Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy"
29%
 29%  [12]
Total Votes : 41

Space-Dementia

United States
  • Posted: 09/07/2017 02:50
  • Post subject: To Pimp A Butterfly vs. Good Kid vs. Dark Fantasy
I'm in the process of renewing my overall chart. It's a difficult process choosing between albums, and I'm especially torn between these three. I'm curious to see what you guys think, and please explain why.
Personally, I think Good Kid is the most consistent out of the three. The only "skippable" songs on it are Poetic Justice and Compton, but even those songs are pretty good. Meanwhile MBDTF hits much higher peaks than GOod Kid, but it's not the most consistent album, and it starts to drag a bit near the end. And I feel that To Pimp A Butterfly is the best artistic achievement out of the three, although I don't listen to it nearly as often because it's not an album to throw on in the car or with friends and there's a few songs that I don't care for at all on it (Momma and Hood Politics), but the peaks are about as high as Dark Fantasy's.
So, yeah. What are your thoughts?
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States
  • Posted: 09/07/2017 04:24
  • Post subject:
dark fantasy and gkmc are definitely close for me -- to pimp a butterfly i care very little for as a whole, its just such an ordeal, so dense. maybe im just stupid.

but between the other two i had to give it to kanye. i agree that side 2 is not as good as side 1, but i just see myself going back to that record more often of the two.

also -- poetic justice is the best song on gkmc!!! for sure!!

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 09/07/2017 04:30
  • Post subject:
Dark Fantasy is not even in the same solar system.

Slight edge to GKMC over TPAB.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 09/07/2017 04:41
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:
i agree that side 2 is not as good as side 1

Space-Dementia wrote:
but it's not the most consistent album, and it starts to drag a bit near the end.

Nooooooot to be problematic, but what?

Devil In A New Dress onward is easily the best part of the record for me. Those 5 tracks (not counting the outro) are sublime. The hip-hop ballad formatting of Blame Game and Runaway haven't been topped in my opinion, even by Kendrick's attempts. Surprised you guys feel that way. The last half hour is really what takes that album to the next level for me. Only track on MBDTF I've sorta grown stale of is So Appalled, dab smack in the middle.

Anyway, top 3 albums of the decade for me. Hard pick between TPAB and MBDTF.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 09/07/2017 05:02
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Nooooooot to be problematic, but what?

Devil In A New Dress onward is easily the best part of the record for me. Those 5 tracks (not counting the outro) are sublime. The hip-hop ballad formatting of Blame Game and Runaway haven't been topped in my opinion, even by Kendrick's attempts. Surprised you guys feel that way. The last half hour is really what takes that album to the next level for me. Only track on MBDTF I've sorta grown stale of is So Appalled, dab smack in the middle.

Anyway, top 3 albums of the decade for me. Hard pick between TPAB and MBDTF.

I'd agree with that. Runaway is definitely one of Kanye's best moments, and probably my favorite song by him.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer
  • Posted: 09/07/2017 11:28
  • Post subject:
Good Kid > Dark Fantasy > TPAB

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States
  • Posted: 09/07/2017 13:57
  • Post subject:
MBDTF > GKMC > TPAB
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States
  • Posted: 09/07/2017 14:15
  • Post subject:
TPAB. No questions about it. Keep in mind I do have to listen to the other records. But TPAB just has the advantage due to having the jazzy, funky, neo soul and hip hop that just grabs my attention.

Last edited by Luigii on 09/07/2017 21:23; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy
  • Posted: 09/07/2017 16:59
  • Post subject:
TPAB>MBDTF>GKMC

To Pimp a Butterfly is honestly the best album of the decade. The lyrics touch on all sorts of inner and societal problems. It doesn't only speak out against racism and police brutality and all that, but it also addresses the problems in these black communities with speaking out against gang violence and similar. It also touches on subjects like division of the rich and the poor as well as being a very personal album about things like loyalty, depression and feelings of guilt. I also love how it's not just all dark, but every now and then a little uplifting with "I" and the hopefull "Alright". On top of it all it has some very creative instrumentation incorporating jazz and funk.

Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is a perfect insight into the life growing up in "the hood" and talks about things like peer pressure and (again) gang violence. It is full of killer tracks and great production with a more traditional hip hop sound.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is very different from the two Kendrick albums. It's lyrics style is especially different and is a great insight into the troubled soap opera-like life of a superstar. It has fantastic production and many amazing tracks.

So all in all three awesome records. But there's something some of you may disagree with, but I think both artists have been rather mediocre ever since these career highlights. I wasn't that big on neither Yeezus, The Life of Pablo or Damn. None of them were any bad, but they weren't very good either. What do the rest of you think?
boyd94
  • Posted: 09/07/2017 18:20
  • Post subject:
Dark Twisted Fantasy is overwrought, overproduced and generally unimpressive. It doesn't hold a candle to Kanye's best in my book; Late Registration and Yeezus. It boasts considerable craftsmanship, all the bells and whistles, a couple of genuine bangers, but listening to Yeezus especially opens my eyes to how bloated and flabby MBDTF is. I probably even prefer Life of Pablo for its relative lack of pretense.

The only contest here is Kendrick's best. Not easy but it has to go to To Pimp a Butterfly.
  • Visit poster's website