R.E.M.
39%
 39%  [25]
Total Votes : 63

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States
  • Posted: 09/04/2017 05:55
  • Post subject: U2 vs The Smith's vs R.E.M. (kinda)
(yes The Smith's are likely going to "win" the poll - but vote anyway)

Growing up I remember often hearing, oh you like U2, you must love The Smith's.

The Smith's are ranked where U2 was ranked on this site when I joined it (11th) back in 2011. It seems new music lovers discover The Smith's and fall in love. U2 on the other hand possibly dropped rankings due to their latest release backlash and overall degrading quality. Possibly their music to some isn't aging well. Not sure of the decline to be honest. But what I do know is the love for the Smith's

Question time: (if you answer cause Bono is a pompous prick you lose logic/good human being/helpful points (as if that means anything)... unless you have a good reason to say it and if you do, please explain - simply name calling doesn't really help discussion).

1) Why do you think it is that U2 was highly ranked on this site and has since fallen?
2) What is it about The Smith's that makes them higher ranked/their rank has grown?
3) Has U2's longevity actually hurt their "legacy" or did they just suck all along?
4) R.E.M. has a similar jangle and much longer career - what makes them rank much lower than both groups?
5) What do you like most about each band (R.E.M., U2, and The Smith's) and what do you like least?
6) Which vocalist do you find has the best vocals? Best Lyrics? Best Guitarist/Bassist/Drummer?
7) How much exposure to each band do you have? (listened to complete discography multiple times to I've heard a song or two a few times)

Any other questions I'd love to add/hear from you/points of discussion you find interesting, feel free to bring them to the table.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 09/04/2017 06:46
  • Post subject:
1) U2 has continued to make albums with negligible quality, while The Smiths are encapsulated in the sound of the 80's.
2. I have no clue. I don't think they're that special.
3. Refer to question 1. This happens with a lot of bands.
4. I don't think that R.E.M. is underrated, the other 2 are overrated. R.E.M. late career albums aren't quite as bad as U2's.
5. I like U2 in the 80's, not so much after that. I like R.E.M. ability to adapt to change throughout their career, I don't like that they are broken up. I guess Johnny Marr is fine, but Morrissey is a bit of a whiner.
6. Well, since my favorite out of these options is R.E.M. I'll just pick the band.
7. I've listened to most of R.E.M. and U2, I'm sure there are a few tracks I'm not as familiar with. As for The Smiths, I've listened to enough to know that they are pretty bland.

Top 3 Songs

U2
1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. Red Hill Mining Town
3. Indian Summer Sky

The Smiths
1. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
2. The Headmaster Ritual
3. How Soon Is Now?

R.E.M. Top 15 Songs
1. Finest Worksong
2. Drive
3. Texarkana
4. Exhuming McCarthy
5. Man On The Moon
6. Old Man Kensey
7. Feeling Gravity's Pull
8. Harborcoat
9. Moral Kiosk
10. Cuyahoga
11. Monty Got A Raw Deal
12. West of The Fields
13. Bang And Blame
14. Undertow
15. Living Well Is The Best Revenge

Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 09/04/2017 07:12; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Wh3n1nR0me

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 09/04/2017 07:02
  • Post subject:
Sadly I just wrote a whole post answering all the questions and it was quite in-depth. Somehow a movement of the mousepad erased the whole deal and I am that angry I really will not be bothered to type it all over again. Brick wall

In essence:

1) REM
2) The Smiths
3) U2
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy
  • Posted: 09/04/2017 13:45
  • Post subject:
I narrowly give it to R.E.M. On 80s output alone I'd go with The Smiths, but I like a lot of R.E.Ms 90s work and even some of their later stuff so overall they are my favourite. Not sure if any band can match them for their consistency over 15 albums or so. U2 definitely have their moments, particularly Achtung Baby, but I've never really investigated much of their earlier albums and find them a bit less imaginative overall compared to R.E.M. and the Smiths.
glynspsa

United States
  • Posted: 09/04/2017 13:59
  • Post subject:
i narrowly went with U2 at their best they are the best of the three at their worst REM is probably better, the smiths i never really liked, too depressing. i am not real big on any of the three but id take u2 over the other two. I do actually think Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, and Unforgetable Fire are excellent albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Wh3n1nR0me

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 09/04/2017 14:13
  • Post subject:
U2

For me, the first three albums were best. I could stomach The Joshua Tree but it bore traits of things to come. I think they sold out to pop, abandoning their alt rock stuff which was just fine.

Boy had a theme and an identity and October followed suit; Rejoice I reckon is one of rock's finest four minutes, right up there with Debaser.

War was good too, some catchy songs as well as the prominent singles Two Hearts and New Years Day.

The Unforgettable Fire, maybe the start of the slide? I do like the live affair, Under A Blood Red Sky though, only eight tracks but fantastic performances of The Electric Co and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

U2 have longevity but I'm amazed they're considered a supergroup.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States
  • Posted: 09/04/2017 14:27
  • Post subject:
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States
  • Posted: 09/04/2017 14:28
  • Post subject:
Wh3n1nR0me wrote:
U2

For me, the first three albums were best. I could stomach The Joshua Tree but it bore traits of things to come. I think they sold out to pop, abandoning their alt rock stuff which was just fine.

Boy had a theme and an identity and October followed suit; Rejoice I reckon is one of rock's finest four minutes, right up there with Debaser.

War was good too, some catchy songs as well as the prominent singles Two Hearts and New Years Day.

The Unforgettable Fire, maybe the start of the slide? I do like the live affair, Under A Blood Red Sky though, only eight tracks but fantastic performances of The Electric Co and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

U2 have longevity but I'm amazed they're considered a supergroup.

My thoughts exactly!!! Cool
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States
  • Posted: 09/04/2017 14:31
  • Post subject:
1. Because the longer a band has been gone the more mythology Springs up around them, and since U2 are still around they haven't built up as much mythology as The Smiths.
2. The Smiths are ranked higher because Morrissey is a more unusual and memorable character than Bono to most people
3. Not sure. Probably
4. I would guess that the fewer albums you have the higher you would rank and when you have a shitload of albums as REM does the less special the albums would seem to appear to people. Smith's only had a handful of albums which is to their advantage.
5. What I like best about the Smiths is Morrissey singing. What I like best about REM is the sound that they came up with on their first couple albums. What I like best about ,U2 is, well, I really don't know.
6. Best vocals. Smiths. Best lyrics. Smiths. Best guitar /drummer. REM
7. I've listened fully to only The Smiths discography. And the other two bands most but not all.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States
  • Posted: 09/04/2017 15:33
  • Post subject:
Wh3n1nR0me wrote:
Sadly I just wrote a whole post answering all the questions and it was quite in-depth. Somehow a movement of the mousepad erased the whole deal and I am that angry I really will not be bothered to type it all over again. Brick wall

In essence:

1) REM
2) The Smiths
3) U2

dammit - sorry mate. hate it when that happens. Intrigued by what you said.

EDIT: I'm guessing it was a slightly more elaborate version of what you later wrote, possibly giving the other sides a run down.
  • Visit poster's website