October 31st! Mr. Green

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smile-Sessions-...amp;sr=8-2

Can't wait !!!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green

• Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2011 22:52
  • Post subject:
I still haven't gotten past 9 albums on my new chart... but I have an EP, Ludo's Broken Bride.

In my personal opinion, not all EP's should be considered "non-album material." Broken Bride is just a 27-minute, five-song CD, but it is a piece of art just like any full-length LP. It's a rock opera, in fact. It deserves it's spot on my list.

If you ask me, the only reason an EP should be removed is if it's just promotional. For example, Radiohead's My Iron Lung, whose title song is from the as of then unreleased The Bends. All the other songs are just B-Sides/The Bends outtakes and an acoustic version of their previous hit, Creep (funny, being that the subject of "My Iron Lung" is that they couldn't stand being known for that one song...). It's function wasn't to be a notable work, it was just to be a sample of the upcoming album mixed with other tracks they deemed unworthy.

Arcade Fire's self-titled EP is an opposite case. It's made up of songs that weren't recorded for Funeral, or used as B-Sides for it. LCD Soundsystem's 45:33 is an interesting case, it has just one track, but it's longer than some LP's. But you can't call a song an album. Weezer's Green Album is a ten-track work, but is just about the same length as Broken Bride.

I think there has to be careful consideration when removing EP's. However, get the fuck rid of all the compilations and box sets >.>
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2011 22:59
  • Post subject:
Here's an easy guide to what can be considered a true album:

1. Created as a complete work, not a compilation.
2. At least twenty minutes in length. However, this number can be adjusted in a reverse correlation to the amount of songs (for example, if there's only two songs, they better be long songs to make it an album. However, if there are ten songs, but the problem is they're all short, you can let it slide with just 15 minutes or so)
3. Must be more than one song. If the tracks are "Really Long Song Part 1," "Really Long Song Part 2," etc. THAT IS ONE SONG. There's not anything else for amount of tracks that declare whether or not it can be an album. I mean, Kind of Blue is just 5 songs, but no one argues that, and it's one of the greatest albums ever.
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 09/05/2011 23:18
  • Post subject:

59 minutes of new material... on an EP !

• Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 09/05/2011 23:20
  • Post subject:
And what of the "Magical Mystery Tour" (double EP / compilation LP) ? Lol

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 09/06/2011 00:50
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:
And what of the "Magical Mystery Tour" (double EP / compilation LP) ? Lol

I count it as a compilation and would never have it on a chart. But different strokes yo.

Also I as well is super super excited for the SMiLE box set! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Wombi

• Posted: 09/06/2011 00:57
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:

3. Must be more than one song. If the tracks are "Really Long Song Part 1," "Really Long Song Part 2," etc. THAT IS ONE SONG. There's not anything else for amount of tracks that declare whether or not it can be an album. I mean, Kind of Blue is just 5 songs, but no one argues that, and it's one of the greatest albums ever.

I'm not sure I understand the point your making but I think in terms of being an album - running time trumps number of tracks (see 'Close To The Edge' by Yes, 'Chill Out' by KLF (sometimes divided into multiple tracks but often mixed into one)) and as Cellar pointed out with the hour long EP above even that doesn't always stand. So essentially it depends upon what the artist decides to release it as.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/06/2011 16:49
  • Post subject:
What about Thick As A Brick? the whole album is one, very long, song.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/06/2011 19:47
  • Post subject:
My original thoughts were that EPs masquerading as singles shouldn't really be allowed. I don't have a problem with some of the other examples that have been pointed out as most of these could be seen as valid 'albums' (if not in name)
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 09/07/2011 08:56
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
My original thoughts were that EPs masquerading as singles shouldn't really be allowed. I don't have a problem with some of the other examples that have been pointed out as most of these could be seen as valid 'albums' (if not in name)

Agree with this. There is a difference between a mini-album EP (My Iron Lung, All Delighted People etc.) and a single EP (iTunes EPs etc.) One 'EP' I have always listened to is Josh Pyke's Feeding The Wolves. 7 tracks and better than many of the other tracks he has produced.
  • Visit poster's website