple Hancock albums amongst other stuff.

I don’t really get on with albert ayler, art blakey, sun ra or mahuvishnu orchestra (but I’m open to being told I’m approaching them wrong or looking in the wrong places) and i’ve not really explored coleman or komeda quintet yet.

if no artists or albums specifically come to mind, any recommendation of documentaries, playlists, or reading in the ballpark of the jazz era/styles i’m swinging towards would be appreciated!

thanks BEA! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/06/2017 21:41
  • Post subject:
Off the top of my head ... All of these are really extraordinary, among the greatest jazz albums of all time:

Based on what you said in your post, I separated them into "definitely recommended to you" and "probably recommended to you":

Definitely
Lady of the Mirrors - Anthony Davis (1980)
The Survivor's Suite - Keith Jarrett (1976)
Ptah, the El Daoud - Alice Coltrane (1970)
Extensions - McCoy Tyner (1970)
Sahara – McCoy Tyner (1972)
The Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett (1975)
Karma - Pharoah Sanders (1969)
Live - Spring Heel Jack (2003)
In A Silent Way - Miles Davis (1969)
Impressions - John Coltrane (1961)

Probably
Even the Sounds Shine - Myra Melford (1994)
Crystals - Sam Rivers (1974)
Art & Aviation - Jane Ira Bloom (1992)
Conference of the Birds - Dave Holland (1972)
Epitaph - Charles Mingus (1962)
Liberation Music Orchestra - Charlie Haden (1969)
We Insist! Freedom Now Suite - Max Roach (1960)
Episteme - Anthony Davis (1981)
The Bandwagon - Jason Moran (2003)
Chasing Paint - Jane Ira Bloom (2003)
Blood Sutra - Vijay Iyer (2003)
Hemispheres - Anthony Davis (1983)
Fractured Fairy Tales - Tim Berne (1989)
Before We Were Born - Bill Frisell (1988)
As Wichita Falls, So Falls Wichita - Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays (1981)
Tijuana Moods - Charles Mingus (1957)

Last edited by AfterHours on 09/06/2017 21:52; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 09/06/2017 21:41
  • Post subject:
Karma by Pharoah Sanders is a fantastic spiritual album (hope it ain't too "hippy dippy" for you). Besides that, if you dig Miles Davis, his discography is definitely worth digging into. He's covered lots of different styles, and In a Silent Way and On the Corner are some favourites of mine. So there you go.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2017 00:57
  • Post subject:
Lots of good recommendations already.

Let me echo the recommendations to expand your look at Miles Davis, especially In a Silent Way and On the Corner. Definitely also have a look at Jack Johnson, which is Miles' most rock-oriented fusion album, but still jazzy and still Miles through and through. Consider also Filles de Kilimanjaro and Nefertiti.

And another big second for Pharaoh Sanders' Karma.
One other sax oriented disc that should meet your criteria that I recommend highly is Joe Henderson's Power to the People. Another must have IMO is Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth.

Back to the trumpet, check out Donald Byrd's Electric Byrd. I would also recommend you make a run at Freddie Hubbard's First Light, Lee Morgan's First Light, and Thad Jones' Consummation. If you take to any of these, look for more by these artists from the same time period. For something much more recent, you might want to listen to Paolo Fresu's Alma.

If you like good vibes, I highly recommend Milt Jackson's Sunflower

On the piano side, I echo all the recommendations for McCoy Tyner albums and, if you like some African influence, add in Time for Tyner. Other must haves in this vein include Kenny Drew's Undercurrent and most of all, Andrew Hill's Point of Departure. And lets not forget Herbie Hancock! Look to Maiden Voyage as an early example of your request and then for a later example, look for Mwandishi.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2017 01:00
  • Post subject:
I would try this one.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 09/07/2017 02:12
  • Post subject:
I would suggest finding jazz you enjoy by: (1) taking a few shots in the dark, like what you've already heard or what you find from this thread; (2) figuring out the players you enjoy on those recordings; (3) checking out other recordings those players are on, as leaders or not; (4) finding other players on those recordings that you enjoy; (5) rinse/repeat steps 2-4. If you want a resource to separate the wheat from the chaff in a given player's catalog/credits, I think allmusic is usually a good resource (their four star rating tends to be a threshold for good to great albums) and their advanced search allows you to find recordings in particular styles, from particular years, that use particular instruments, etc. Recognize that players careers typically last decades; people change a lot on that time frame and consequently their style can too, so if you don't like a recording from someone, don't write them away just yet. Likewise, think of improvisation as a conversation: the conversation between two friends (i.e. frequent collaborators) is going to look a lot different than the conversation between two people meeting for the first time; the way a person converses/improvises one-on-one is also going to look a lot different than the way they converse in a larger group. As you become acclimated to what you want to get out of the music, you'll likely also start thinking about format (solos, duos, trios, quartets, big band, etc.), instruments (reeds or horns, cornet or trumpet, soprano sax or tenor sax), style/genre (free jazz, free improvisation, bop, fusion, ~~spiritual~~~, m-base), the gradient of composition and improvisation (e.g. highly complex arrangements or an exercise in pushing timbral boundaries), and other stuff. As you recognize what you like, it only gets easier to get to recordings you'll really enjoy (and by yourself), and it becomes easier to get rec'd stuff from others compared to "hey, I listened to Miles Davis, John Coltrane, please rec." I will say that, based on the last two Talk Talk albums in your overall, that you check out Spring Heel Jack's The Sweetness of the Water and Songs & Themes.