Around The World In 80 Or So Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/27/2020 15:52
  • Post subject:

Zelená Pošta by Pavol Hammel & Marián Varga

Psych-rock/ prog mix. Somewhat run of the mill in my opinion, but it might just be right up some people's alleys. The duo kinda looks like an attorney and their client, which somehow makes this better.

Colours Of One by Stanley Roots

It's... well, passable. Not my type of reggae though. Stanley's going back-and-forth between guitar-heavy tracks and tackier choruses. Occasionally he hits it, but it's already pretty dated.

Desire 願う by Spazzkid

This is one of those dudes who just knows he has to do something musical with his life. I think he's done near everything at this point, and he's pretty young. Solid production here (chillwave, post-dubstep, that wheelhouse).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/27/2020 16:19
  • Post subject:
Getting down to the wire Cool

Have to say, this went smoother than last time. Even though it was only 2.5 years that passed since I did this last, album archive accessibility and the ability to produce albums has skyrocketed, and finding records was much easier than last time.

At the end of this I'm going to post my 10 favourite finds. Think that might help boil it down for people looking for recs.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/28/2020 16:12
  • Post subject:

Indexi by Indexi

This hit above expectations. Short record, only a couple tracks, but they're all solid rock compositions. I think this is a comp, so that might be why it's a great selection, but everything here is top-notch. Cover's crazy dated, but the music holds a lot better.

Open Loops by Pete Philly

Was it smart to listen to this directly after the new Blu & Exile? No. Wasn't until about the halfway point I realized it was pretty good. Unique production, decent bars, and the guy knows how to rap. Reminds me of a time lost in underground hip-hop. Things like this just don't exist anymore.

Leslie "Hutch" Hutchinson

Breaking code here. This isn't an album. *gasp*

Just a dude who didn't release an album.

100s of songs.

Some harder to find than others.

One of the biggest cabaret stars of all time.

Lovers include Cole Porter and Edwina Mountbatten.

Downton Abbey inspiration.

Knew how to play piano.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/30/2020 21:45
  • Post subject:

Αγκάθθιν ● Angathin by Monsieur Doumani

40º Of Sunshine by Bibi Tanga & The Selenites

Both of these are fun, but I haven't a clue what they're thinking making them Laughing

Energetic, fun, celebratory... and definitely a little weird. Both are genre mushes, particularly the Bibi Tanga record, but I'd still give them reviews landing on the more positive side of things.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/02/2020 15:26
  • Post subject:

Pjesme S Planine by Drago Mlinarec

Clover by Alban Darche/ Sebastien Boiss...is Pommier

Ah— remember the good times? Watchin' sports. Scarfing something hot on a stick while staring at a tiny screen propped up in the corner of a pizzeria surrounded by fifty plastic chairs and a smidge of alcohol. Remember that time Spain lost to Russia? That was embarrassing. Not sure what happened there. Remember people? Seeing people? Together, in a group. Hi-faves. Hugs. Oh, the nostalgia....
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/03/2020 14:58
  • Post subject:

Miniatures De Auto Rhythm by Domenique Dumont

Comme Ça by Domenique Dumont

Nighttime summer grooves from a time nighttime summer grooves still existed (2018).

Two fairly short releases by Domenique Dumont. They sound great on headphones. Despite being releases years apart, you can really just go back-to-back with these two.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/04/2020 16:18
  • Post subject:

Truth Inside The Shades by Persefone

... this just isn't my thing. I won't make any other comments. Won't say it's bad, won't say it's good. Haven't a clue. It's... synth-y melodic death metal, and I've heard it done better. Second half is better than the first.

Aralkum by Galya Bisengalieva

Now this I like Smile. Minimalistic neo-classical. Beautiful stuff. Would make a fantastic film soundtrack. Mix is a smidge low, but I think that's on purpose. My... erm... other entry from Kazakhstan wasn't actually from Kazakhstan... kinda like how Matana Roberts isn't from Indonesia. This is a lovely new release though, definitely gets a thumbs up.

Barefoot In The Snow by Susi Varming

So cold there's only one chord per song. Hands are frozen to the guitar neck. So frosty.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/05/2020 16:21
  • Post subject:

Yol Bolsin by Sevara Nazarkhan

Uzbekistan, who keeps insisting I come eat their horses, hasn't been the biggest international influence on music, but I'm glad this popped up. Was worried it'd be a slog, but it ended up being a unique and fairly enjoyable record. Vocals weren't always entirely my thing, a little drone-y at times, but the instrumentation's solid. If I tried to explain how it sounds I might end up with twenty different elements of other genres. It's this odd mush that somehow procured nothing else comparable.

Mare Verborum by Kayno Yesno Slonce

The soundtrack to Moby Dick. There's hints of almost traditional Scottish and Indian undertones here, strung out in a post-rock structure constantly being consumed by waves. Takes a little to get into it, but it's truly a very good release. Surprised it didn't get too much traction when it came out— it's on par with any other post-rock album I've heard in the past 5 years.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/06/2020 18:05
  • Post subject:

Terrestrial Spirits by Bankie Banx

In My Blood (En Mi Sangre) by Breed 77

• Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/08/2020 21:38
  • Post subject:

An American Hero by Philippe Hallais

Walking underneath a glitching cave in a video game you found from the dollar bin at a store that doesn't usually sell video game but for some reason well would you look at that! a bin of video games! why's my screen goin fuzzy omg my screen the grey it's coming lef tot right and up annnn I wooonnnnnnn*zaap**zaap**ffffaaaade°*bbbbzzzz°

Red Rose by The K.A.B.s

I made a damn account on some obscure streaming site to listen to this. Had to resend the activaction code 4 times. Haven't a clue what they're going to do with my information. Probably sold to somebody with a secret codename by now. They're after me. They know everything. How this cassette ended up in some bizarre corner of the web on a little known platform instead of somewhere people would actually listen to it is beyond me, but I wouldn't of expected it any other way. Nauru isn't exactly a musical treasure chest plethora... my last release from there was basically a drone tone stretched over half an hour. The fact there's a legit release from there from a 80's makes up for it.
  • Visit poster's website