Garage Rock

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 10:54
  • Post subject: Garage Rock
What are the greatest Garage Rock songs or garage rock bands? My favorite is Psychotic Reaction by the Count Five. Here it is. Fuckin awesome.

https://youtu.be/fBTT3VPriV8

But this is the one most often mentioned as the best garage rock record. Or at least the most famous. But it's probably famous more because of it's unintelligible singing than anything else. There's not a single intelligible word in the whole song. Other than the title. But it's one of my favorite one anyways.

https://youtu.be/LNSMbmXBbhE

What do you think are the best garage rock records??
Note: it has to be from the 60s in order to be garage rock. There is no such thing as 70s garage Rock.
There's no such thing as intentional garage Rock. And it can't simply be bands who started by playing in their garage. Because a lot of bands who started in their garage didn't make records that sounded like it. Nobody would describe the records they made as garage rock because they just don't sound like it. The Beach Boys started in their garage yet the music they made isn't garage Rock.

Last edited by bobbyb5 on 10/16/2017 13:19; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 10:59
  • Post subject:
I get confused about what is and isnt garage rock and when it is also or only psychedelic rock, like is stuff uploaded here garage rock https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfvChZ...SjySoCA7EA
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 11:14
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
I get confused about what is and isnt garage rock and when it is also or only psychedelic rock, like is stuff uploaded here garage rock https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfvChZ...SjySoCA7EA

The way that I think about it, garage Rock was not a style but a sound. It's basically a rough, unprofessionally recorded.sound.
It sounds like it was recorded on primitive technology with primitive-sounding musicians. So it could be psychedelic as well as other styles of Rock. Of course some of the most famous ones people would describe as psychedelic. I only recognized very few on the playlist you posted. But it looks like an awesome playlist. Can't wait to hear them. And it looks like most of them are Garage Rock Revival. Not 60s music, but music being made today by garage Rock Revival bands. Some of which are pretty awesome. I like a lot of it.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 11:19
  • Post subject:
Btw, I'd love to hear how you guys would define garage Rock. Most people think it's pretty hard to Define. I'd love to here your definition or description of it. Might be completely different than mine.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 11:20
  • Post subject:
as far as I know psychedelicguy only uploads old stuff tho I think some is 70s. introduced me to freedom's children, they're rly cool tho I think the song was 1970.

and honestly id have no idea how to define garage rock, like if punk is in the middle and pop punk is on one side of it then garage rock is on the other side?
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 11:28
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
as far as I know psychedelicguy only uploads old stuff tho I think some is 70s. introduced me to freedom's children, they're rly cool tho I think the song was 1970.

and honestly id have no idea how to define garage rock, like if punk is in the middle and pop punk is on one side of it then garage rock is on the other side?

Idk. Some of the photos of the Bands in that playlist look pretty current. It looks like a lot of new bands to me.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 11:31
  • Post subject:
And also, I consider 1970 part of the 60s. The 60s really didn't end until 72 or 73 or so. I mean musically and culturally. Decades don't end right on time.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 11:53
  • Post subject:
wait are we looking at the same link? it's not really a playlist, it's a channel. and I mean a lot of these graphic design things are back in vogue now but like Kath 1974, John Sase is 1985 so that is newer than I expected, but Marc Johnson 1972, Virgil Caine 1971, String Driven Thing 1970, Richard Soutar 1976... shit I rly thought there were more 60s things on here, maybe in the older uploads. but I really don't think there's anything on here too far into the current day.

Also I'm really not so well versed on the 60s but I get the idea of fuzzy end date for decades, like the early 90s still had a lot of 80s in them.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 11:56
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
wait are we looking at the same link? it's not really a playlist, it's a channel. and I mean a lot of these graphic design things are back in vogue now but like Kath 1974, John Sase is 1985 so that is newer than I expected, but Marc Johnson 1972, Virgil Caine 1971, String Driven Thing 1970, Richard Soutar 1976... shit I rly thought there were more 60s things on here, maybe in the older uploads. but I really don't think there's anything on here too far into the current day.

Also I'm really not so well versed on the 60s but I get the idea of fuzzy end date for decades, like the early 90s still had a lot of 80s in them.

The one I'm looking at is PsychedelicGuys Channel. Not really a playlist. It's the one that you posted.

Look at some of the pictures. They just look like hipsters.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 12:05
  • Post subject:
Every song on this list I found online would be my perfect definition of the very best garage rock hits.
I love every one of these.

https://www.thoughtco.com/garage-rocks-...ts-2521884
  • Visit poster's website